Enforcement against reckless Jet Ski users on the Medway

xyachtdave

Visit site
Well as usual the warm weather brings the nuisance jet ski users to the Medway.

This morning we were taking people out as part of our clubs open day, very light winds and kids in dinghies drifting around, probably not the place for weaving around through the moorings at about 35 knots on a jet ski in a 6 knot zone.

The jet ski riders do like to look at you to see if you have noticed how wonderfully skilled they are, one of these trio stopped to do some donuts right next to the boat before steaming off to catch his mates up.

if only they'd have noticed the Police boat with a pair of useful 350 hp engines on it in the middle of the river a few hundred metres ahead who proceeded to stop them.

Funnily enough they didn't look in our direction when we passed slowly by (twice) as they received some words of wisdom from the Police.

We had 6 children on board who were waving at the police, who waved back politely and were saying things along the lines of 'Look they've been naughty!' really loudly while pointing at the jet ski chaps who appeared to have gone deaf as well as blind

All very strange as 2 minutes earlier they were very keen for a bit of eye contact....

Well done Kent Police and more of this please.

IMG_2514.jpg

xyachtdave

Visit site
Saw a rib at Gillingham chasing others down a fortnight ago, not before time. Confiscate the machines and offer to drop the riders off at Darnet Fort so they can make their way home.

Is that a red rib with ‘harbour master’ flags on it? Seen that a couple of times recently but unsure who’s it is and how it’s being financed.

Can only be a good thing, it’s been a bit lawless for a while on the Medway.

It can’t be that hard to join a jet ski club so you can launch and use them sensibly, there’s enough water for everybody out there.

Edit - 30 seconds on google….
JET SKI LAUNCH SITES KENT MARGATE BOAT LAUNCHING SLIPWAYS RAMPS JETSKI SALES BRP PART DEALER SEADOO SERVICE SKIS ACCESSORIES BOAT CLOTHING JETS MARIVENT TIDE CLOCKS LONDON KENT SUSSEX SURREY ESSEX BOMBARDIER BOATS WHITSTABLE HERNE BAY

Last edited:

Bouba

Visit site
I’m not a jet skier....I don’t even like them...but what gives dingy sailors more rights to undisturbed water than anybody else ?

jordanbasset

Visit site
I’m not a jet skier....I don’t even like them...but what gives dingy sailors more rights to undisturbed water than anybody else ?
They haven't, they've got the same rights and responsibilities as everyone else within the law/rules
Perhaps you missed this part
"not the place for weaving around through the moorings at about 35 knots on a jet ski in a 6 knot zone."

xyachtdave

Visit site

Nothing of course….but when you’re launching from a ramp that’s clearly signed ‘No PWC Launching’ along with a map clearly showing where you can and can’t use one along with local speed limits etc and you decide to ignore all of this information….I’d say the kid in the dinghy isn’t the issue.

There’s also video evidence of some of them doing lines of coke before launching and I’ve personally seen them with balloons of nitrous oxide whilst operating them at high speed though moorings etc.

Not all bad of course but the ones that ignore the signage, speed limits and appear to want to upset as many people as possible are making it hard for the sensible ones.

Bouba

Visit site
Nothing of course….but when you’re launching from a ramp that’s clearly signed ‘No PWC Launching’ along with a map clearly showing where you can and can’t use one along with local speed limits etc and you decide to ignore all of this information….I’d say the kid in the dinghy isn’t the issue.

There’s also video evidence of some of them doing lines of coke before launching and I’ve personally seen them with balloons of nitrous oxide whilst operating them at high speed though moorings etc.

Not all bad of course but the ones that ignore the signage, speed limits and appear to want to upset as many people as possible are making it hard for the sensible ones.
Obviously jet ski users are all from open prisons and intravenous drug users....you should have started your argument with this

Bouba

Visit site
They haven't, they've got the same rights and responsibilities as everyone else within the law/rules
Perhaps you missed this part
"not the place for weaving around through the moorings at about 35 knots on a jet ski in a 6 knot zone."
Of course the dinghies own the river, they might have children on them, bless their little faces...and when are they likely to have another sunny Saturday...
Or perhaps it’s the houseboat owners who own the waterway....you know the ones, they shake their fists at you while they try to enjoy their morning cuppa....they want the water as steady as tarmac...not their fault they can’t afford to live on land...all the while doing a land grab on the tow path so you can’t even walk your dog...
What about the scullers....ten foot oars sticking out each side...three abreast and they can block the Thames...you definitely have to get out of their way because....well, they aren’t even facing the front.
No, no..wait...the professionals, those that take the tourists on excursions or even carry cargo....they must surely have the right of way in every circumstance...
Do you see where I’m going with this ?.....all I say is the waterways are equally everyones (including the wildlife)

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Of course the dinghies own the river, they might have children on them, bless their little faces...and when are they likely to have another sunny Saturday...
Or perhaps it’s the houseboat owners who own the waterway....you know the ones, they shake their fists at you while they try to enjoy their morning cuppa....they want the water as steady as tarmac...not their fault they can’t afford to live on land...all the while doing a land grab on the tow path so you can’t even walk your dog...
What about the scullers....ten foot oars sticking out each side...three abreast and they can block the Thames...you definitely have to get out of their way because....well, they aren’t even facing the front.
No, no..wait...the professionals, those that take the tourists on excursions or even carry cargo....they must surely have the right of way in every circumstance...
Do you see where I’m going with this ?.....all I say is the waterways are equally everyones (including the wildlife)
So it's OK for jet skiers to go through moorings at 35 knots in a 6 knot limit ?

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Do you see where I’m going with this ?.....all I say is the waterways are equally everyone’s (including the wildlife)
I hadn’t got you down as an anarchist. Freedom for all and no rules to comply with?

Visit site
You make it clear bouba that you want the river to yourself. Equally everyones, but mostly yours?

Most PWC users are fine, but there are a few that are antisocial and ignore the rules upsetting other water users. To highlight bad behaviour is understandable. Same can be applied to bad sailors, motorboaters and dinghy sailors!

tjbrace

Visit site
Black water too. Yesterday I saw the black police rib give chase to a jet ski that was being driven erratically near the Marconi moorings. It really accelerated quickly and put its screamer sirens on.
They had to ignore the other jet skiers and speed boats though.

Cobra

Visit site
Can't help feeling that the heat must be getting to you...either that or you are being deliberately obtuse (perish the thought!!!)

Bouba

Visit site
You make it clear bouba that you want the river to yourself. Equally everyones, but mostly yours?

Most PWC users are fine, but there are a few that are antisocial and ignore the rules upsetting other water users. To highlight bad behaviour is understandable. Same can be applied to bad sailors, motorboaters and dinghy sailors!
I am happy to just have a towpath to walk my dog 🙂

oldgit

Visit site
Is that a red rib with ‘harbour master’ flags on it? Seen that a couple of times recently but unsure who’s it is and how it’s being financed.

Can only be a good thing, it’s been a bit lawless for a while on the Medway.
That Red Rib is owned by a small company operating out of one of the Medway Marinas their main income is from providing Fast Rib experiences and pleasure hire.
They also operate a safety boat and are currently engaged by the Bridge Trust in whatever they are up to on Rochester Bridge.
Home - The Rochester Bridge Trust
They are however financed / employed on a part time basis to operate on the behalf of the Port Authourities in the Medway.
They have been subject in the past to much unpleasant abuse and threats.

Last edited: