End of Red

G

[ QUOTE ]
"Not my fault guv"

Of course, he could have used the veto, ignored it or done anything else the rest of the EU does when a national interest comes second, but Tony isn't like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

National interest?? Um sorry Andrew, but the interests of a few power boaters is not really in the "National Interest" is it?

No I am not being derisory, just realistic.........The government may well feel that they have bigger fish to fry, and may well not wish to get bogged down with something (which in the greater scheme of things) is relatively unimportant?

Of course, for Mobo owners, it's all very annoying etc. Though as the petition only attracted 1720 votes, one might be forgiven for assuming that maybe it's not such a great concern as some would have us believe?

Personally, I think that a lot of the fuming and postering, that has taken place on these forums, is more about making anti government propoganda, than anything to do with fuel. A lot of the time it is the same contributors, making the same noises as they always make, ad nauseum mostly. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Moboating, as seems to be indulged in by most of the contributors to these forums is a minority pastime.........that's the bottom line really, there is certainly little or no public support for their cause. For the Moboaters, it's almost a shame that the government / EU, were not trying to tax all of the sailing for leisure fraternity, because it seems to me that the the sailing fraternity being much larger that the Moboaters, in terms of numbers, that a lot more noise could have been made?

Hey, look on the bright side, the fuel increase isn't going to bite overnight, it will probably take them more than a year to sort out how best to do it, so make hay while the sun shines! Enjoy what's left of being able to use low cost fuel. You never no, they just might decide that it aint worth the bother, and find summat else to worry about, as if they aint already?

I might say, that it has been noted by many, that the biggest huffers and puffers , on these forums, have been the ones with the biggest and shiniest toys........somewhat anomalous don't you think?? They have certainly not won themselves much, if any support.

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
Red per se may not be the national interest, but what about the nation deciding its own taxation rates? That is the point that you have inadvertantly overlooked. We shall gloss over the lack of so called harmonisation of price suggested by harmonisation of tax rates.

You will also find that some of the most vocal are among those least able to fund the EU/NuLabours legalised extortion. If I had loads of money and didn't care about spending it then I'd keep quiet, and probably not have loads of money for long.

G

Political soapboxing, and propagandarising (that's a word where I come from!) /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif are not something that I am particularly interested in, and the more people that indulge in it, on what is supposed to be "boaty" forums, the less interested I get...............I don't think I am alone in that.

I am not a Nulabour supporter, in fact, I am not party political at all these days, I used to be what could be called old school Labour, but like an awful lot of people in this country, I am heartily sick of politics, and politicians! No matter what coat they are wearing this week.

All the anti, whatever political party rants that constantly polute these forums, I think, for most, are tiresome, and boring. What do the people who engage in it hope to achieve? They are just preaching to the converted, for sure they wont convince anybody to change their minds with their persistant ranting.

To them I would say......Hey! sometime life sucks!.......Deal with it.

rubberduck

www.atlas-courier-express.co.uk
My only reply to you can be "you deal with it"
I however will try to do something about it, Knowing that I do not stand much chance of changing it, but I will try anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

G

[ QUOTE ]
My only reply to you can be "you deal with it"
I however will try to do something about it, Knowing that I do not stand much chance of changing it, but I will try anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

There is nothing that I have to deal with /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif and stroppy / smart ass replies of that nature, are hardly likely to engender any sympathy for your cause are they?

If you are saying that I should deal with the constant political soapboxing and rants, then yes, I agree, and I have, and I have done it by not coming here as much as I used to.

I wonder how many more will feel the same? I have to say though, that all the huffing and puffing will get you nowhere, and you would probably be better directing your energies to other more worthwhile causes?

Like I said in a previous post, there is probably going to be more than 12 months before the new fuel prices kick in, maybe longer, so why not just enjoy what you can? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cliffordpope

Visit site
What was the point of the petition? How many people did the organisers hope to attract?
All it has achieved is to demonstrate that hardly anyone cares about red diesel.

rubberduck

Not wanting to be a "smart ass" as you very nicely put it, but if you don't want politics then get out of the only forum where politics can not be avoided (i.e. the red diesel forum).
If you look at my other post (The only way forward) you will see my answers to "robih" show quite clearly that i do appreciate your point of view. If you do not like people beating each other up then don't go to a boxing match! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

G

[ QUOTE ]
Not wanting to be a "smart ass" as you very nicely put it, but if you don't want politics then get out of the only forum where politics can not be avoided (i.e. the red diesel forum).
If you look at my other post (The only way forward) you will see my answers to "robih" show quite clearly that i do appreciate your point of view. If you do not like people beating each other up then don't go to a boxing match! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes sorry, my reply was a bit off hand, I already do tend to stay away from forums that are in my opinion overloaded with "Politics".....I would much sooner read boaty subjects. What worries me though, is will there be any forums left soon that don't have some beggar ranting on?? I think quite a lot of 'em could do with winding their necks in, and realise that most of us, just aint interested in reading their incessant diatribes. It may well make them feel momentarily better, but for the rest of us, it's just ear ache! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

rubberduck

I may well consider carrying on my biodiesel protest as in my opinion to put duty up on that is obscene, I will however try not to hijack forums to do it. I will wait till the budget so I know what is really going on. No hard feelings, & I was not at all political before all this nonsense blew up /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

G

I agree with you whole heartedly about the Bio-Diesel! I think?? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif To be honest, I haven't been following it very closely, but I understand that it is to be taxed at the same rate as Derv??? If it is, then I feel that is unsupportable!

As you say, probably best wait until the budget, to see what is going to happen.

By the way, I don't think anyone would have a moan about people ranting about Red Diesel, if they kept it to the Lounge or the Mobo Forums, or here of course! Trouble is, the political stuff, has been bleeding all over the other forums as well..................and aint you got a bed to sleep in either?? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sgeir

s14.photobucket.com
[ QUOTE ]
I may well consider carrying on my biodiesel protest as in my opinion to put duty up on that is obscene.

[/ QUOTE ]And you've been using biodiesel for your boat?

rubberduck

No, but I have tested it extensively in commercial vehicles, & it has worked fine. So why not use it in boats, with much lower emissions than derv & much less harmful to the marine environment!
The current price for biodiesel used off road is 55p per litre & the EU have no plans to set a minimum duty rate on biofuels. Our own government however, have other ideas /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Sgeir

s14.photobucket.com
Leaving aside my previously expressed doubts about biodiesel's "green" credentials, I wonder whether anyone's actually run it in marine engines.

rubberduck

Firstly if you do some research on the net you will find that bio diesel is certainly considered greener than the fuel most of us use today.
Secondly, if you get a copy of motor boat & yachting march 2007 & go to page 12, you will find that Horizon motor yachts are testing this fuel around the UK. They have the full backing of caterpillar who are honouring any warranty issues.

Sgeir

s14.photobucket.com
[ QUOTE ]
Firstly if you do some research on the net you will find that bio diesel is certainly considered greener than the fuel most of us use today.

[/ QUOTE ]That was a bit uncalled for considering I made it clear that I did not intend to reopen the debate that I've had earlier on this issue. The fact of the matter is that it's not universally regarded as being as "green" as its proponents make out - opinions differ.

I was merely trying to find out if anyone here actually runs it in their marine engines.

rubberduck

Quote:
That was a bit uncalled for considering I made it clear that I did not intend to reopen the debate that I've had earlier on this issue. The fact of the matter is that it's not universally regarded as being as "green" as its proponents make out - opinions differ.

I was not trying to be clever, just stating facts.
Why is everyone so touchy at the moment, lighten up, life is to short!

rubberduck

Because I fill up at the fuel barge, & they don't stock it. They will never stock it if HMG get their way.
I have better things to do with my time than to carry 870 litres of fuel to a boat /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Sgeir

s14.photobucket.com
[ QUOTE ]

I have better things to do with my time than to carry 870 litres of fuel to a boat

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I understand - I wasn't trying to be cheeky, well, not too much anyway, but I think I'd rather wait until you guys have run your boats on it for a couple years. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif