Encourage the Children to Enjoy the Boat

billmacfarlane

Visit site
The Tinker Tramp is easily the best tender I've used and is a fairly mediocre sailing craft but good fun to sail round an anchorage. I'd be wary of using a liferaft though. It's very fiddly to set up every time you want to use it. I'm just about to take delivery of a new Tramp - sailing and tender , but I'm going to use a separate life raft.

salamicollie

Visit site
My boy is 12 - he is kept busy with books /gameboys etc - he is quite happy to help when the conditions are light and when it gets heavier he repairs to the quarter berth with a book (iron stomach!) - generally bribery of chinese or Indian meal required at end of sail helps.

Don't have same problem with SWMBO except (thankfully) considerably more cautious re the weather than me

graham

Visit site
My 6 year old commandeers the heads which he pretends is a ships radio room .He then spends hours at a time sending out realistic maydays and talking to imaginary ships on a dead vhf set.

His elder brother decided he didnt like sailing at the age of 7 so we did not force him but now is enjoying it again.

I dont think we have the right to force our kids to sail if they find it boring ,frightening or whatever.

lezgar

Visit site
Our best family holidays have been the flotilla sailing holidays in the BBV and Greece, but if I tell to the family about a sailing holidays in the UK weather I have to go single handed.

My daugther doesn't like sailing and never come sailing with us in UK, but she enjoyed a sailing holiday in warm climate visiting a different beach every day with no more of 3 o 4 sailing hours.