Electronics - Boy's Toys

BarryD

Visit site
Re: Moving off berth

Mars from Holst's planet suite.

Me trying to berth...

Golliwogs Cakewalk or the Radeksty (?) March

OK I'm a Straus fan.

For planing surely it has to be that Pulp song.... Whoo-hooo etc..

Then there has to be Battle of Britian or 633 Squadron

AND finally when starting....

Thunbderbrds....

Or for David S - jumping on board shouting "starting up" crank-crank whoosh. "Bugger I forgot its' petrol - shall I put the blower on now?" it would have to be "Those Foolish Things that you do..."

JohnR

Visit site
Re: shopping list

I am glad someone can get prices out of Cactus they seemed disinterested in fitting out and wouldn't say who their engineers were.

jfm

Visit site
Re: Problems with Cactus?

More detail please? I have had very good service and also from Mes, their sister company owned by same bloke. But Cactus can have some uninformed salespeople, it's pot luck who you get, and I have never tried their installation people. Have you, in London or their Antibes branch?

The prices I sed are not quotes, they're jsut approximate.

Anyway, plse give more details of your boat and how you're going to spend the 16k, we're interested and wd like to hear more. Thanks

adrianm

Visit site
Re: Electronics - Boy\'s Toys

Strewth, what are they Gold Plated or something!!!

I'm having the same sort of kit put on my boat and it comes to just under 9 thousand euros.

JohnR

Visit site
Re: Problems with Cactus?

OK the kit is:
Furuno M1943 Navnet 10.4TFT 4ft open array +1943C plotter and the fluxgate, GPS, NTSC/Pal video board and all the bits of string that connect the two.
Simrad AP20 autopilot + flybridge control. Fluxgate with rate sensor, hydraulic pump. Simrad speed and depth pack. Simrad wind system. Navtex. 2 x compass displays (why do I need these I have a magnetic thingy that points to the north?) Simrad RS86 DSC VHF + dual station kit. External hailer speakers. Aerial, CCTV system for engine room and a redundant Furuno GP1650 TFT plotter/GPS as a spare GPS. Radar target enhancer and a few more displays for up top and in the pilot house.
And its all going on that new Aleutian 64

G

Re: excellent

well (drag click paste print) that looks jolly good stuff. Where will be great beastie reside? Sounds like a Lymingtonian to me!

Do you have an opportunity to use the loud hailers ? I had them for a while on a boat, never refitted after transport, felt a bit umm LOUD, non?

(did they by chance give an Italian translation for all that stuff?)

jfm

Visit site
Re Further thoughts

Oooer excellent stuff. A few thoughts imho

1. sounds like 13k not 16
2. Simrad autopilot (I sed Robertson in my post but they have been rebadged Simrad now) is fab at the electronic end but make sure you get overspecced stuff at the pump/hydraulic end becuase the standard spec is a bit wimpy imho and will not move the rudders enuf in say a big surfy sea coming onto your quarter.
3.Yes elec compass displays waste of time as you say
4. I presume CCTV will feed the furuno screens via the NTSC/Pal card, right?
5. That radar is fab. It's 8kw so get as high as you can. The screen is genuine colour, so weak reflections show a different colour from strong. This means wave clutter is a diff colour from targets, so you do not have to filter out the waves which makes it less likely you will miss a target. Very good stuff imho
6. Which Navtex?
7. Only bummer with the Furuno 1943 is it takes dedicated Furuno C-Map cartridges, you cannot put ordinary CMaps in it, which is really annoying imho. Also it has only one cartridge slot
8. Why not specify the SVGA-out card in the 1943C? It's only £100 and then you can either lash out on a 17" TFT repeater screen so you get a massive plotter, or you can have small TFT computer monitor in your cabin so you can see your charted position by bedside when wake up at night wondering if anchor dragged?

Very fine stuff though. Was matt right about Lymington?

ParaHandy

Visit site
Re: Electronics - Boy\'s Toys

Some time ago, on the way to Portree in verra thick fog, a bunch of us followed as best we could a bod with all the trimmings (radar etc etc). Sitting comfortably when we got there was an older gent whom we knew had nothing other than a depth sounder - one of those whizzing round types with the funny neon light. He had followed the 10 fathom line virtually all the way.

A little later, I asked my friend did he really mean fathoms? Oh yes, came the reply, the charts came with the boat in 1965.

(Story with a few embellishments but essentially true)

jfm

Visit site
He prob had a free bus pass

Point taken entirely ParaH. But I would never claim all this kit is essential or needed. Of course you can get there without it, just as the old gent you refer to could have gone to Portree by bus. Rather like the boat itself, this stuff is just nice toys, just a bit of fun

ParaHandy

Visit site
Re: He prob had a free bus pass

Aaah! Not so. He coludn't take the bus as the bridge wasn't built then. Which is another (almost true) story. At the bridge's official opening, with the hoi polloi at one end, several aggrieved farmers at the other opened a sheep box and a flock of the little buggers started to meander across the bridge. The farmers were a little upset that the bridge cpy didn't follow the ferry cpy (CalMac's) practice of not charging the empty farm wagons on the return and the farmers had read the small print of the tariff which allowed animals to cross (on foot, so to speak) free of charge.

The rest of the opening ceremony was a disaster!

G

Re: what was orig?

Is this a sort-of refit, or part of a new build? From the fab list, sounds/seems as if it had a sterring wheel and compass as standard?

JohnR

Visit site

She's the new GB Aleutian 64. When GB used to ship through Amsterdam I brought a couple across, all we had to take on board was our safety gear +VHF + GPS (that one where I always misread the direction of the cross track error and which leads to problems when crossing the Goodwins into Ramsgate).

JohnR

Visit site
Re: Re Further thoughts

The price of this kit still frightens me.
Yes, the steering is hydraulic anyway so the Simrad RPU160 seems to be the choice. The question is, is rate sensor fluxgate so much better that the RFC35 for seas from behind?
Yep. the CCTV will feed the Furuno but also having a small tv screen in the pilot house (we have this huge himalaya with too much empty space).
Navtex, supplier suggests Furuno NX300 because the display is big and suitable for old blind gits. I fancied the dual watch one from those people at Arundel. My only spec is that the alarm can be disabled at night!
Thanks for the suggestion about the SVGA card. I want to be able to output waypoint lists from my lap-top anyway so I might think about that. Until I use it I am not sure about a split screen display for radar+plotter having only ever had an old Furuno radar and paper charts.
All [most] suggestions gratefully recieved.

JohnR

Visit site

>>well (drag click paste print)<< only because I am too mean to pay BT's rates for staying on-line as I reply. Lymington? isn't that where the posh boats live, never been there and don't intend to, probably cost an arm and a leg just to drop my hook in the mud. Have a corner fixed in Mallorca where the sun shines, the wine is cheap and the fuel expensive.

Have no intention of using the loudhailers except to tell smaller boats to get out of the way (I heard that done in Greece earlier this year and though the boat was British flagged I pray the driver was er... foreign). The new Simrad VHF will operate both fog signals and loudhailers, and the speakers are two way, so that's why. I shall probably never use them.

But I will need something that goes wop, wop, wop, if I see a glass bottomed boat.

G

Well, since found them on a websit er in the magazine and very fine indeed. And I spose 16k not awful BUT providing that nice chap with run back and do all the worrying for you and show you around.

You said you brought "a couple" back from Amsterdsam so presuambly this not the first? Or have you got two? Or was it a couple as in two people, nominally males and female? Spect you are long-time GB owner, this the latest praps.

What are your plans with the boat? in the, summer, can't remeber when, there was a monster invasion of them on the south coast of France, must've been over fifty. Quite a few hang out in Frejus, there's a dealer there. A med trip beckons?

JohnR

Visit site

Had a 42 once. The ones back for Hamsterjam were deliveries I scrounged a run on when I was boatless.
She will fit out in Southampton and the the Med really beckons in about May. Two fingers to our President and I'm off into the sunset.

G

Ah. i was actually making a private joke at my own expense! Cos I ned nfo re speccing and hence pinched yours (hence print) . Not having a go cos you nicked yours from another part of puter. Anyway is this the first one, as on the mag front? And where will you go? Lond triop or bumble down to es trenc to the jolly beacj bar and the girl demonstrating the wraps SLAP ouch.

The vhf -operated loudhailer sounds decent, so presumably one mic. And hopefully a button to avoid having to say BARP or TOOOOT every minute or so.

jfm

Visit site
More bits........

The SVGA card will not allow waypoint data transfer, it just allows the picture on your 1943 to be sent to a computer TFT monitor, so you get a bigger pic

The side by side display is quite good, but overlay is prob better because side-by-side fills the screen and leaves no room for mini windows like a large-scale chart and "highway". To get overlay you need an extra black box, I think that was on yr list. If you like side-by-side, get a second 1943 and have two screens

Re Navtex, purely my opinion of course, but wot about the NX500 (paper) instead of NX300 (screen)? IMHO the advantage of paper is that you rip off the junk and just keep the messages you want, and also if you feed NMEA to it from the 1943 it becomes an auto deck log printer (it prints posn, COG, SOG, time, etc every 15mins) which is a good safety aid