electronic charts

G

HELP

am trying to find the best electronic charts to use on my laptop to work in conjunction with my seatrek gps chart plotter and pilot

zefender

Visit site
I use Tsunamis software on my laptop which I find to be excellent.Although the passager planning isn't as good as some others, I find the chart quality and user options excellent. The GPS drops in via the serial port.

jfm

Visit site
If it's a powerful laptop you can use CMaps or Navionics without much difference in speed. Navionics are slower on boat plotters but if you have a high end lap top it will not be a prob.

As for format, you can buy charts on CD or you can buy a CMap chip reader that plugs into the serial port (or USB maybe). The benefit of the chip reader is that you can then use the same chart chips to put into a plotter, if you decide not to use the laptop always, or if you have a h/h

The latest chart format is bluechart. These are the better vector charts (like CMap) not the crappo scans (like Navionics) but they are very high res so apparently look/feel more like paper charts. I have not seen or tried these, they're brand new.

Have you chosen software? I have not tried them all, but everyone who knows says MaxSea is best. Used by Ellen McArthur and most ocean racers. Various versions, one speshully for fast powerboats. Will read Cmap or Navionics charts. Other software is SeaPro and Maptech, but MaxSea is best people say.

stefan_r

athito.home.services.spaces.live.com
prices are not dissimilar (bit cheaper) to paper charts if I remember right...they then do discounted folios and 'large area maps'....

The difference is that with them if you find a chart that you want and within that chart there are smaller scale charts you get them free.....

will also send you a demo of Tsunamis99...NaviGator (the new willy whizz version) has,t got t the T99 demo will give you a good idea.

try them at
dataco@transas.co.uk
for a full price list...They

mailto: stefan@athito.com

G

Ian I also use Tsunamis99 with handheld Garmin on Com 1 .Have had excellent results in past year
of use so much so that I just brought new version "Navigator" at the boat show.

cneighbour