Electrical Questions

Cheeky Girl

Visit site
Hi
2 questions
1. I have two of these fuses bedside the batteries. Do they ever blow and if so should I have a spare?
2. I assume the blue box is splitting the charge between the 2 banks of batteries as it an original (2004) should I replaced it with something more modern ?

Thanks

Attachments

• tempImageeNP9M8.png
    tempImageeNP9M8.png
    729.3 KB · Views: 121
  • tempImage6Rowk8.png
    tempImage6Rowk8.png
    770.7 KB · Views: 124
  • tempImageuzSs0M.png
    tempImageuzSs0M.png
    619 KB · Views: 98

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Hi
2 questions
1. I have two of these fuses bedside the batteries. Do they ever blow and if so should I have a spare?
2. I assume the blue box is splitting the charge between the 2 banks of batteries as it an original (2004) should I replaced it with something more modern ?

Thanks

1) Hard to see what they are protecting, but it would be prudent to have a couple of spares onboard.
2) It's a split charge diode. It is connected to the alternator output and then to the different battery banks. If it needed replacing i'd fit something better/more modern, but if it isn't broken there's no rush to replace it.

Cheeky Girl

Visit site
1) Hard to see what they are protecting, but it would be prudent to have a couple of spares onboard.
2) It's a split charge diode. It is connected to the alternator output and then to the different battery banks. If it needed replacing i'd fit something better/more modern, but if it isn't broken there's no rush to replace it.
Hi Paul

The fuses are connected to the batteries then to the isolator switches then the control panel. I haven't seen fuses like these so where could I get a spare?
How would I know if the diode needs replacing ?

Regards
Graham

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Hi Paul

The fuses are connected to the batteries then to the isolator switches then the control panel. I haven't seen fuses like these so where could I get a spare?
How would I know if the diode needs replacing ?

Regards
Graham

OK, so battery fuses then. They are industrial fuses, take a picture of the mo0del numbers etc and look them upon the internet.

Normal failure mode of the diode is that one or more batteries don't get charged.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
My local electrical factor has them.

I have a single fuse like this on my boat, and corrosion on it and its holder (probably 25 years old) were the source of a voltage drop under heavy loads.

Cheeky Girl

Visit site
My local electrical factor has them.

I have a single fuse like this on my boat, and corrosion on it and its holder (probably 25 years old) were the source of a voltage drop under heavy loads.
Looking at the fuses there is a fair bit of green around so will prob remove and clean up the terminals terminal befor eany issues.
They are 20 years old now

KompetentKrew

Visit site
My recollection is that it was easy to polish up the legs of the fuse itself with emery paper, but not the inside of the holder.

Neither fuse nor holder were expensive to replace, but I wouldn't bother if you're having no issues.

The only reason it was a problem for me was that my inverter would show a low voltage alert and refuse to work under moderate load - i.e. I believe the corrosion on the contacts was causing resistance and thus the voltage at the inverter was lower than it was at the batteries. Replacing the fuse and holder fixed it.