Electric outboard

jlavery

Visit site
Seriously, 1% an hour?

I ask because that’s not the case with the e propulsion. The combined charger has a box of smarts of it’s own. The book says it can do 180w on solar, and from the design of the device, that has to be true of 12v, it uses the same power input cable to the charger.
I've got an e propulsion and 12v charger. We've installed a higher power 12v socket, and it charges in around 8 hours (maybe less) off the house batteries.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I've got an e propulsion and 12v charger. We've installed a higher power 12v socket, and it charges in around 8 hours (maybe less) off the house batteries.
Thats’s roughly in line with us, though we plan on charging off one of our solar panels where the connectors are accessible. In summer we have way more solar than we need, in order to have enough to run the heating in winter.

DrakesH

Visit site
I’ve got an e propulsion. And a 12v/solar combination charger. And the comments about torque and power are borne out in practice. It won‘t make you plane, but everything below that it does amazingly well. And it doesn’t smell, always starts, and is 100% female friendly.

this is all very reassuring, especially the female friendly bit (y) epropulsion arrives next week for our little Thames runaround and I'm looking forward to the peace and quiet!

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
Seriously, 1% an hour?

I ask because that’s not the case with the e propulsion. The combined charger has a box of smarts of it’s own. The book says it can do 180w on solar, and from the design of the device, that has to be true of 12v, it uses the same power input cable to the charger.
TBH I've never really investigated the power delivery of the cig lighter sockets, mainly because just about everything these days is on USB. Another thought to add to my list of rewiring plans.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
TBH I've never really investigated the power delivery of the cig lighter sockets, mainly because just about everything these days is on USB. Another thought to add to my list of rewiring plans.
If it was power delivery at the socket it would just blow the fuse. It’s charge rate at the battery thats the issue there.

Last edited:

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
We decided to go down the trolling motor route. Bought a TM30 Talamax, max thrust 30lb, not even half a horsepower, but it pushes the Avon along comparably to the old 2hp Mariner on half throttle, which was all we ever used in choppy/windy conditions in an attempt to stay slightly dry!

The motor was less than £200. We spent more on a 60ah lifepo4 battery plus Victron smart shunt as 'fuel gauge'. 45 minutes operation so far has used 15% of charge.

For charging, a 100W foldable solar panel and smartsolar MMPT controller.

If we ever decide the motor is too small then all the rest of the gear is suitable for a more powerful motor and we will sell the TM30 to a kayaker or something but for now it seems powerful enough.

RupertW

Visit site
I did consider a 12V charger for my Torqueedo but as I already had a cheapo 1000W inverter for other things I just charge from the domestic battery bank which doesn’t take too long, and delivers a lot more charge a lot more quickly than the 12 volt one.