Egg White?

TSB240

Visit site
Has anyone actually had any experience of using Egg white as an alternative to lanolin to antifoul their prop?

Daydream believer

Visit site
This was a serious enquiry. No yolking please!

No , of course not. If you have shelled out for a dozen eggs you do not want people cracking yokes
So lets lay that to rest straight away
So when it all boils down to it we need to prop this post up with some serious comment & leave the foul stuff for the lounge
I can see you all scrambling to help . lets see how it pans out

Last edited:

DownWest

Visit site
IIRR Peter Scott used a 'secret' mix of egg white and something else that they coated their National 12 as an anti friction just before launching for a race. He said that it probably washed off in a couple of minutes, but it certainly phsyced out the other crews....

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I tried it, but the effort of beating the stuff was too much for the Filipino seaman I hired to do the job and he keeled over with heat exhaustion.

Yes, folks I ...

<drumroll>

... baked a lascar.

daduntsh.gif

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
No , of course not. If you have shelled out for a dozen eggs you do not want people cracking yokes
So when it all boils down to it we need to prop this post up with some serious comment & leave the foul stuff for the lounge

Fowl stuff? ;)

Richard

Hydrozoan

Visit site
IIRR Peter Scott used a 'secret' mix of egg white and something else that they coated their National 12 as an anti friction just before launching for a race. He said that it probably washed off in a couple of minutes, but it certainly phsyced out the other crews....

Copper bowls are recommended for stabilizing whipped egg whites because of copper binding to sulfur-containing proteins, so perhaps it sticks a bit better to props than to hulls.

TSB240

Visit site
Copper bowls are recommended for stabilizing whipped egg whites because of copper binding to sulfur-containing proteins, so perhaps it sticks a bit better to props than to hulls.
Thank you for the first and probably last sensible and logical answer on this post......I have been told by an old salt that application of 4 coats letting it dry fully between coats will give 12 months protection.

I will have to ask him if I should use double yolkers on twin props?

lpdsn

Visit site
Thank you for the first and probably last sensible and logical answer on this post......I have been told by an old salt that application of 4 coats letting it dry fully between coats will give 12 months protection.

He's just been egging you on.

Seriously, take your prop off, give it the treatment he recommends then run it through the dishwasher a few times and see how it comes out. You can report the results of your experiments back here.

Biggles Wader

Visit site

Make sure you put the two props back the right way round without scrambling them.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site

Lol!