Effect of coronavirus on UK/European sailing?

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
For those of us UK side, time for that circumnavigation or at least the Scottish West Coast Tour. I was aiming for guernsey then N Brittany but the "French" bit is off for now and may be for at least a year

ryanroberts

Visit site
For those of us UK side, time for that circumnavigation or at least the Scottish West Coast Tour. I was aiming for guernsey then N Brittany but the "French" bit is off for now and may be for at least a year

Hearing a rumour from an islander that Guernsey is going to go 14 day self isolation for anyone who arrives from the UK

dunedin

Visit site

Might have to be a fast U.K. circumnavigation - and possibly non stop?
Suspect Italian / Spanish style restrictions may be less than a week away in the U.K.?
If you can get away today, this might be the only time you can anchor with space in South Coast anchorages, but whether can get into harbour afterwards might be a moot point.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Out here in the world of lock down , we now starting our second week?
I am gob smack up to last night we still reading on sailing forum people asking advise about leaving their berth and heading out .
What even worst is the odd odd balls that suggest it's safe to do so.
Where on earth do there rookie sailor think there are going to go.
Every country in Europe other then back home in the U.K. have closed there boarders and tell people to stay put,
if you anchor and not moved on by the CG or in some cases now fined ,you cant come ashore and at some point you have to has your food runs out.
If by some luck and you do find a harbour to take you in all you done is swap one Marina/harbour for another plus you have to stay in quarantine for 14 days and maybe pay a higher mooring rate then you would had to pay if you stayed put.
Some still think they has seagoing seamen rights , the right of safe harbour , well that gone well out the window like most normal stuff we where use to.
As we seeing every day more country are saying move on no you can't enter .
To you guys back home who at this time are still free to take your boat out and are concerning going off before it's too late, I have one thing to say , don't , the freedom you may have to day could quite easily be taken away from you to morrow and you much better off in your marina berth then many miles away .

dom

Visit site
Just spoken with a big UK marina operator to knock my launch back from next week.

Apparently lots of boats now doing the same.

Sharky34

Visit site
I'm supposed to be slowly coast hopping my way from UK to Portugal from late May/early June, I don't know whether I'll be able to set off as early as I'd like but hope still to be able to go. I have a one year sabbatical from work that can't be undone now which was going to be next year but Bozzer & Brexit put the dampers on that plan...
What have Bozzer & Brexit got to do with the virus?

Bellacruiser

Visit site
For those of us UK side, time for that circumnavigation or at least the Scottish West Coast Tour.

I'm UK-side, if only boat weren't in Croatia :ROFLMAO: . Was supposed to be getting my DS in Spain in 3 weeks too. My sailing life is doomed o_O. Haven't actually seen our boat since we bought it now, as we were meant to go in 2 weeks; that was kiboshed when hubby got deployed and now alternative date of 15 April is off too. Oh dear.

srm

Visit site
All marinas in the Azores are closed to new arrivals. They can anchor off but can not land. The boat may be allowed alongside for fuel and to pick up supplies if they are delivered to the pier.
Only a few flights in to the islands now, passengers are met with health checks and 14 days quarantine.
Will be a problem for boats heading back towards Europe before the hurricane season.

Probably the way things will be in a lot of other places for much of the summer season.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Ionion in Preveza emailed owners today, effectively telling us not to bother coming out at the moment as we‘d need to spend 14 days in quarantine on arrival in Greece. So we’re not going until things settle down, hopefully later this year but if needs be next year. Just hope that things don’t get to the stage of banning sailing in UK. We’ve had to stop gig rowing because of guidance from British Rowing, so here’s hoping it doesn’t spread to the marina.

Wiltshire

Visit site
As stated above Belgium waters are now closed for recreational sailing, which is not an immediately logical restriction and a disappointment given our boat went back in the water last week. However, travel restrictions in Luxembourg and Belgium mean we couldn't get to the boat even if we could use her. At least I haven't put the sails back on yet. I can't see this changing before May at the earliest but let's not write the season off just yet. I have just got back from the UK after a short trip which just couldn't be delayed. It was very odd travelling through a strangely quiet Heathrow and almost empty Luxembourg airport. BA came good and flew a half empty plane back. I can't see flights running much longer though as people are understandably not travelling. My advice is fly home if you can, don't fly out until things calm down .

westhinder

Visit site
As stated above Belgium waters are now closed for recreational sailing, which is not an immediately logical restriction and a disappointment given our boat went back in the water last week. However, travel restrictions in Luxembourg and Belgium mean we couldn't get to the boat even if we could use her. At least I haven't put the sails back on yet. I can't see this changing before May at the earliest but let's not write the season off just yet. I have just got back from the UK after a short trip which just couldn't be delayed. It was very odd travelling through a strangely quiet Heathrow and almost empty Luxembourg airport. BA came good and flew a half empty plane back. I can't see flights running much longer though as people are understandably not travelling. My advice is fly home if you can, don't fly out until things calm down .
Yep, all non-essential travel is banned in Belgium as of noon today, the 18th of March. Which means I effectively can’t drive to the harbour to get the boat ready for the season.
Brussels Airlines is suspending all flights to and from Brussels, so if you have to be in Belgium you will have to find alternatives.