EchoSounder audible samples ?

DaveS

Visit site
I might regret this, but since no-one else has asked...

Since an echosounder transmits and receives ultasonic frequencies inaudible to humans, just what kind of audible files are you trying to locate?

peterson

Visit site
Thank you !
Can you show me any document that descript how a standard EchoSounder works ? Did EchoSounder means EdpthSounder, Sonar or FishFinder ?

DaveS

Visit site
Echo sounder, depth sounder and most sonars and fish finders are different names for what is essentially the same thing. They all generate pulses of ultrasound (c. 150kHz) which are directed vertically downwards through the water. These bounce off the sea bed, wrecks, fish, submarines, etc. The time between transmission of the pulse and reception of the echo is directly proportional to the distance from the reflecting object.

Displays vary: most sounders only show a simple digital display of current water depth, older models used a spinning LED which could be read against a depth scale. Fancier sounders and fish finders also show a historical trace, i.e. a 2 dimentional picture showing depth along recent track.

Forward looking sonars, side scan sonars and fancier fish finders also send out pulses in directions other than vertical so that a 2 dimentional instantaneous picture in a particular direction can be shown, and (in some cases) a 3 dimentional historic trace can be built up.

frilaens

Visit site
I suggest you look for recordings of marine mammals and seismic (oil exploration.) I have used a system where we towed 2 hydrophones and recorded the "noise" and its direction in the water. The idea is that if you can hear mammals you can avoid shooting seismic until they are a safe distance away. We had a program that would transform the signal (stretch the frequencies into the audible range) to WAV format so we could listen to them. We picked up echo sounders as well. I used to have some but can't find them.

snowleopard

Visit site
If you're dead set on hearing what an echo sounder sounds like, borrow a bat detector which divides the frequency of sound to bring it into audible range. Can't think why you'd want to do it though /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif