Eberspacher

scottb34300

Visit site
Hi, everytime i want to start my Eberspacher up, I have to have the engine running, otherwise it just cuts out. Is there a way that I can get round this???

Many thanks,

<hr width=100% size=1>Scott.

pvb

Visit site
It's because there isn't enough voltage at the heater, unless the alternator is charging and increasing the supply voltage. If the heater doesn't register at least 10v, it aborts the start-up sequence.

One possible reason is that your batteries are insufficiently charged, or are reaching the end of their lives. Alternatively, if you've had this problem since the heater was first installed, it could be that the wiring supplying the heater is too thin to handle the starting current (around 20A), in which case the resistance in the wire will result in a reduced voltage at the heater.

<hr width=100% size=1>

waterboy

Visit site
Sounds like a classic build up of resistance in the positive power cable. Check the connections for your in-line fuse between the battery and the heater unitf first. Generally found in the bilge area on a fairly thick cable running directly from the batery.

<hr width=100% size=1>I never make the same mistake twice. I always make new ones.

VicMallows

Visit site
There is one 'fix' possible. The glow-plug/pin stays on until a temperature sensor on the heater says the unit is up to running temp. In fact, once the diesel has ignited (easilly detected by the sound) you can switch off the glow-plug after a few seconds, saving a fair bit of start-up power. The voltage then recovers and the heater doesn't cut out. I've added a relay by the heater to achieve this.

Vic

<hr width=100% size=1>

tome

www.google.co.uk
I had the same problem, and it turned out to be a dry joint in the fuse carrier for the main power feed. Check the voltage at both the battery terminal and at the heater during startup. If there's any significant difference (>0.5V), it indicates a wiring problem.

<hr width=100% size=1>