Eberspacher usage

JEG

Visit site
A search of this site has produced a a detailed response from Eberspacher to a customer which recommends that these heaters be run once a month; does anyone know why?

Thank you,

John G

claymore

Visit site
Yes
They seem to work better if you run them regularly
The more mechanical falorumites will probably go on about condensation and drying out of things and all that other technical stuff - but the bottom line is use it or lose it - sort of

peteandthira

Visit site
I have also read somewhere that it should be "turned off" at least once a month too.

Does anyone have any experience of long-term running of these heaters? I am informed from the bloke that fitted it that they are perfectly capable of being run 24/7. We tend to turn ours off at night, but not because of safety issues, just the noise.

I understand them to be safer than anything else with a flame in it, due to the amount of safety shut-off features.

peteandthira

Visit site
We had a lot of trouble with ours too, from new. It all came down to fuel in the end, and since cleaning our (new) fuel tank have had not a single hiccup. The dodgy fuel deposited a lot of carbon buildup in the burner pot, which continued to cause difficulty lighting and maintaining a flame. This was right in the base of the burner, requiring that I made a SS tool which could get in through the gaps and scrape it out.

Following that, and now with clean fuel ever since, she lights on the first pulse from the pump and there is no smoke from the exhaust even on light-up.

I even suspect that some fuel additives will cause them problems, so for the time being we add nothing and keep a check on the state of the fuel. Eberspacher say that Fuel Set is about the only thing compatible, although I haven't tried that yet for fear of the same thing happening.

I am utterly convinced, from my experience including a "strip-down" course from a friendly engineer, that eberspachers are superb heaters when fed properly and kept clean once or twice a year.

Any one else with similar or opposing views?

amaric

Visit site
I have two d1lc's fitted in my yacht, plus 1 d1lc in my camper van. They are very reliable if fed with clean fuel and a strong source of power ( for starting ). The two in my yacht have seen over 6 years hard service and both have been stripped down and de carboned with an air line and rebuilt with new gaskets etc, special attention given to the glow plug as deposits build up leading to hot spots on the coil.

The strip down is straight forward and I have found out this needs doing once every 2 to 3 years. I treat this exercise as on going maintenance. Plus the fan blades generally require cleaning from dust build up after this time.

What I have found from experience is the Eberspachers really benifit from running at full power for 5 to 10 minutes after a extended time running at low heat before switching the heaters off. This I find greatly reduces the build up of carbon in the combustion chamber etc.

Look after your heaters, give them clean fuel, clean air and a clean exhaust and you really shouldnt have any issues with them. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

AIDY

www.ybw.com
I too have your view on fuel. we use fuel set and thinking about building a seperate fuel tank for the eber to run off white road diesel instead of red.

I gave it a blast with some white last weekend in a 6L milk bottle. suprised the amount it drank

I bought my d5 home last week to have a clean out which is the job for this weekend. i was astonished to find the exhaust balancer to be blocked but have had no way sucess cleaning round the coils yet to clear it.

My eber just seems not to get toasty warm anymore.

took it back to eber at ringwood and they said they fixed it but it was just the same. why is it its at the wrong time of year that you need t these things happen.

Marsupial

Visit site
The trucking fraternity have no problems with these things - they switch them on and leave them. Fuel set will keep the combustion chamber and the glow plug clean, low usage is the best way mess them up.

In a boat if you have problems hard to start, keeps carbing up etc - do everything you can to get clean fuel to it, start it up then leave it running for a weekend or so.

Think of in terms of "that difference" you notice after a long blast down a motorway in a "towny" car.

JEG

Visit site
Gentlemen,

Many thanks for your contributions. May I point out that, whilst a motorway blast is beneficial, one would still expect the towny car to start.

Thanks,

John G

Marsupial

Visit site
John,

Your original request why was using this equipment regulary is a good idea - not why wont it start. The forum responded as per specification. Summary : "The thing is that regular use will tend to make it start easier - if you fail to use it for long periods or only use it for a short time then it will fail to start just like a "towny" car- for many reasons, deposits of carbon in the combustion chamber, flame detection carboned up, waxy fuel, stuck bearings, low voltage, list in vast. The message is "neglect" in terms of diesel warm air heaters = lack of use, neglect them and they will let you down"

As an aside I find it quite amazing that you would expect any neglected piece of kit work without preventative maintenance.

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cheers

David

Robin2

Visit site
I hope this is not too late.

There is no problem running an Eberspacher for long periods except that the blower motor brushes wear out. I wore out two of them - the first lasted about 7000 hours (over 3 years) and the second only about 2000 hours (1 year). New blower units are easy to fit (if you are a DIY person) but they cost about €600.00 ouch!!! Eberspacher were very unsympathetic.

I have replaced my D5L with a Wallas 40D - mainly because I expect it to be cheaper to replace worn-out fan motors, and Wallas seem to be nicer people to deal with.

However there is no such thing as a free lunch and I have already had to de-coke the Wallas after (rough-guess) 600 hours running.

As I type the Wallas has been running non-stop for 4 days ! (cold weather).

Mudplugger

Visit site
Long discussions with local eberman....Use road Diesel sayeth he, why said me, last one went for 15 years without a problem, but they have changed the glow plug sez he and it is not as forgiving as the older version.....pays your money, make your choice! HTH