Eberspacher heaters - don't make the same mistakes I have!

duppamiller

Visit site
Eberspacher heaters - don\'t make the same mistakes I have!

Apologies to those who know this already, but I've learnt a lot about Eberspacher heaters this week - the hard and expensive way - and it's only Monday!

I bought my 'Airtronic D2 with 7 day timer' at the boat show last year and had it fitted in late Jan. Since then it's been running at a medium heat setting 3 hours a day (to help the dehumidifier) and 3 hours a night (so nothing freezes), plus ad hoc use in the summer. Keeps the boat warm and dry all winter for around £20 a month in diesel, so far so good . . . Went down the boat yesterday for the first time in a couple of weeks and fired up the heater, which resulted in clouds of white smoke and little else. Switched everything off and rang Eberspacher this morning, who sent me round the houses, eventually ending up with a local dealer.

Mistake 1 - buying an Eberspacher heater!
Local dealer warned that these heaters are designed to run on (higher quality) white diesel, not red diesel, so fixing it may not be covered by the warranty.

Mistake 2 - running it on a medium heat setting
If you're going to use red diesel then it needs to run hot to give the best chance of burning the impurities, otherwise it cokes up and you get clouds of white smoke . . .

Mistake 3 - believing the salesman's line 'you hardly ever need to service it'
If you're using red diesel and running it on a regular basis then you need to budget £300 a year on servicing, which triples the monthly running cost to over £60.

Hard to believe that Eberspacher flog these things at the boat show, where all things run on red diesel (for the moment!), but this forum backs it up:
http://www.canalworld.net/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t2238.html

How do they get away with it?!

Sneds

Visit site
Re: Eberspacher heaters - don\'t make the same mistakes I have!

Thanks for the info, I will be looking for heating next year so have taken on board all you have said.
Thanks again.

PCUK

Visit site

I'd have to say you were unlucky. My Eberspacher heater has been working perfectly on red diesel for about ten years now. Not the regular use yours has, but normal summer use. I service it every couple of years, takes about an hour and off it goes.
I believe in keeping the boat cold and well ventilated throughout the winter, no condensation or damp problems in that case.

damo

longkeel35.org.uk

Shame about your experience - ebers seem to produce either very positive or negative opinions.

Clean fuel is a MUST and I am considering fitting a separate tank for mine, so I can run it on road diesel, or give it the occasional throat-clearing blast with paraffin.

My Hydronic produces loads of hot water, runs a rad, and has 3 hot air outlets /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif (and is a nightmare to get at in the back of a cockpit locker! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif )

PS Don't believe the salesman - believe the numerous accounts in the PBO Forum!

Csail

N/A
Visit site

All the research i have done the Webasta 3500 seems the way to go.