EBay 7ft dinghy / Tender plans?

Richard_Peevor

Visit site
Just wondering if anyone has built the 7 foot dinghy which is always advertised on EBay? The plans sell for about £6-10. It looks quite nice but just wondered how well the plans were done and how well the boat rowed when finshed in the water? Does anyone have any views on how it compares to the PBO pup?
This is the Ebay link:
7 foot tender

Richard

p.s Merry Christmas everyone!

William_H

Visit site
I have built 2 Sabot donghys which seem very similar to Stemars design. Thye are about 8 ft long with transom bow and the construction method is to build a strong back and set up the bow and stern transoms and some tempory intermediate frames (upside down). The keelson, chines and gunwhales are then attached to the transoms and sit on the tempory frames. This was the hardest part to get the gunwhales (especially) to bend enough to give the beam in the short length.The chines, keelson and gunwhale are planed to shape to give a flat area for the skin to be glued to. Once they are in place the ply is roughly cut to shape and nailed and glued onto the keelson, chines and gunwhales. With the eception of the centre line of the keel you don't need to cut the skin acurately as the edges are overlapped then planed level with the surface of the gunwhale or chine.
You can fit an external keel to improve directional stability and add abrasion resistancee. It really is easy for a non precision non wood worker like me.
If you want a particular size to sit on the foredeck or more free board you can easily adjust the size. If you want especially light weight you can build from thinner ply wood and minimise fittings floatation tanks etc. My first one was light enough for me to be able to reach down 2.5 ft of freeboard and lift up by the gunwhale on to my knee then swing in board onto the bow.
The sailing design of hull lots of rocker in the keel means they row beautifully with one adult but with 3 on board they tend to drag in the water but still ok. With 2 you need to either both row side by side or have a movable seat and alternative rowlocks to balnce the boat fore and aft.

Having said all that ply is expensive and fibreglass though much heavier is more suitable to leave chained up on the beach as I have done for the last 20 years. The plywood dinghy however can be a pleasure to build in the winter months. regards olewill

alienzdive

Visit site
Not sure where, but somewhere on the www.?? I found a site that had several dinghy plans for free download. I have saved the files and can possibly email them if required, unless I can remember the site?