East Coast Pilot – Lowestoft to Ramsgate

Roach1948

www.dallimoredesigns.nl
By Colin Jarman – Garth Cooper – Dick Holness
Published by Imray

Coming to the end of a yacht restoration I decided to start swatting up on my East Coast cruising ground – after all my yacht is named after the River Roach and I thought I would plan a cruise there, amongst other Suffolk and Essex rivers this Summer.

I have to admit I am not very well acquainted with any of the Rivers other than the Ore and Alde, where my family used to have a sports fishing boat – so yachting in my own boat is a first for me – so I thought Imray’s East Coat Pilot would inform me as well as provide practical pilotage tips for this summer’s plans.

I have to say that although I was impressed at first with the chartlets, I soon realised that the texts lacked substance and research – or perhaps my expectations of a pilot book were to high?

The pilotage notes themselves seemed clear and well described – but of course I have not had the chance to put them to the test. What really disappointed me was the background information that seemed a bit thin. For example, in Woodbridge, where my yacht is to be kept (I hope) in the chandlery section, there is no mention of Andy Seedhouse’s bits and bobs store, which I have always found a very handy source of second hand bits and bobs. It mentions other chandlers in town which often have limited stock – an observation I would have noted. Well, let’s move on as Chandlery is not crucial.

The pilotage notes themselves – especially referring to drying creeks – I found quite lacking too. Given this is a East Coast Pilot I note that there are almost no suggestions as to where to dry out. What I would like to know is there is a preferred flat, hard packed mud area up my chosen creek that would suit me drying out on legs or bilge keels? Will my yacht fall over in nearby gulley? Nothing…. Indeed, there is a comprehensive list of anchorages, which seems to suggest that the three gentlemen (yes three author’s) have had little experience, or inclination of ditch crawling.

On certain creeks they pilot suggests “only suitable for shoal draft yachts” but in these cases it never defines what a shoal draft is. Evidently something less than the yachts they used to explore the East Coast in.

The Marina Information is also poor. Few web addresses are listed which would make researching a marina very useful. It would also be helpful if they could rate the facilities. I have been to marinas where the shower blocks are a health hazard, and others that are surprisingly clean, some are close, others a mile walk away – there is no information that allows an informed choice of stay. Is there internet access? Maybe a price guide? There is much more information that can be added to this section to improve the pilot.

On the same vain, the chartlets are scattered pint glass symbols which I presume means a pub. I would be so practical if they could mention the name of the pub, or even directions on how to walk to them. Only waterside pubs are featured in writing and even then there is no mention of the quality of food, beer, or even great views from a beer garden, children welcome etc. Although there are some mentions of where to land your dinghy, this information is by no means expansive.

Lastly - I have no car. So I was planning weekend cruises on the East Coast leaving the yacht at a mooring close to a station Sunday’s and picking up the following Friday. There is very little information regarding how far a station is, directions to the station or even the name of the station or what line it is on. Again, this information, maybe adding web addresses or train booking number, would be most useful. If you own a car, well there is not one single parking suggestion in the whole book.

A cruise is a holiday for me – why do I need a separate guide for what is clearly seen as “no essential to pilotage”? I remember using a fantastic Leeward Islands Pilot when in the Caribbean in 2004, and when my back went pulling a halyard, I even found a Chiropractor listed in St. Barts. The listing was even current and he sorted me out. Likewise a Straits Pilot book I used in Gibraltar that recommended the best Tagine restaurant in Cueta – and indeed it was great and made last day of the holiday. With this in mind I have to say this pilot book is a poor example when you consider what can be achieved, and at £16 on a boat show offer an expensive one at that.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
[ QUOTE ]
So this would be a great book with just a couple of minor tweaks

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be a good book with major re-writing

I first bought the East Coast pilot guide published by YM - found it adequate.
When lots of people started praising East Coast Pilot - Lowestoft to Ramsgate on here I bought it as well in the hope of learning something new.
Well... no. If anything, found bits left out.

Roach1948

www.dallimoredesigns.nl
Presently I would say its average but to be great, it really needs all the additions I mention, specially more information for shoal draft yachts and drying out. Essentially more homework needs to be done as the information is out there!

Since writing the first post I note there is a very good web site with updates for the book www.eastcoastpilot.com

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
Agree with Mirelle - I do like the entrance diagrams with arrows / bearings of the key marks for entry. Seems a simple system that I have copied into my passage planning, particularly for new harbours when singlehanding so I need a ready reference guide on deck.

I seem to remember that it does try to list where you can get gas / water / provisions etc but I do wonder why all the tidal data is referenced to Dover rather than Harwich / Walton (unless this has been changed since the 1st edition)

There is something about being able to keep it in the cockpit - I don;t think the paper will stand up to it unless my boat is much wetter than everyone elses!

Santana379

Visit site
I thought it was great - so much so that I recommended it on the CB forum. I was fed up with the subjective narrative of other pilots (nice to read, but not very good to use).

It got us up to Faversham for the first time with no difficulty whatsoever, which I thought quite impressive.

A lot of the stuff that isn't included is in the almanac.

Little Knot