East coast advice...thanks!

Ali-alshira

Visit site
Have a look at visitmyharbour.com for port information - I've found it to be up to date and accurate. For example, it warned me of Anstruther's new outlandish pricing - £15.78 to enter, then berthing fee on top (in 2015, it was as £15 all in! [7.5m boat]).

Yes, i have been using that site a lot, but obviously forgot to check before going into Anstruther. I have just sent a letter to the guy in Fife council who sets the charges. It's not just that they charge a huge initial day's fee, but the facilities are the worst we have had on this trip (or, actually, on previous trips in Northern Europe, where the fees are almost always lower).

Richlear - yes, probably us. It was good to meet you!

And Fossyke Wash - thanks for those tips - we may well be using your expertise tomorrow for the Humber anchorages. Spurn Head does not look too good for SW winds, and it was bumpy when we anchored there on the way up, due to the wash from the big ships.

Fosdyke Wash

Visit site
The Spurn Bight anchorage is only sheltered in north easterlies/easterlies. In those conditions, approach with the two lighthouses in transit until you reach a suitable depth - it's shallow. It's best to be well north of the dock structure, which is used by wave-making pilot launches. You may still be rocked by the wake of occasional ships using the deepwater channel (most use the south channel). A tidal stream runs through - trailing a bucket from a stern cleat generally stops over-riding the anchor rode. The mooring buoy provided is more exposed and will probably take chunks out of your topsides.

In northerlies, use Hawkins Point, 7 miles up river on the north bank - if Grimsby doesn't suit. Strong tidal streams but good holding in thick, heavy mud.

Ali-alshira

Visit site
I wrote to Fife council about Anstruther mooring fees, and got a very nice reply saying they were reviewing the fees for next year, and were also considing renovating the facilities. It would be good to know if anything changes!

More comments about east coast passages...
It is not possible to get from Wells to Lowestoft without an awful lot of foul, strong tide at the Lowestoft end, unless you have a very fast yacht. However, if you anchor off Wells (Holkham Bay worked for us), you can leave early enough to stem the much less fierce tide at the Wells end and ride the fair tide nicely to Lowestofft. Going in the other direction, you really have to get a move on, but it should be possible to get to Wells while there is still enough water to get in, all on a fair tide. For a slower boat, then Sea Palling is a possibility, or anchor off Wells again.
We anchored in the Humber off Haile Sand fort to wait for the tide into Grimsby, but it would have been a bit too bumpy to stay there overnight. Grimsby was very welcoming, but the clue is in the name!

Fosdyke Wash

Visit site
Thanks for writing to Fife council - glad to know they're reviewing.

If you can dry out, an alternative to anchoring in Holkham Bay (before starting a passage to Lowestoft) would be to anchor in Blakeney's outer harbour, just inside the bar. You should be able to sneek out 2-3 hours after LW, to start eastwards against a weakening foul stream. It's also five miles closer to L'toft.

Old Bumbulum

Visit site
Gt Yarmouth is indeed a useful harbour. As said above the free moorings aren't the easiest to handle but Lydia Eva is, so leave her a tenner for coal and a note of thanks is my suggestion. (I believe she has boiler trouble and her future is rather in question)
Advantages of Yarmouth over Lowestoft is not being stuck behind a bridge which restricts your passage times significantly tho the Royal Norfolk and Sufflolk YC has limited visitor space sea-side but offers poor shelter if there's any E in a blow. Smashing friendly yacht club though. Lowestoft Cruising Club is the mooring of choice if going inside.
Consult your tidal stream atlas carefully on this part of the coast, they can change up to 1 ½ hrs out of sync with HW and LW.

Last edited: