Easiest places on blackwater and stour/orwell to approach and arrive in the dark?

steve yates

Visit site
Anchorages, quays or pontoons, all are viable. With tides at the moment i will be leaving or arriving places in the dark. First jump is from benfleet, to blackwater, tide turns at southend pier about 3 tomorrow afternoon, (if I dont leave after midnight )
Thanks.

Cobra

Visit site
Depends how far up the Blackwater you are aiming!

Easiest approach would be Bradwell Marina which offers a pretty straightforward approach even in the dark.
Other side of the river you have Mersea Quarters where you should be able to find a vacant mooring. Not sure what time they operate to, but call YC1 if you are arriving before 21.00 and they would point you in the right direction!
Heading further up the Blackwater, you could anchor off from Osea Island with good holding for a comfortable overnight stay.
Going further still, but more constrained by tides is Blackwater Marina.

johnalison

Visit site
I would second Osea island. Walton Backwaters are not easy in the dark, even with some of the buoys lit. I haven't approached Levington or Shotley in the dark but they should be straightforward, and possibly Pin Mill. I have anchored on the Orwell shore above Shotley in the dark, which was simple enough, though I believe it is steeper to than it used to be.

escapism

Visit site
Leaving from Benfleet for the Blackwater, you'll probably be crossing the Swatchway around LW and be approaching either Bradwell or Brightlingsea at HW -5 or -4, in the dark. I wouldn't find either an attractive prospect with our 4'6" draught, you might be more sanguine. Why not consider picking up a buoy off Brightlingsea or in the Pyefleet?

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I would second Osea island. Walton Backwaters are not easy in the dark, even with some of the buoys lit. I haven't approached Levington or Shotley in the dark but they should be straightforward, and possibly Pin Mill. I have anchored on the Orwell shore above Shotley in the dark, which was simple enough, though I believe it is steeper to than it used to be.
Anchoring in Hamford Water shouldn't be too bad; the "channel" from Pye End is only gently curving, but I don't think I'd want to try and get past Stone Point to go down the Walton channel to Titchmarsh in the dark unless there was a full moon and a clear sky.

johnalison

Visit site
Anchoring in Hamford Water shouldn't be too bad; the "channel" from Pye End is only gently curving, but I don't think I'd want to try and get past Stone Point to go down the Walton channel to Titchmarsh in the dark unless there was a full moon and a clear sky.
I confess that I have only once re-entered the Backwaters in the dark, on the way back from Blankenberg when we had to hang around outside for an hour or so at low tide for enough water, by which time it was pitch black. Even with local knowledge and a plotter I found it quite disconcerting, especially as we were tired by then, but we did get back into Titchmarsh.

steve yates

Visit site
Leaving from Benfleet for the Blackwater, you'll probably be crossing the Swatchway around LW and be approaching either Bradwell or Brightlingsea at HW -5 or -4, in the dark. I wouldn't find either an attractive prospect with our 4'6" draught, you might be more sanguine. Why not consider picking up a buoy off Brightlingsea or in the Pyefleet?
I have a lifting keel, 1.5m down, 40cm when Up :)

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
Depends how far up the Blackwater you are aiming!

Easiest approach would be Bradwell Marina which offers a pretty straightforward approach even in the dark.
Other side of the river you have Mersea Quarters where you should be able to find a vacant mooring. Not sure what time they operate to, but call YC1 if you are arriving before 21.00 and they would point you in the right direction!
Heading further up the Blackwater, you could anchor off from Osea Island with good holding for a comfortable overnight stay.
Going further still, but more constrained by tides is Blackwater Marina.
Have to say I found Bradwell Marina a trial at night and I kept a boat their for a number of years. With no moon and a strong tide,with perhaps a wind , it's inky black with a narrow channel and easy to hit moored yachts with tight turns in the creek.

Marmalade

Visit site
Blackwater - if you're stopping off on passage North / South I'd use the Colne instead - just into the River or Pyefleet creek if river too tasty to anchor. Brightlingsea if both of those don't suit but tidally constrained. If you're wanting to go further in - I'd go with those who sugested Osea as a quiet and sheltered anchorage with good holding. Bradwell is tricky in the dark - not the outer entrance but threading your way through the moorings in the creek - easy to run into the mud - although if you only draw 40cm you'll be fine unless you go badly astray

Creek

Visit site
Brightlingsea is unlikely to be tidal constrained if you draw 40cm. Dredging target is 1m below chart datum in the entrance channel and 0.75 on the main pontoons. The visitor pontoons have even more depth. My boat is a lift keel and draws 85cm with the keel up. I have never had an issue with enough water depth to enter or leave.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I would say that almost 40% of my entries to Bradwell seem to be at night. Without a decent torch, it can be awkward. I always have difficulty on the first trip of the season. After that it is Ok, but I have been practicing for 18 years. The river Blackwater can be difficult without a plotter, at night if beating up river. So I would go for the Colne with due care being taken for the cross tides. Keep an eye on the echo sounder. But if sailing in the Thames estuary, you would know that already.

Slowboat35

Visit site
Bradwel is a pain at night. Bouys are all but invisible, it's guesswork to tell which side of the trots of boats the channel is, shore lights dazzle. No thanks.
Brightlingsea easier but not a doddle as the channel is tortuous and narrow. Pyefleet on the other hand is, as is a vast area of anchorages bit further up the Colne.
Stour? Orwell? Ridiculously easy. All marinas well lit and marked. Ha'penny pier ditto but exposed in westerlies.. Anchorages and moorings abound immediately off deep water channels. A complete doddle.
Walton backs? Hmm. I'd try to avoid that one at night without a good plotter.

Last edited:

Daydream believer

Visit site
Going that far:-
The problem with going into Walton Backwaters, having come from the south, is that one would, ideally, use the ebb tide to speed one north. Important in a smaller craft. So that means less water to get into the creeks. However, as the OP can float in a saucer, he would not have the issues I have, drawing 1.800 . But then I would not enjoy being at anchor, whilst staring at grassy mud filled banks anyway. I have never been to Titchmarsh, which I understand is tide restricted ( Is that correct?) So going into the Orwell & heading first for Shotley would be my choice.

PeterWright

Visit site
While I agree that getting in to Bradwell at night is not a good plan for those not accustomed to these waters, with a lifting keel there is a good anchorage off Bradwell beach inside the barrier wall. You can fix with confidence from the barrier wall light and be comfortable for the night if it is not blowing easterly.

When the sun is up, you can easily drop out of the Blackwater and down the Wallet for Harwich on the ebb.

Tidal target for this passage is to be at Stone Banks buoy at Low water Walton, so you can take the flood up the Orwell or the Stour.

Peter.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I have never been to Titchmarsh, which I understand is tide restricted ( Is that correct?) So going into the Orwell & heading first for Shotley would be my choice.
It is, but not very. At 1.6 m draft, the limitation is that I can't get in or out for about an hour either side of low water. At neaps less; springs maybe a bit more. The general rule is that if you can get past Stone Point, you can get into Titchmarsh. But I didn't suggest going to Titchmarsh; it would take a strong nerve, local knowledge and eyes like a cat's to get past Stone Point in the dark, not to mention threading through the moorings in the Walton Channel. I suggested anchoring in Hamford water, a much simpler passage that is not complicated by moorings.

Daydream believer

Visit site
. But I didn't suggest going to Titchmarsh;
Not quite true. You said-" to Titchmarsh in the dark unless there was a full moon and a clear sky. " That suggests to me that it was a possibiity. People do wierd things under a full moon. :rolleyes:Hence, my passing reference.
#7 also mentioned Titchmarsh,?
But he also mentioned Blankenburge & that is a bit too far off track( & thread) . But worth a visit. ;)