EA Thames Registration

No Regrets

Visit site
Well that's interesting.

Several years back I had a little Freeman 22 on the River Nene. It was in a private marina and the EA told me on the phone they would turn a blind eye to not having a license while the boat was being done up. However the River inspector had other ideas and sent me a letter informing me to buy a license within 28 days or go to court. I sent a cheque to the EA for the value of the license, but didn't have a BSS. The EA returned my cheque and set a court date. I couldn't get a BSS as the carburetor and most of the fuel system was missing.

Since going to court would result in a criminal record I had no choice than to immediately sell the boat for £500 and accept a caution from the EA. I was mighty peed off as a Freeman in working condition is worth around £5000, even as a project £500 was a bargain.

One thing I can say is the solicitors at the EA are not nice to deal with.

I really can't sympathise mate, you could have had it lifted out for £200 instead of losing the suggested £4500 you opted into.

EA acceptance of your monies would be like the DVLA issuing road tax for a car with no current MOT, and could have lead to them being culpable in the event of your boat catching fire within a lock...

Seriously, thats not how things work!

Captain Coochie

Visit site
You gotta be carefull on here Simon . There are alot of snobs and wanna be snobs . Doing over the little man to make boating cheaper and better for them is the main thought on this forum as far as i can see . Shame really as the river is nothing like that in real life . Its probably why this place is so quiet .

apollo

Visit site
I would be interested to know if everyone first boat here was in tip top condition ?

No, first boat was a Birchwood 25 and was in very poor state (pulpit broken off in a storm in Blackwater where i bought it, no canopy at all, engine waterlogged.....)

Took me a year to get it together, but did it on hardstanding as I could not afford the licence and the repairs together. Could not really afford the repairs on their own.

Made a hood from tarpaulin material for princely sum of £8 to keep the rain out.

Please dont generalise, not sure why we are seen as "snobs".

oldgit

Visit site
"There are alot of snobs and wanna be snobs . "

Betcha for every well heeled chap who wandered into a brokers office and walked out with a shiney shiney new first boat there are are fifty more on here who started with a real old heap well past its sink by date and by virtue of throwing/wasting vast fortunes on it and subsequent ill advised money pits ,slowly crept up the food chain to get what they have today with proper bogs/cookers/real heat and in my case a MICROWAVE.
Yes I know (and boat with) folks who have a few bob to pay for their boating but just as many are boating on a budget.The welcome on any of their boats(Boat1 excepting)* is just as warm and they are,no matter what their income,dead chuffed to show off the old pride and joy.
My old tub is probably at the the tail end of 2 dozen boats over 50 years,the first being a 12ft dinghy with an ancient seagull that when it got hot used to promptly cutout resulting in a long row home.
No matter how far you get up the slippery pole the is always some b****r with a bigger boat than you.
Hope to see you on our trip round over Easter,not sure how far we will be going up,keeping it all a bit hush hush to avoid certain rather ancient mariners.
*That will def result in a phone call:)

Last edited:

Captain Coochie

Visit site
Thats my point . There isnt 50 on here . I ask people i know why they dont come on here and get the snob reply .
This thing about you cant keep your car on the road so why should you be able to keep your boat on the water . Its not a car and you have always been able to do it . Thats what makes the river such a fun place . New people come in and join in . That wont happen anymore because they have CHANGED THE RULES .

NEW LAWS mean that from 1 January, 2011, all boats kept or used on Environment Agency waterways must be registered, even if the boat is not being used. The annual registration charge applies to boats on every part of the River Thames, including backwaters and marinas.

I have put NEW LAWS in capital letters for those that dont understand :rolleyes:

Thats NEW as in not old . Never been law before , it's NEW . Not even nearly new but brand spanking parliment approved NEW .

Last edited:

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
The welcome on any of their boats(Boat1 excepting)* is just as warm and they are,no matter what their income,dead chuffed to show off the old pride and joy.
*That will def result in a phone call:)

Seem to remember last time you were on my boat welcome was so warm you fell asleep on the settee !

Phone call - at this time of night? oK, if you insist......:D

djm

Visit site
Parliamentary Spanking!

Thats NEW as in not old . Never been law before , it's NEW . Not even nearly new but brand spanking parliment approved NEW .

Actually, Cuchilo, if you go back through the much earlier posts in this thread and one with a similar title (both in the top 3 of threads in this forum) you will find that 'parliment' did NOT approve of the new licensing legislation being extended to Thames 'backwaters and marinas'.

A number of people here do support the EA's autocratic and unlawful stance and have made some powerful arguments as to why it might be justified to give the EA those powers.

But whatever they might like, the fact remains that before granting the 2010 Order the Secretary of State made the EA remove the provision for extending licensing to Thames backwaters and marinas. On that aspect, the law has not changed. It remains as defined by the Thames Conservancy Act 1932 and in nearly 80-years was never applied or interpreted as the EA are now seeking to do without the approval of Parliament.

Take heart that the EA's bluff will eventually be called in court. It could be quite soon.

No Regrets

Visit site
Surely it makes far more sense to remove an unused Boat from the water anyway?

It must be safer, probably easier to work on, and better from the Osmotic considerations?

CJL

Visit site
Actually, Cuchilo, if you go back through the much earlier posts in this thread and one with a similar title (both in the top 3 of threads in this forum) you will find that 'parliment' did NOT approve of the new licensing legislation being extended to Thames 'backwaters and marinas'.

A number of people here do support the EA's autocratic and unlawful stance and have made some powerful arguments as to why it might be justified to give the EA those powers.

But whatever they might like, the fact remains that before granting the 2010 Order the Secretary of State made the EA remove the provision for extending licensing to Thames backwaters and marinas. On that aspect, the law has not changed. It remains as defined by the Thames Conservancy Act 1932 and in nearly 80-years was never applied or interpreted as the EA are now seeking to do without the approval of Parliament.

Take heart that the EA's bluff will eventually be called in court. It could be quite soon.

Well if it's unlawful don't register your boat, tell the EA where it is and that you intend to challenge it.

They will be happy to discuss it with you on that basis and if you don't understand and/or accept their position then you can challenge it in court.

Please let us know how you get on :D

oldgit

Visit site
" you fell asleep" !.........and it had obviously absolutely nothing to do with your exciting tales of just how many coats of varnish your new doors had :)

Captain Coochie

Visit site
No, first boat was a Birchwood 25 and was in very poor state

Like most people then . You get into boating by buying a wreck and do it up . Boatyards make money from them as they sell them on to the next mug that wants a boat . Some of us do them up and get them looking fine , some dont and so it gets sold again .
This isnt going to happen anymore as the EA are going to get rid of all the old boats . No new blood to the river as all the projects are gone . Yes they may get a good income from this plan for one or two years but long term they have made a big mistake as far as i can see .

Regarding the backwater bloke that keeps chipping in . Tough cookies mate . Its people with up and running boats that dodge the system by hiding away that have brought this situation on .
It is because of people like you that the EA have had to do this and in turn mess it up for everyone else .