Dutch residential mooring?

Dutchy01

Visit site
Hi,

Ive recently accepted a relocation with work from the UK to the netherlands (utrecht). After many an hour trawling through ridiculously overpriced flats, I'm seriously considering (and would actually prefer) buying a boat to live aboard over there. I've got a budget of about 70k and I'm leaning toward a dutch barge ~20m. What I'm struggling with is the residential moring situation and how does it impact the residential registration over there as this is a must for my work. My preference would be a marina/private safe moring with parking. Any recommendations or info would be very welcome.

Gibeltarik

Visit site
Hi,

Ive recently accepted a relocation with work from the UK to the netherlands (utrecht). After many an hour trawling through ridiculously overpriced flats, I'm seriously considering (and would actually prefer) buying a boat to live aboard over there. I've got a budget of about 70k and I'm leaning toward a dutch barge ~20m. What I'm struggling with is the residential moring situation and how does it impact the residential registration over there as this is a must for my work. My preference would be a marina/private safe moring with parking. Any recommendations or info would be very welcome.

Hello Dutchy01
The Netherlands have a very well-regulated approach to houseboats and moorings. Residential moorings are regulated by the municipality and you can check whether a particular vessel has the appropriate permit to moor in Utrecht.
It is usual to use a notary for barge sales in NL - traditionally chosen by the seller and paid by the buyer they have to confirm that the sale is legal and that there are no bills outstanding.
Barges over 20m or L x B x maximum draft in metres is greater than 100 need a European Certificate (CBB in Dutch) if they wish to move under there own power (even to dry dock for survey) - many barges in NL missed the deadline for certification under earlier relaxed rules and will now cost a lot of money to certify. They may be offered cheap!
Lots more info here www.barges.org - and see the Barge Buyers Handbook published by DBA.

Dutchy01

Visit site
Hello Dutchy01
The Netherlands have a very well-regulated approach to houseboats and moorings. Residential moorings are regulated by the municipality and you can check whether a particular vessel has the appropriate permit to moor in Utrecht.
It is usual to use a notary for barge sales in NL - traditionally chosen by the seller and paid by the buyer they have to confirm that the sale is legal and that there are no bills outstanding.
Barges over 20m or L x B x maximum draft in metres is greater than 100 need a European Certificate (CBB in Dutch) if they wish to move under there own power (even to dry dock for survey) - many barges in NL missed the deadline for certification under earlier relaxed rules and will now cost a lot of money to certify. They may be offered cheap!
Lots more info here www.barges.org - and see the Barge Buyers Handbook published by DBA.

Hi Gibeltarik,

Thanks for the info. I'm really struggling to find details of potential moorings or even understand if its possible in a marina in the netherlands.

I've no issue with where I get the boat from but I don't seem to find many that come with mooring like you would see in the UK. Do you know if it would be a night mare to get one in the uk and take it to the netherlands? I've already seen a couple that I like the look of.

It would appear that buying the boat is the esay Park. Decent mooring and red-tape seems to be the real issues. Do you know if you can register from a mooring like you could from a flat or house.

Thanks again

Gibeltarik

Visit site
Hello Dutchy,

I missed your budget in the first post! Utrecht woonboot (houseboats) command London Docklands prices
You may be able to find a long term let but that is as likely to as expensive as a flat - plus a premium for being on the water.

This is the Utrecht municipal site HERE . (use Chrome and the site will be translated) Yes- legitimate moorings will be registered addresses just like a house.

If you buy a boat (even second hand) in UK and take it to NL you will have to pay VAT at 21% on import.

It is possible to 'continuously cruise' in NL and as there is no annual licence a saving there! But - most moorings in NL are charged by the day and even the free ones often require you to move after 3 days. The NL waterpolice both national and local are out and about, very polite, but very firm!