Dutch Reefing ???????

owendov17

Visit site
Some time ago I seem to remember an article explaining how to set up a type of lazy jack system . It did not require all the usual "string". Rather it had 3 or for lines attached to the topping lift, and then through a hole in the mainsail leach, and then attached to the boom. on dropping the main the leach was tamed and held on the boom. Has any one tried this method if so is it OK

Danny

www.compasscard.co.uk
I sailed a Hunter Passage 42 in the Bahamas about 12 years ago that had Dutchman lazyjacks. This consisted of nylon lines (like thick fishing line) which hung vertically from the topping lift and were threaded through small eyes in the mainsail down to the boom. I think there were about three or four of these lines. The idea was that, as the main was lowered, the lines would encourage the sail to flake onto the boom. Incidentally this was not a fully battened or loose footed.

Basically it didn't work very well. I suspect this may have been due to it not being set up very well (it was a charter boat). I much prefer the normal type of lazyjacks, preferably with a stackpack type sail cover.

MacW

Visit site
Yes, Dutchman System. Had system on my boat for 13 years, ( currently in-mast but thats coming off soon and the dutchman main going back on ). Good system , better than lazyjacks ( doesn`t get , or threaten to get tangled up with battens ). Mainsail needs altered by sailmaker, mine done by saturn sails in 1992. 6000 systems fitted, mainly U.S. Especially good with fully battened main. Don`t know who the current U.K agent is.
Very durable system. In 1000`s of miles mine has never required a spare part or repair.
Cheers
Pete

MacW

Visit site
Re above comments - properly set up works very well and requires very little further fiddling. Vertical lines end up in pockets sewn in foot of sail, each line passes through a ` clutch ` in the pocket which allows more line out, in extremis, so not to spoil shape of sail. Dropping main or reefing a doddle.
Cheers
Pete

Hardley

Visit site
Agree with Seaboots, explianed well.
Had it on my boat for 15 years, no proplems.
Just make sure sailmaker fixes for'wd row of eyelets so that they are aft of spreeders when sail eased right out, don't want line catching on spreader whilst gybing.
Can PM you instruction book if you would like to see it.

Vara

Visit site
Used it on a Barracuda on a 5 day trip and it worked extremely well,reefing made very easy as loose sail well contained.Not as visually obtrusive as lazy jacks and stak pak.

spiller

Visit site
On my Super Seal 26, while out single handed, was inspired and rigged lazy jacks out of simple nylon cord.
Attached two loops at convenient points along the boom (4), then attached a loop to the two original loops and then from this loop, straight to the highest point of the topping lift.
Initially, therewere problems with battens fouling when raising the main, but some minor adjustments later and I have a near perfect set up at a cost of pennies.
Single handed, flaking the sail was the only major difficulty, and now it is a breeze.
Only problem is that my sail cover needs a rethink, although it does its job, the lazy jacks prevent it from velcroing itself neatly.