Dutch flag: ICP no more accepted

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
In case anyone has a boat registered in Holland with an ICP certificate, following last weeks' international row about the "Lifeline" ngo ship with migrants onboard, the Dutch government has clarified its position as to the ICP certificate: the certificate does not grant the right to fly the Dutch flag.
As the ICP has to be renewed every 2(?) years, renewals (or of course new certificates) will show the mention:

This document can not be interpreted as giving Dutch nationality to the craft, nor does it constitute the right to fly the flag of the Kingdom of the Netherlands as defined by Article 9 of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS). Consequently the Kingdom of the Netherlands does not accept any of the responsibilities listed in article 94 of UNCLOS.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Not sure if it's the same thing but we've seen a large number of local boats here changing to Dutch ensign to avoid the Portuguese regs.

Yes it was, if you read (very) recent threads in Portuguese forum, you'll see many indicate the Portuguese Navy (or other registration authority) has given people a time interval to revert to Portuguese flag, I think other flags might be accepted Belgian etc, though not the ICP.
The only registration warranting Dutch flag privileges is the one with the ship register ("Kadaster"), though a lot more cumbersome than the ICP (which was a document issued by a Dutch organisation similar to an Automobile club).

nortada

Visit site
Yes it was, if you read (very) recent threads in Portuguese forum, you'll see many indicate the Portuguese Navy (or other registration authority) has given people a time interval to revert to Portuguese flag, I think other flags might be accepted Belgian etc, though not the ICP.
The only registration warranting Dutch flag privileges is the one with the ship register ("Kadaster"), though a lot more cumbersome than the ICP (which was a document issued by a Dutch organisation similar to an Automobile club).

Portuguese forum:confused:

Which forum is that? Link please.

Break out the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus ensign - that should fool them and it is rather pretty! :encouragement::p;)

Last edited:

Dingbull

Visit site
Hello all,

I am refloating this thread to let you know that the Spanish Authorities no longer accept the Dutch ICP, effective November 4th.

Beneteau381

Visit site
A good friend, Dutch national with a Dutch flagged boat told me that his Dutch registration didnt show nationality? and that GNR pulled him, said they didnt recognise his papers. Any insights as to what is going on!

Last edited:

greeny

Visit site
A good friend, Dutch national with a Dutch flagged boat told me that his Dutch registration didnt show nationality? and that GNR pulled him, said they didnt recognise his papers and so he hauled ass! Any insights as to what is going on!
Sounds like he was on the Dutch ICP which is no longer accepted as proof of nationality.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
A good friend, Dutch national with a Dutch flagged boat told me that his Dutch registration didnt show nationality? and that GNR pulled him, said they didnt recognise his papers. Any insights as to what is going on!

From what I gather, the Dutch registration being discussed would be similar to the RYA running a register and you flying UK ensign. It seems the Portuguese were the first country to refuse to accept it, after many of the local boats were using it to avoid Portuguese regulations. They were told to re-register or face fines.

Munz

Visit site
Portuguese forum:confused:

Which forum is that? Link please.

Break out the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus ensign - that should fool them and it is rather pretty! :encouragement::p;)
Don't know about Northern Cypress, but Polish registration seems to be the latest fashion in terms of EU flag of convince, just in case you're wondering why there suddenly seem to be a lot of Polish flagged boats about ??⛵.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
It seems the Portuguese were the first country to refuse to accept it, after many of the local boats were using it to avoid Portuguese regulations. They were told to re-register or face fines.

Similar thing happened with Belgian flagged boats in France.
There were plenty of French boats that were Belgian registered only a few years ago.
The reasons why many French owners opted for Belgian registration were two-fold: to get around the French boat safety requirements and the fact that you don't need a 'permis de bateau' to sail a Belgian boat.
Then in 2016, two things changed:
1. French law introduced that French citizens with foreign registered boats in France had to comply with French law.
2. Belgian law changed and boats can now only be registered in Belgium by Belgian citizens/permanent residents/companies.