Durability of a 20 years avon of a carefully folded hypalon kept dry and aboard

Daydream believer

Visit site
My Redcrest still in occasional use -purchased 1968. But stored pumped up, so does not answer the OP's question fully. As for the outboard brackets- they are pretty poor. But I tend to row mine, because they row so well. I have had new valves fitted, many moons ago. I am on my second lot of oars.

doug748

Visit site
I have had loads from big to small, the tiddlers seem to flourish on neglect and being squished into boots and quarter berths.

Also a fair number of the PVC disposable variety. The throwaways are good for business but Avon dinghies are what we would have if seriously interested in sustainability and environment.

johnalison

Visit site
We sold our 1974 Redcrest in 2000 only because the black strake was inclined to leave a mark when alongside. Our replacement Redstart from that year is as good as new, apart from one sightly dodgy valve.

Refueler

Visit site
My Redcrest still in occasional use -purchased 1968. But stored pumped up, so does not answer the OP's question fully. As for the outboard brackets- they are pretty poor. But I tend to row mine, because they row so well. I have had new valves fitted, many moons ago. I am on my second lot of oars.

I ditched the Avon oars ... too short .... and replaced with a decent set of standard wood ... WOW - what a difference .... now the oars are at good angle to the water due the length...

LiftyK

Visit site
Inbetween occasional use, my Avon Redstart has been stored rolled up in its bag for around thirty years. I’ve not done anything particular to prolong its life. The only work performed on it was to have the valve for the high pressure floor professionally glued back into place. It is remarkably durable.

Last edited:

dancrane

Visit site
As for the outboard brackets- they are pretty poor.
I thought maybe it was only mine.

50852023263_24d9d0419e_z.jpg

That angle can't be right - but is it normal? I get the feeling the bracket is no worse or different from when it was new.

Actually I've asked here before but I'd welcome all views on how to put it right.

On the general question of the longevity of Avons (or of hypalon) versus other inflatable brands (and fabrics), I was amazed how hard it was to fit my 1976 Redstart and (similarly ancient) Redcrest, into their respective bags. But despite years squeezed inside, whenever they come out, they're as ready for use as I imagine they were when new.

Undoubtedly there are lighter inflatables with brighter colours, bigger tubes and intelligently formed keels for better running under engine (though making a set of floorboards improves them enormously, especially for rowing, and removes the water-bed characteristic). But the Avon is an old-school inflatable which very unusually, was so well made it has easily lasted into what the fashion-minded may view as obsolescence.

Personally I think the ruggedness easily makes up for the aging design. I like how little I need to worry about them, I like being able to find an old one for not much money, and I really like how they look. They're as much a part of the sailing scene as the birds swimming alongside.

48800610332_d185b18f07_c.jpg

Last edited:

Daydream believer

Visit site
I ditched the Avon oars ... too short .... and replaced with a decent set of standard wood ... WOW - what a difference .... now the oars are at good angle to the water due the length...
Not sure what you mean there. Mine are wood one piece oars & are just the right length. Have later ones been supplied differently?
I thought maybe it was only mine.

50852023263_24d9d0419e_z.jpg

That angle can't be right - but is it normal? I get the feeling the bracket is no worse or different from when it was new.

Actually I've asked here before but I'd welcome all views on how to put it right.

On the general question of the longevity of Avons (or of hypalon) versus other inflatable brands (and fabrics), I was amazed how hard it was to fit my 1976 Redstart and (similarly ancient) Redcrest, into their respective bags. But despite years squeezed inside, whenever they come out, they're as ready for use as I imagine they were when new.

Undoubtedly there are lighter inflatables with brighter colours, bigger tubes and intelligently formed keels for better running under engine (though making a set of floorboards improves them enormously, especially for rowing, and removes the water-bed characteristic). But the Avon is an old-school inflatable which very unusually, was so well made it has easily lasted into what the fashion-minded may view as obsolescence.

Personally I think the ruggedness easily makes up for the aging design. I like how little I need to worry about them, I like being able to find an old one for not much money, and I really like how they look. They're as much a part of the sailing scene as the birds swimming alongside.

48800610332_d185b18f07_c.jpg
That problem with the bracket normally happens if the bottom 2 legs of the bracket have not been engaged in to the bottom 2 sockets on tha dinghy. Without all 4 being engaged & without the aft tube being fully inflated to its max 3 PSI it will always sag.
Have yo checked that it is in properly. It can be difficult to fit. I use some fairy liquid to help it slide in. However, the bracket tends to erode & the plastic covering disappears & it will not go in without a struggle.

dancrane

Visit site
Pretty certain I've fitted my bracket correctly - the lower ends of the steel sit far enough through the heavy rubber 'loops' to allow a pin to be put through the steel, so nothing can shake the bracket off the boat.

I was surprised to find that the Redcrest's bracket definitely doesn't fit the Redstart - the tube diameter is different enough to make it visibly wrong for the Redstart.

I guess putting enough pressure in the Redcrest's tubes will be the answer. It's likely that I've been wary of over-stressing the old fabric and the adhesion of overlapping sections, so I probably never got near to what's needed to prevent twist in the chambers under power.

3 PSI doesn't sound right though, does it? Isn't the open air at sea level about 15?

Last edited:

KRG

Visit site
We use a Redcrest as our regular tender, it's kept deflated and rolled up when not in use. I bought it 2nd hand over 20 years ago and it's still in very serviceable condition despite the regular inflation/deflation. I also have a Restart of similar vintage which is kept onboard in its bag and very rarely used that shows no sign of any permanent fold creases etc.

Refueler

Visit site
As another says - if you don't have tubes inflated fully and/or not have the bracket ends properly into the mounting lugs ... then the O/bd leg will try to tuck under when pushing the dinghy.

DB - The oars I had with my Redxxxx .. not really sure which one it is - were two piece - similar to what my previous Narwhal had .. maybe previous owner swapped them ?? But they were just that bit short ... so I got hold of a decent pair. Given their length - I would suspect they could be longer than any one piece oars ...

Daydream believer

Visit site
As another says - if you don't have tubes inflated fully and/or not have the bracket ends properly into the mounting lugs ... then the O/bd leg will try to tuck under when pushing the dinghy.

DB - The oars I had with my Redxxxx .. not really sure which one it is - were two piece - similar to what my previous Narwhal had .. maybe previous owner swapped them ?? But they were just that bit short ... so I got hold of a decent pair. Given their length - I would suspect they could be longer than any one piece oars ...
I see now. I would never feel safe with 2 piece oars because , as you suggest, one can row quite hard with an Avon.

Daydream believer

Visit site
3 PSI doesn't sound right though, does it? Isn't the open air at sea level about 15?
3 PSI is the stated pressure in my old manual (long since lost).. But do not ask me to explain the physics.
I think that you will find that at that pressure the pump hose should self disengage from the dinghy, if it is the push in type.
I bought 2 air bags for laying club moorings. These are 2.4M high * 1.5 M diam & are inflated to the same pressure. We can float a 2.5 Tonne sinker under oneto tow into position to drop. Pressure is quite low but the tubes feel very hard.

Refueler

Visit site
I see now. I would never feel safe with 2 piece oars because , as you suggest, one can row quite hard with an Avon.

The two piece had a metal tube joiner - like I say similar ro the Narwhal .. I still have the Narwhal ones from my previous dinghy - seams just gave out on that ...
They are actually strong .. but just short. I suppose idea was to be able to stow in the bag as well ..

Refueler

Visit site
3 PSI is the stated pressure in my old manual (long since lost).. But do not ask me to explain the physics.
I think that you will find that at that pressure the pump hose should self disengage from the dinghy, if it is the push in type.
I bought 2 air bags for laying club moorings. These are 2.4M high * 1.5 M diam & are inflated to the same pressure. We can float a 2.5 Tonne sinker under oneto tow into position to drop. Pressure is quite low but the tubes feel very hard.

Technically capable of holding 4.24 tonnes in FW when top flush with surface ...

Bit of thread drift ...
I used to move "sinkers" with my Sunrider Motor Sailer .... but they were usually 1T or less ... made on the slipway .. At high tide - I would put bow over it and let settle till low water. Ground chain connected ... ropes etc. Then have tide lift her ..... motor out to spot ... make sure chain was laid out clear and then put overside .... then let sinker go ...
That was amazing - but most dramatic was lifting a sinker to move its position ... at low water having sat with the boat .. climb over and stand on the sinker - digging away at the mud etc. round it ... get back on board - sort ropes / ground chain etc.
With tide rising - boat would pitch down seriously while sinker held due suction ... then WHAM ... suddenly break free with boat rearing up ...

Had a 'guest' on board one time - wanted to watch how we did it .. I told him not to stand / sit at transom pushpit ... to sit fwd in cockpit and HOLD ON !! He of course didn't listen and when the sinker came free - he nearly got thrown out !!

Happy days !!

Previously they used to get a couple of dinghys together (Avons if possible) ...