Due Diligence

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com
Just a quick word of thanks to the driver of this boat. (Big Fairline?)

Turning west out of Portsmouth harbour on Friday in near calm conditions he passed me at about 50 meters away at about 12-15 kt, bows up stern down thowing up a gigantic wake.

Now I was in my 36ft. 10 tonne long keel, well equiped Motor sailer, and he rolled me nearly gunwhales under. Every thing that was not bolted down crashed out onto the floor including my 5 in TV which Id planned on watching the Football on Saturday.

Now Im sure that someone will say, that when one goes to sea, every thing should be propery secured and I certainly concur, but the level of roll that is induced by the thoughtless action of the helmsman of some powerboats is stunning.

Im not a powerboat hater, but why dont the helmsmen of these boats ever look back or even sideways to see what they leave in there wake?

Anyway I listened to the match on the radio.

Nick

longjohnsilver

Visit site
I think most here would agree with you, but the culprit is unlikely to read your post and this subject has been done to death over the last few weeks.

However hope you feel better for getting it off your chest. ;-)

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com
Yes it prob has been over done for very obvious reasons, however I dont usually bother with the Motorboat chatter group.

Yes I do feel a bit better, and does anyone want a busted 5in TV.

Nick

G

Not condoning his actions which were improper to say the least, but did you steer into the wake to redure the roll?

CGN

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com
He was too close.. to have done that would have resulted in my being caught in the turn, or had I tried to anticipate, and turn early... a collision.

Thank Nick

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Fraid I have to agree with John. The whole subject has been done to death. Maybe he was trying to be considerate and come down from his usual 30 Knots.

No one can force me to come here-----------
----- I'm a Volunteer!!!

Haydn

DepSol

Visit site
Funny you say that he is actually parked in Vivtoria Marina in Guernsey. Want me to put a copy of this post on his boat for you?

Dom

I just want my boat back in the water ;-(

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com
Yes please do. Id love to hear his side.. Of course as I suspect he never even saw me, I guess there would be none.

And this is really the whole point of me posting this in the first place.

Regards Nick

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Scratching my head here wondering how you know who it is. Since I took the Subject matter to refer to the blokes lack of atension. So it's the Boat thats called Due Dilience is it. Well you have got to give it to him. With a name like that. He's Trying his best! Leave the poor bugger in peace. We are not the thought police.

----- I'm a Volunteer!!!

Haydn

luckyjimbo

Visit site
Hi Castaway
I was very sorry to hear about your "near miss", it is not correct to operate any vessel at that speed, "bow up", causing a big wash, but, let me tell you about what I bought this week! A 5.5 Inch black and white T.V, with AM and FM radio for £19.97 WWW.Maplinelectronics.com
Good luck friend
Regards
James

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com
James.... Thanks for the info........... Ill pop up and buy another... 'cause thats where I bought mine the day before!!! I hadnt even tried it out!!

I picked up a Solar panel, the TV, a digi multi meter for less than 75 quid, at least I still have the latter two items.

Regards Nick

lanason

Visit site
Most unlike you Haydn not to want to get involved !!

Anyway Dom DID offer to put the post on the Boat so lets hear BOTH sides of the story. Then we can put our "holyer than thou" hats on and debate at length the case for the d'fence and proseqution!!!!

Carry on chaps ..... Lets here the full story........

Adrian

Any jobs going ??

RayB

Visit site
I think this debate will never be run and run, there are rogues in both camps and people also make genuine mistakes........................

However, I have a suggestion :)

How 'bout we divide up the week with raggies only on the water some days and stinkies only on the other days?

I nominate all days with a "Y" in for the stinkies.....................................

"Hopefully that won't be too expensive to fix?"

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Wats forgoten here. Is us stink boats also get wash. It's just that we dont parrot on about it so much. Dont whinge about it. Put tellys and things away before venturing out. Or laugh a bit when it falls on the floor. I got wash I must admit, a few years ago. From Virgin Chalenger and a few of his mates. Comming out of EErr that posh place in the Med. (where they dont wear all of the Bikini's) . Anyway we were just in a little flat bottomed boat and coming into the harbour. When this lot came out. Tutts bum or her temper has never recovered. Hope yours does!!

----- I'm a Volunteer!!!

Haydn

halcyon

Visit site
Thers a big differance between a yacht and a motorcruiser.

When we had a cruiser or when on my mates cruiser, you are passed by another mototorboat producing wash, all you do is turn the wheel tweek the throttles and put the nose into the wave, no problem.

On a yacht once the cruiser has past you, to but the bow into the wave at the best you have to adjust the main, the jib, put the tiller over, and wait for the yacht to respond, as the bow turns into the wash, it hits you and pushes the bow back so you end up still beam on. At worst you have to put in a tack, with our long keel yacht you just do not have time normally. To compound your problems you may well be heeling the wrong way to take the wave, causing you even more roll.

The yacht is like a motor cruiser running at 3 knots, infact it may be a test for the motorboat lot to try dealing with the wash at 3 knots giving the very indifferant steering.

Brian

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Getting a bit sick of all this waffling and moaning on a daily basis. Fraid you will just have to put up with it or buy a motor home or caravan.

----- I'm a Volunteer!!!

Haydn

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com
Sorry Hayden.. You obviously just dont get the point... The only serious rift that ever come up between the Motor Boat owners and Yachties is this subject of wake.

Within the M/B camp there are the owners who understand that there is a problem and work around it with consideration, and those who know that it exists, but ignor it because "they" cant be bothered to accomodate other yatchsmen.

That is the essence of this whole debate. Big motor boats leave a huge footprint, because of the wave frequency its far more disruptive than that thrown up by large commercial ships etc.

Until far more M/B owners start to look around (not just Fwd), and understand this issue, people who go out to enjoy the Solent will continue to raise it.

Was'nt it this that brought on the rather drastic action against motorboats in Windermere?

In a nut shell what I do does'nt effect you at all, however what you do effects me a lot, similar theme to noisy neighbours.

If you dont like the waffling and moaning... as they say on TV...there is always the off switch.

All best Nick

KevB

Visit site
So now it's the motorboats fault that your saily things are uncontrolable!! If it's that hard maybe you shouldn't be in a place where your very likely to come across other boats? (tongue in cheek before you have a go at me)

what d'ya mean it's not made to get wet!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by KevB on Mon Jun 17 11:59:10 2002 (server time).</FONT></P>