DSC VHF radio & extension speaker

Plum

Visit site
Hello, my plan is to install a NASA SX35 DSC VHF radio at the chart table and the NASA extension speaker in the cockpit so I can hear the radio in both places with both speakers on at once. This is what I have with my current old Navico VHF.

However, the man from NASA tells me that this is not ossible, I can only have one or other speaker on at a time.

This is very inconvenient and likely to result in missing voice calls and there is even no way of switching between speakers from the front of the radio. The man from NASA said that I could connect two 8-ohm extension speakers in parallel and have one of them mounted next to the radio and the other in the cockpit.

The radio handbook says the extension speaker should be 8ohm although the one that NASA sell is 4ohm. Anyway, why should I have to buy a second extension speaker when there is a perfectly good one inside the radio.......

Do you know of a neat solution that satisfies my requirements? How does everyone else manage?

<hr width=100% size=1>

qsiv

Visit site
I have pretty much what you want - but my system made it easy to do!

Sounds like you will have to run both speakers of the extension jack - either two (8 ohm) in parallel both on at same, or two (4 ohm) with a switch to select one or the other. The latter does at least allow you to have the cabin 'quiet', whilst keeping a listening watch in the cockpit.

<hr width=100% size=1>

[3889]

Visit site
I got round this problem by opening the case and connecting the extension to the wires running to the internal speaker. It is a bad design feature and don't hold your breath if you need to claim under warranty.

<hr width=100% size=1>

salamicollie

Visit site
I've got round this issue with another VHF which is either or - I fitted the Extension speaker (NASA type) at the companionway - you can hear the speaker both in the cabin and in the cockpit.

<hr width=100% size=1>