Drying out legs?

Captain Crisp

Visit site
I'm tempted to get a pair of these for my Twister.
Wondering if anyone has found much use for them on the East Coast?
I'm thinking it would give me more options for staying up muddy creeks etc.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Crisp

Plum

Visit site
I'm tempted to get a pair of these for my Twister.
Wondering if anyone has found much use for them on the East Coast?
I'm thinking it would give me more options for staying up muddy creeks etc.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Crisp
There are very very few beaches, let alone muddy creaks, that I would consider to be firm enough to trust drying out legs on the East Coast. If the legs start to sink further than the keel does .......... i only use my legs in the boatyard.

Captain Crisp

Visit site
There are very very few beaches, let alone muddy creaks, that I would consider to be firm enough to trust drying out legs on the East Coast. If the legs start to sink further than the keel does .......... i only use my legs in the boatyard.
Ahh well that's good to know... I'll direct my winter fantasies elsewhere!

Daydream believer

Visit site
As a further comment.
Venue -Stone sailing club River Blackwater
A couple of owners with awkward bilges wanting to come ashore & be picked up by our gantry when the tide goes out have tried legs. They bring the boat on to the hard & drop the legs just to keep the boat level long enough for us to get the gantry straps under the hull. They have had a shallow long keel & 2 side bilge keels that are not so deep. Thus when grounding they tip over & the mast does not go in the gantry. Also we cannot get the straps under the boat.
Problem is exaperated that the tides are usually too strong for them & even though the main central keel might start to ground the outer keels have not. Consequently the tide turns the boat & twists the yacht off the legs. So the boats have tipped over & had to try again on the next tide. We now do not advise anyone to try this anymore.
I would suggest that legs would not be adviseable anywhere a stong current may put a twisting force on the legs. ie if wind has pushed the yacht out of line of the falling tide & the rising tide is thus angled to the boat.

On the other hand a leg would be good on the opposite side to a pair of scrubbing posts if long enough.