Drying out alongside tips please?

siencyn

Visit site
Drying out alongside long keel
Hi, can I get some advice from the huge library of knowledge & experience here please? How easy or difficult or even safe should it be to dry out my Aquastar Oceanranger 38, alongside? She wouldn’t beach safely I’m sure but what steps should be taken to do it alongside safely as possible

benjenbav

Visit site
I think I’m right in saying that beaching legs were available for these boats to allow them to take the ground.

As you won’t have much depth of keel below the props the key will be to know that the ground next to the wall is flat and ensure the boat settles very level as any lateral angle will put one or other prop at risk.

Bandit

Visit site
Assuming the level of the props is well clear of the surface it sits on ie the harbour bed all well and fine.

If so make sure the boat is weighted on the Side where it rests against the wall.

This can be achieved by flaking out the chain on the "Quay" side of the boat or by water ballast in cans or drums. Avoid walking on the Not " Quay " side of the boat while dry.

However its quite easy to get or make a set of legs for a boat of this size, either to lay on sand with two legs or against a wall with te=he leag on the not quay side.

siencyn

Visit site
I think I’m right in saying that beaching legs were available for these boats to allow them to take the ground.

As you won’t have much depth of keel below the props the key will be to know that the ground next to the wall is flat and ensure the boat settles very level as any lateral angle will put one or other prop at risk.
Thanks Benjenhav, I’m looking around for legs as we speak. Very helpful.

siencyn

Visit site
Assuming the level of the props is well clear of the surface it sits on ie the harbour bed all well and fine.

If so make sure the boat is weighted on the Side where it rests against the wall.

This can be achieved by flaking out the chain on the "Quay" side of the boat or by water ballast in cans or drums. Avoid walking on the Not " Quay " side of the boat while dry.

However its quite easy to get or make a set of legs for a boat of this size, either to lay on sand with two legs or against a wall with te=he leag on the not quay side.
Is it easy to make legs? they are very expensive to purchase & seem to be rare on the second hand market. I’m still looking. Do you know for plans for legs? Thanks so much for your help!

Plum

Visit site
Drying out alongside long keel
Hi, can I get some advice from the huge library of knowledge & experience here please? How easy or difficult or even safe should it be to dry out my Aquastar Oceanranger 38, alongside? She wouldn’t beach safely I’m sure but what steps should be taken to do it alongside safely as possible
As others have said, do check the ground at low water first. I know your boat is bigger than mine but in my view the process is the same. See below, same whether you are against posts or a wall. I use fenders and as she dries out I rig lines at about 40 degrees up to the posts, or the wall, and tension them well so you squash the fenders somewhat. This squashing of the fenders induces just a little heel. I use two chunky fenders but with your size boat you will need more. Do not start to tension the lines until you are sure both ends of your keel are firmly aground. For my aft line I use a 7:1 tackle. With twin props you don't want to be heeling much more than this.

20140929_074421 resized.jpg 20180326_114051 crop.jpg

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Last edited:

siencyn

Visit site
As others have said, do check the ground at low water first. I know your boat is bigger than mine but in my view the process is the same. See below, same whether you are against posts or a wall. I use fenders and as she dries out I rig lines at about 40 degrees up to the posts, or the wall, and tension them well so you squash the fenders somewhat. This squashing of the fenders induces just a little heel. I use two chunky fenders but with your size boat you will need more. Do not start to tension the lines until you are sure both ends of your keel are firmly aground. For my aft line I use a 7:1 tackle. With twin props you don't want to be heeling much more than this.

View attachment 147241 View attachment 147242

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk
Huge thanks for the information. Great help. It’s brilliant how helpful the boating community can be. I feel confident enough to have a go now.

Kawasaki

Visit site
Check out the Aquastar owners club site
There were some beaching legs for a 38 on there a few months back
Might be worth asking on the Aquastar Face Book pages too

siencyn

Visit site
Check out the Aquastar owners club site
There were some beaching legs for a 38 on there a few months back
Might be worth asking on the Aquastar Face Book pages too
Thanks very much. I have done that but there is no reply from the advertiser. I’ll try the FB page. Diolch!