Dry suit for winter cruising??

lindsay

Visit site
Having today just had an exquisitely pleasant day sail in the Mediterranean in a very sunny F3 at 9 deg C, in a totally deserted bay which in full Summer is definitely to be avoided, the thought crossed my mind "wouldn't it be great to anchor for the night and settle down with a supply of wine, the tablet and a dvd, and wake up with the birds, instead of returning to the winter berth and a very efficient 240 volt fan heater". Night temperatures are scheduled to go down to 3 deg C.

Has anyone tried or researched a dry suit for the occasional night out in winter, early Spring or Autumn ? I do not need it to challenge the Roaring Forties on an on going basis.

It would need absolutely a front fly opening, and be easy to get in and out of. Yes, I know the alternatives of a catalytic heater, brick on the gas stove of SBW (Shared Bodily Warmth) a la 007 etc

Any experiences??

lindsay

Visit site
Thanks, Viking. Winter sailing in Norway is certainly a valid testimonial. Reminds me of the remark of a Norwegian sailor who starts his sailing season in March " There is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothes".

prv

Visit site
I'm puzzled by the question. You seem to want to spend a night asleep at anchor in coolish temperatures - shouldn't you be looking for a good duvet or sleeping bag? Where does the drysuit come into the picture?

Pete