Drinking water filtration

Kelpie

Visit site
We currently use a Brita-type jug to supply clean, cold, water. It takes up a huge amount of fridge space and the filters are hard to find.

I'd like to fit an inline under-sink filter instead. Is there anything I need to know about them? Wondering what size, any pressure or fitting problems I might encounter?

And on a related note: if we wanted to filter rain water to put in the tanks, would a similar type of filter be suitable?

dolabriform

freewheeling.world
We currently use a Brita-type jug to supply clean, cold, water. It takes up a huge amount of fridge space and the filters are hard to find.

I'd like to fit an inline under-sink filter instead. Is there anything I need to know about them? Wondering what size, any pressure or fitting problems I might encounter?

And on a related note: if we wanted to filter rain water to put in the tanks, would a similar type of filter be suitable?

We have a General Ecology filter, can highly reccommend:

General Ecology Nature Pure QC1 Water Purifier

Kelpie

Visit site
I should add that I'm looking at installing something designed for domestic use, since I don't think I can get a marine specific one here (Caribbean).

FWB

N/A
Visit site
I should add that I'm looking at installing something designed for domestic use, since I don't think I can get a marine specific one here (Caribbean).
We have a Franke triflow tap and change the cartridge every six months.

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
Have Screwfix spread to the Caribbean yet? (BricoDepot on the French Islands?)

These are a large carbon filter that are easy to pump through. All the working parts are plastic, but you will need to make a 'marine' mount as the one supplied is only zinc plated steel.

1690983592141.png

Praxinoscope

Visit site
Had a Seagul IV system on my previous boat, very good, but expensive, getting replacement filters was a nightmare, so haven't fitted one on my present boat, just using a Jabsco which seems to do the job.

johnalison

Visit site
Our current boat came with one of these fitted :

Jabsco Aqua Filta Water Filter | Force 4 Chandlery

None of my previous boats have had water filters.
I fitted one of those. It was very easy to fit. In the event, I kept the original length of hose, making removal of the filter and restoring the original continuity just a matter of re-joining it, as I did this year. The Jabsco filters are very effective at making the water pleasant to drink but I understand can't be relied on to make contaminated water potable.

dolabriform

freewheeling.world
Stop drinking water! Nasty stuff. That's what rum was invented for.
From HMS Victory:

Using period-appropriate measurements, a seaman would be given 4 lb of salt beef, 2 lb of salt pork, 2 pints of peas, 3 pints of oatmeal, 6 oz of butter and 12 oz of cheese per week, plus 1 lb of bread and 1 gallon of beer per day. (Those ration quantities assume re-supply more often than six months.)

In the 17th century, the daily drink ration for English sailors was a gallon of beer (about four litres), although frequently small beer was used with an alcohol content below 1%.

KeelsonGraham

Visit site
We used to use the Brita jug method but now we’ve gone over to 5 ltr bottles from Tesco. We keep one in the second sink, for drinking water, and use the tanks for showering and washing up.

geem

Visit site
There is a lot of BS talked about filters. Filtration has two aspects. Filtration and taste removal. Filtration is simply down to the microns of the filter media. Taste removal is down to activated carbon. There are filters thst say they contain silver but that's marketing BS. The silver in fliters is washed out in as little as 3 weeks. To give good reliable filtration, buy a couple of clear 10" filter housings and plumb them after your pressure pump in series. The first housing will contain a 1 micron filter (available from aquarium suppliers for a couple of £). The second filter housing will include a carbon block filter for about £8.
The 1 micron filter removes any particulate that will be living in your tank. It also stops the carbon filter from blocking up. The clear housings allow you to monitor filter media condition. Change the 1 micron filter when it looks like it needs it. Change the carbon filter every 6 to 12 months depending on use. We just changed our carbon filter after 18,000 litres of water use over 10 months of full-time living aboard.

For rainwater collection, we use 1" pipes into a 10" clear housing, using a 1 micron filter. It's amazing how much sediment rainwater contains. That filter gets dirty really quickly.