Dragonfly 36 debut

Lucky Duck

Visit site
The numbers in the above link are LOA 11.55m, folded 13.43m

We used to sail in company with one of your sister ships which as you say didn’t have much of an issue so maybe it is something in the newer designs

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
The numbers in the above link are LOA 11.55m, folded 13.43m

We used to sail in company with one of your sister ships which as you say didn’t have much of an issue so maybe it is something in the newer designs
No, its just wrong. The geometry makes that impossible

Ah ok, may not be wrong, its 6ft not 10, but still seems a lot

Last edited:

flaming

Visit site
Assuming those numbers are correct yes. It’s virtually 40ft inc bowsprit anyway. And you think someone who’s paid 750k for a boat is going to worry? They’ll be too busy pissing TP52 owners off.
I suspect they’d need to get 15 of them on a racetrack together before the TP52 owners would consider that they had made an error….

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I suspect they’d need to get 15 of them on a racetrack together before the TP52 owners would consider that they had made an error….
It will take only a short time before there are more DF36s than TP52s in the world, once production starts. But one Dragonfly can make many a monohull crews hearts sink. The downside being that every sail handling or mark rounding cock up you make is made 25% worse than most other boats. If we’re racing in a serious handicap fleet, we take the XOD, and watch everyone and his dog give us time.

flaming

Visit site
It will take only a short time before there are more DF36s than TP52s in the world, once production starts. But one Dragonfly can make many a monohull crews hearts sink. The downside being that every sail handling or mark rounding cock up you make is made 25% worse than most other boats. If we’re racing in a serious handicap fleet, we take the XOD, and watch everyone and his dog give us time.
Yes but there isn't an active dragonfly racing scene...

If there was (and they were quite a bit cheaper) then I'd consider one.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
There is a fleet at Royal Victoria as it happens🤣 And MOCRA. But it’s not like IRC. Not that racing multis isn’t challenging and highly competitive, just theres not as much, as you are aware.
Plus, it is expensive, more so than the equivalent mono. Not as expensive as the equivalent performance mono, thankfully.

doris

Visit site
There is a fleet at Royal Victoria as it happens🤣 And MOCRA. But it’s not like IRC. Not that racing multis isn’t challenging and highly competitive, just theres not as much, as you are aware.
Plus, it is expensive, more so than the equivalent mono. Not as expensive as the equivalent performance mono, thankfully.
But one does get two JPKs for one DF36 🤣🤣🤣 just to keep Flaming happy.

John_Silver

allatseawithstargazer.blogspot.com
Less than we had speculated apparently. Perhaps John will report on his day with Al shortly.
OK:

Al Wood, a real enthusiast of all matters performance sailing, particularly when they are Dragonfly shaped, showed me aboard a Dragonfly 28 and a Dragonfly 40. Which were both to hand, on the Hamble. There is a Dragonfly 32 a day's sail away, aboard Al's Dragonfly 28. Which I left with an open invitation to view and ride, respectively. Pics (one of them courtesy of @Chiara’s slave), together with impressions, here: An Alternative Solution

Of the Dragonfly 36? Well, if she's a patch on the Dragonfly 40, she is going to be some boat. The 40 has a twin wheel cockpit that is clearly designed for both sailing performance and cruising comfort. A balance which I have rarely seen achieved. I liked it, alot. (And that's coming from a tiller fan.) Below, the craftsmanship is some of the best that I've witnessed. This is all 'in the eye of the beholder' of course: But, to me, more aesthetically pleasing than my Rassy and of superior perceived quality to the X Pure's, Arcona's and JPK’s that I've viewed. Layout is intelligent (useable). Space, on the 40, is 'enough,' (for the needs of a hypothetical cruising couple & the odd weekend guest), although clearly not the 'mostest.' The Dragonfly 36 is able to make better use of her internal volume than the DF40. By dint of a combination of centreboard case geometry, pivoting the galley through 90 degrees and shifting the head forward (old school mono style, between saloon and forward cabin). Rendering the saloon (even) more 'open,' than the DF40's. Going on the layout diagrams published, and Al's 'inside information.' Locker space, on the 40, is on the tight side of OK. But with some thought (and remembering that all the 'light but bulky' clobber, which (usually) fills a mono stern cabin, lives in the floats on a tri), probably adequate. The DF36 is said to have more locker space than the DF40.

As has been mentioned, up-thread, the DF36 is a BIG boat. Little smaller than the DF40. Price wise, the official 'sailaway' DF36 is a smidge over £500k inc. On my spec ups, to a 'minimum cruising standard' and a ' minimum plus one or two of nice to haves, but don't go mad,’a DF36, on the water, in the UK, VAT paid would be £590-650k. If you start piling on electric furlers, multiple spinnakers, in boom furling, lithium battery banks, bigger engines, aircon, custom hull paint etc etc, I'm sure its quite possible to get up to the £750-800k figures that have been speculated.

There is no getting away from the cost, of these Quorning tris. BUT, man, do they feel 'engineered' and 'crafted!' On top of their performance credentials. And 'clearly-designed-by-people-who-go-sailing interiors.' Plus shoal draft capability. A breadth of attributes which gives them a unique appeal, in my eyes. Can't wait for that DF28 test sail!

Last edited:

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I have spent a pleasant afternoon going down the rabbit hole of Dragonfly trimarans even ending up thinking I wouldn't mind a 40C Performance and I have never even sailed anything with more than one hull except a Hobby Cat more years ago than I care to remember.
I did wonder where the batteries and inverter / charger were housed and where would you put a life raft and small inflatable, don't fancy the Kyak