Downsizing your boat

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
Looking back in my logs, 10 year's ago , I used to average 1000 - 1500 miles a season. Recent year's have been around 500 miles.

It's the 20th June, and all I have managed is two day sails this year.

There is no doubt in my mind that winds are getting heavier for much longer periods than they used to.

I live very near the boat so cannot really use it as a weekend cottage.
I do not want to give up sailing, but I seem to be hanging about when I could be doing other things. Unfortunately, being retired, I am very limited to how many things I can do because of finance.

I am thinking of selling up and buying a trailer sailor that I could put on a swinging mooring and take home during the winter. I think I could still be happy sailing local waters.

Would be very grateful to hear from others who may have downsized for various reasons and how they got on.

Swg

Visit site
I downsized because family came along. Work, family, tides and weather all were getting in the way and it would have to be a very big boat to offer life support to a couple if sprogs etc. So we bought a good trailer sailer, go out for a couple of hours a couple of times a week; have the odd overnight adventure and trail around to new sailing grounds once or twice a year and hire a cheap holiday home. My boating time is all sailing and no hanging about. Works well for me and mine.

Wansworth

Visit site
Sounds like you see what was once an all consuming passion in a different light a tiredness with the keeping up a big boat and a slightly jaded veiw of sailing distances that aa a younger man was ok,you are probably not as fit as you used to be which adds to a general lethargy as regards sailing...sell te boat and have a rest and maybe your rediscover sailing in a small boat something to do along wih other interests...

aquaplane

www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk
I downsized from a Jag 25 to a First 18. The accommodation changed from caravaning afloat to camping afloat but that may not bother you if you are near home and can day sail.

It may not interest you but I liked the freedom to sail a different area as Swg said, for a couple of weeks once or twice a year but we (2) slept aboard instead of using a cottage.

If you don't have a 4x4 you can tow about an 18 footer with a car. I tow my 20' boat with a Discovery but could go up to a 22' boat without trouble. I looked into hireing a Landrover for towing twice a year then I could run a cheaper car but found it virtually impossible.

swampyankee

Visit site
I trailer-sailed for many years, owned several boats from 22 to 26 feet, all launched and rigged every time we sailed. They were certainly convenient enough, but a lot of work. Most small boats are pretty tender and sailing them is a bit more physical and tiring. After a few years off, I now own a 30' sloop and I find the amount of work is not much more, and sailing is much more comfortable and relaxing. Thus far, we haven't ventured much farther than I had in my trailering days, but the potential is there as my crew and I build confidence in our sailing and seamanship.

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
Would be very grateful to hear from others who may have downsized for various reasons and how they got on.

Have you read Sam Llewellyn's Minimum Boat columns in PBO, or the collected set in a book? He downsized to sail a Shrimper 19 and makes a very strong case for the joys of smaller boats. Having just moved up from 21' to 26' I read his stuff with a certain wistfulness - but I do enjoy finally having a boat on which I can put on my trousers in the cabin!

Seajet

Visit site
I had my Anderson 22 since helping my Father complete her when I was 15-16, years later sold her and bought a fin keel Carter 30.

I was soon wondering why I was spending a lot of money enjoying myself a lot less.

I sold the Carter and bought my Anderson back, if I won the lottery I'd still keep her ( along with a fleet of other boats but she'll always be No.1 ).

Sometimes you don't know how lucky you are !

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
I had my Anderson 22 since helping my Father complete her when I was 15-16, years later sold her and bought a fin keel Carter 30.

I was soon wondering why I was spending a lot of money enjoying myself a lot less.

I sold the Carter and bought my Anderson back, if I won the lottery I'd still keep her ( along with a fleet of other boats but she'll always be No.1 ).

Sometimes you don't know how lucky you are !

Many thanks for all the responses.

Really excellent suggestions and thoughts.

Seajet.

Have sent you a pm.