Double-sided tape. Removal of residue.

Poignard

Visit site
I have started using double-sided tape to hold small parts whilst routing. It works brilliantly but the sticky residue takes a long time to scrape off and I haven't yet found a solvent that shifts it.

Any tips, please?

shmoo

Visit site
Suprisingly, the decorators/mechanics handwipes you get in big tubs from B and Q/Halfords, which often smell of chemical oranges, work really well on stricky tape residue and, by the way, old dried teak oil on white gel coat.

moodymadness

Visit site
Hi,
A product called 'Gumsol' is what you want. It costs about £5 from chandlers and removes everything like that plus chewing gum etc.. I was a little doubtful before I bought it but it is worth every penny and will last for ages.

Pete

huldah

Visit site
Far better to buy the tishue paper type of double sided tape. This allows the solvents to pass through and disolve both sides. A two minute soak in white spirit, or any of the other solvents, will work. Most tapes have plastic carriers, that block the solvent from reaching the underside glue. You could also consider toffee tape. This has no carrier, just pure glue. You will need wet hands, as it is very sticky.

The only problem is finding a supplier for the tishue type. Mine came from CPC ltd., but I don't think it is a normal stock item.

Philip

Vanilla

Visit site
Probably the same as Maplins label remover is Lakeland's "Sticky-Stuff Remover" or similar name. It's great stuff.

The blurb "No home should be without this powerful, yet perfectly safe solution that instantly removes any residue from adhesive labels, plasters, chewing gum, tar and oil. Safe for china, glass, plastic, fabric, paintwork, skin and hair" £3.99
Lakeland Sticky Stuff