Doolittle is off for a wander down to Kingston...

Doolittle

Visit site
Thought we would moor up in Kingston tomorrow (Thurs) night. Is there anywhere particularly that you would recommend to moor and eat?

I thought it would be nice to be handy for this /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif but there again, may be prudent to keep a distance due to revelry!

Or should I avoid it like the plague?

byron

RIP
Visit site
I likes the place behind the island up towards Hampton Court (the Swan?) you get proper helpings, a good mooring and other people's birds to leer at.

ripley

Visit site
the place at harts boatyard does great food & very friendly, mooring a bit tight because of the little hire boats run from there.

Elessar

Visit site
You're both talking about the same place I'm sure. Chuckaduck's recent pictures show my boat moored up there. Can't remember the pub name though.
I agree it's really good.

byron

RIP
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
the place at harts boatyard does great food & very friendly, mooring a bit tight because of the little hire boats run from there.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nice place for people with small appetites. Portion control is very evident... typical of a Berni Inn, Grand Met type organisation.

Captain Coochie

Visit site
I always go to the finger pontoons just after the town . Only had trouble once and that was just clubbers on a Saturday night finding it funny to throw kebabs at the boat . Nothing a mooring pin and an angry bloke in his pants could'nt sort out .
Anyway there is a tapas type thingy very close to those fingers and the town is a very short walk . Great place to moor IMHO . I was there Saturday night and had a good Jam session with some locals and a barbie on the footpath .

Brayman

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Nice place for people with small appetites. Portion control is very evident... typical of a Berni Inn, Grand Met type organisation.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're showing your age Byron, Grand Met hasn't been around for years - I used to work for them and I haven't done anything like that that for a long time!

chuckaduck

www.coolphotographic.com
The pub is the Ye Old Swan Thames Ditton

web page

It Is probably the best bet for a stay over

x1Medium.jpg

1yppah

Push on up past Kingston or moor down at Tedd, Thurs is Student night and anywhere along the will get fruity. Not many decent places to eat in HC but loads in Tedd.

ThreeSummers

Visit site
I see the Swan gets lots of mention 'round here. Just a quickie: What's wrong with The Albany? They have mooring, saw someone parking a Sessa 35 ("Chelsea Blue" - anyone here?) very nicely there on Sunday. I'm sure you can stay overnight if you ask nicely...

Doolittle

Visit site
Some excellent suggestions there folks, many thanks.

I might even do a 'Chuckaduck' and give you chapter and verse with photo's /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

TrueBlue

Visit site
Umm -

I didn't post before 'cos I couldn't remember the name,
But what about the pub on the Thames Ditton side; next door to the Kiss and - sorry Skiff and Punt Club (?? the Anchor?), just downstream from the Palace.

They used to (still do?) run a ferry across from the moorings at the Palace; or you could dinghy across. Much, more scope for a nice mooring than the other pub next to the old Rola Celestion factory (remember them?).

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Re: Umm -

Thats The Albany.

The finger jetties at Kingston I am quite happy with as a daytime stopping place but prefer not to stay there overnight as very close to the main road, saeveral pubs etc and a bit too accessible for my liking. Best place to overnight downstream is the lock moorings just above Teddington Lock - only a short walk into Teddington and many excellent eateries. Otherwise upstream at Hampton Court. Actually, Doolittle would probably moor up quite happily almost anywhere along the towpath bank around Hampton Court. From the Palace moorings its an easy walk into East Molesy (just over the bridge) where tehres a Zizzis, an excellent chinese, at leat one indian and a couple of pubs doing food.

bradtarga34

Visit site

I have stayed at John Lewis before, moorings just past the bridge heading down river. There is a sign saying no overnight mooring, but have stayed the night prevoiously and didn't have any problems. Frere Jacques is supposed to be good to eat at, right by Kingston Bridge.

Gavi

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
I have stayed at John Lewis before, moorings just past the bridge heading down river. There is a sign saying no overnight mooring, but have stayed the night prevoiously and didn't have any problems. Frere Jacques is supposed to be good to eat at, right by Kingston Bridge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Had a very memorable meal in Frere Jacques last year. Very good. Nice snails /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Richard Shead

Slipped Anchor
Visit site

Another very fine and well kept secret is Petit Auberge in Tedd High Street (not the one attached to the Kings Head) one waiter two chefs about 12 - 15 covers, superb food, excellent wine and very reasonable. And hey are all French of course...

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk

[ QUOTE ]
Another very fine and well kept secret is Petit Auberge in Tedd High Street (not the one attached to the Kings Head) one waiter two chefs about 12 - 15 covers, superb food, excellent wine and very reasonable. And hey are all French of course...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not our experience last year, I'm afraid, but things do change.....

On the other hand the Italian a few doors down nearer the river has been consistently good.

Doolittle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I might even do a 'Chuckaduck' and give you chapter and verse with photo's /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Why the hell not. With IPC Medias' bandwidth, I'm sure they'll cope. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It was an early start for family Doolittle. Shoved off from our moorings at a spritely 11am and immediately saw that the fuel gauge was just off the full mark. So before it had a chance to plummet further south we headed upstream to Penton Hooks fuel pontoon and loaded up with the North Seas golden finest.
P7160012Small.jpg

We’re ushered off the boat and up on the bank well away from the filling zone.

Midday, finally off in the general direction of Kingston. Take no notice of the constant relocation of the hipflask. Some say it’s to do with terrible vibration…others know the truth…
P7160013Small.jpg

This property is on the market for £850k for the whole plot, or divided up with a 30’ strip of land on the left including caravan for £340k or the bungalow for £550k. Beautiful ash woodwork inside.
P7160016Small.jpg

£980k /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
P7160018Small.jpg

Under offer, right hand one for £340k
P7160019Small.jpg

Sold for £380k last Nov. Now on the 3rd set of plans for approval…
P7160024Small.jpg

Chez Doolittle…
P7160025Small.jpg

£640k in April…
P7160028Small.jpg

Paul Morroco and a lovely lovely family too…
P7160029Small.jpg

Littledoolittle works here…
P7160030Small.jpg

Right, tht’s enough voyeurism, let’s do river stuff
P7160032Small-1.jpg

Oh, except for this; it really is 9’ x 14’ and it is his permanent home and if guests stay it’s spoons on the pull out sofa…
P7160033Small.jpg

Mark Anderson, environmentalist nut, charters fly fishing trips for pike and is always available, encyclopaedic knowledge of the river and what goes on under the surface…
P7160035Small.jpg

All the littledoolittles get dumped off here for their school busses. Why drive for 30mins when a boat takes 5mins?
P7160036Small.jpg

How do these two get approved when I can’t even add 18 inches to the roof of my garage for living space?
P7160038Small.jpg

Dennetts built this and Dennett junior made the spiral staircase out of wood in 3 days
P7160039Small.jpg

M3 (this could take a while!)
P7160040Small.jpg

I was playing in here Wed night with some pals…
P7160041Small.jpg

P7150008Small.jpg

It was one of my last trips out in this Robson TT so if anyone’s interested?

Chertsey lock and swmbo is getting bored with my eagerness for photoing everything!
P7160042Small.jpg

Crew on action stations…
P7160043Small.jpg

In taking a passing interest in the telemetry devices, the lockie Paul goes to the far end of a fart explaining it all to me. Top bloke. This display is currently showing the water level tail side over the past 48 hours and shows that it has dropped 8 inches – not enough to close a sluice or two just yet. But I’m not worried it was a little low and slow for paddling in last night anyway.
P7160044Small.jpg

This thick grey post here contains the level thingamy that communicates with the ‘puter wotsit.
P7160045Small.jpg

So on we go… This is where some of our license money has gone; nice shiny new lock moorings.
P7160046Small.jpg

Let it be known that just at this instance I was given the helm here, as I exclaimed my disquiet at the 4knt current, Mrs Doolittles intent at heading for the middle arch, at no more than tickover speed!!
P7160047Small.jpg

HMP Chertsey…
P7160049Small.jpg

Bev’s mob at Chertsey Meads Marine…
P7160050Small.jpg

Daydreamer’s lived here for over 30 years. When I was 16, I remember coveting this boat…
P7160053Small.jpg

…about that same time that I was teaching the guides to kayak here at Paxmead.
P7160055Small.jpg

Rain’s returned, just we approach Pharaohs Island.
P7160057Small.jpg

Cubby Broccoli’s son lives here under the green roof occasionally. I bought a piano from the chap in the white house who has since sadly died. A gent of the first order and a man whom I had utter respect. His stock phrase when leaving a social or party on a Saturday night was, ‘I’m just off to peel the spuds.’
P7160058Small.jpg

Oh planning issues again… give ‘em an inch and they take 6’6”. Looks like the compromise favours the architect as it only has to be lowered 2’
P7160059Small.jpg

Pa and Ma Doolittle…
P7160061Small.jpg

Chertsey lock. See the trolley in the middle distance? They’ve 800 yards to walk between their car and property on Hamhaugh Island.
P7160062Small.jpg

Approaching Doyle Carte Island. This Bounty Boat plain ran out of river.
P7160068Small.jpg

That’ll have to do for the time being. If it’s been too excruciating I’ll leave the rest to your imagination but we’ve still a way to go so if you want the next instalment, let me know.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif