Does anyone recognise this furler?

Iain C

Visit site
Can anyone give me the model of this furler? Excuse the green slime, this was how the boat was when I got her.

8261531709_d1863f60fb.jpg

Basically, I want to order new sails, but I'm wasting area as the headfoil is a bit short on the forestay. I'm trying to identify what the furler is so I can try and source another section. I can get a better picture next time I'm on board, but it's a long way away right now!

Also, anyone got any idea who might stock the sections? I know I might be out of luck, especially if it's a plastimo, but it's worth a punt before I get new sails made.

Thanks in advance.

NickRobinson

Visit site
Hi-

I have some old roller reefers/furlers , including several metres of foil that looks similar.

Do you want to take some end on pics (socket and tang) and take some measurements?

Nick

VicS

Visit site
Not totally sure but

Rotostay. Ian Cochrane, Rotomarine Limited, Unit 17 Haslar Marina, Gosport, Hampshire, PO12 1NU
Telephone: +44 (0)23 9258 3633
Facsimile: +44 (0)23 9258 3634
e-mail: info@rotostay.co.uk. Web: www.rotostay.co.uk.

Rotomarine have ceased trading

From the Westerly owners website:

Rotomarine Ltd., suppliers of Rotostay furling gear ceased trading in mid September, a few days before the Southampton Boat Show. Ian Cochrane, who ran the company, said “The downturn in the economy affected our business severely. We still saw new orders coming through where gear needed to be replaced urgently, but where people could delay purchases, they often did. There has been a noticeable increase in the supply of spares and repairs over the last two seasons as customers opted to extend the life of existing systems, but these were not enough to keep the business afloat for an extended period.”

Ian has worked closely with the Westerly Owners’ Association for many years and since the year 2000, when Westerly closed down, he has provided WOA with space on his stand at both Southampton and London Boat Shows. One of his first actions on ceasing trading was to contact National Boat Shows and ask that WOA could take over use of his stand space at the Southampton Boat Show, for which he had already fully paid. Ian said that he closed the company before the boat show because the company was in trouble and he did not wish to take new deposits from customers for orders he was not certain he could complete. “As it is, I am pleased to say that no customer has been left out of pocket.” Ian added.

Rotomarine also traded as XW rigging; this side of the business was largely run by Ian’s son Paul Cochrane. When Rotomarine ceased trading, Paul quickly re-started the rigging business and is now trading as XW Rigging out of the same premises at Haslar Marina. Paul said “The rigging side of the business continued to work well while Rotostay was struggling and I expect the personal service provided by XW Rigging to our loyal customers will continue with little change. We also expect to be able to continue to supply spares and support to existing Rotostay customers, and of course Ian’s lifetime of experience in rigging everything from a Westerly 22 to HMS Victory will continue to be available to the business whenever it is required.”

Most contact details for XW Rigging remain unchanged:
Email info@xwrigging.co.uk; Office Tel 02392 513553;
but Paul Cochrane has a new Mobile 07805 849 419.​

Another Solent area contact is "Barry's Reefing & Rigging Repair Service
based in Thornham Marina
t: 01243 376 064
m: 07970 772 686
Barry Locke is, I undersatnd, an ex Rotostay employee.

Plevier

Visit site
The bent wire line guides look like Facnor to me. All the others I can think of enclose the drum with a shield instead.
How old is it?

Iain C

Visit site
Wow. There's me thinking it's a long shot and there's loads of useful replies in no time!

I think it might be a Plastimo 608 too...it does look like it says it on the drum on closer examination of the picture and googling 608 brings up some very familiar pictures of the top part.

Couple of leads to go at then...hoping I might be able to get a piece and get a bigger genoa!

Thanks all! :)

Finbar

Visit site
I have a left over metre or so of Plastimo foil. Came off a smaller furler, but I think the section is the same. Post a pic of the foil end with dimensions and I will compare. In Dublin, and yours for the price of postage if you want it.

Iain C

Visit site
Many thanks for the help all!

I am currently at various options but things are looking positive! Thanks again.

colhel

Visit site
It looks exactly the same as ours, which isn't a lot of help cos I don't know the make either. Howebever, according to some info on the Leisure Owners Association website, Plastimo is mentioned. I'll post a picture on there and see if I can get any answers.

Iain C

Visit site
Update...

Many thanks again for all the help and offers of parts. Seateach had all the bits I needed, including an old off cut of headfoil at a fraction of the price of a complete section. So last weekend I fitted the new piece (without needing to remove the forestay)...you can see it about a third of the way up.

That's the old genoa on full hoist...so for the sake of a day of tinkering and a few quid I will have gained quite a bit of area as the new sails are being made to fit the extended foil, perhaps a couple of square metres or so. And it will look a lot better aesthetically too!

Thanks again!

(oh, and no more blue UV strip...white this time!)

8363197457_13565de6d6.jpg