Does anti-fouling have a best before date?

lumphammer

Visit site
I have 2 litres of Cruiser Uno left over from the last time I anti-fouled in May last year - assuming it is still liquid (I haven't opened the tin yet) will it have lost its potency?

Slowtack

Visit site
I see that its 2 years. Was offered a not very good "deal" on some UNO recently. Suspected it was old from condition of the tin and it seemed well segregated when shaken but there was no best-before date obvious. Wonder what is the actual reduction in effectiveness per year over sell by date?

pvb

Visit site
What's likely to degrade? It's copper oxide in a painty base. But the makers will say it has a "death date", won't they?

GrahamHR

Visit site
I work in the chemical industry; polyurethane systems. Our business rules dictate we can only indicate a maximum 6 month shelf life. In reality, the real shelf life is considerably longer than that; and that is for systems with additives that interact with each other ( e.g. water and tin catalysts). With an inert compound like Copper Oxide, plus biocides that don't react with solvents, in terms of effectiveness I can't see antifoul paint degrading. The cure of the resin base is another matter.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
I think Blakes Ocean Performer comes in two parts.

I asked Blakes why this is.

Apparently, if you keep the biocides separate, they are more effective until applied together.

Not to be confused with two part Optima which is a different water based system.

ithet

Visit site
I bought a couple of tins of UNO this year at a good price, as it was more than I need for now I checked the expiry dates on the tins, they are 2018.

VicS

Visit site
I bought a couple of tins of UNO this year at a good price, as it was more than I need for now I checked the expiry dates on the tins, they are 2018.

That I guess will be for unopened tins. Not some left in an opened tin.

I reckon after 7 years it'll need a fair bit of stirring.

Quandary

Visit site
Antifouling life

When TBT was banned we stocked up with enough for about five seasons.
In 2008 I was tempted by two rusty old tins of Shogun on offer in the local chandlers at less than half price, when we went to use it, it was very hard to stir, took ages to mix in the copper mud in the bottom of the tin and when it went on it dried out with copper coloured pimples all over it. So I complained and was referred to the importers, they sent me 5 litres by carrier, but on delivery both tins were bashed and leaking, and the van drivers eyes were watering. I took it off him because he was so uncomfortable and reported the problem, so they sent me two more tins. They were very concerned that I disposed of the leaky tins responsibly so I had no option but to put it on the boat, I reckon I still have enough for 2011.

Other threads that may be of interest