Dodgy Planking repairs?

JonnieFlamingo

Visit site
Evening all,
I'm still stripping paint off Flamingo my 1930's Gaff Cutter and have come across some repairs in the planking. Essentially a small section has been replaced where the steel floors inside are bolted through. The new wood is not long enough to span two frames which seems odd to me and the bolts have been cranked up so tight the wood has compressed. Being a bit of a newbie I'm not sure if this is a good repair, bad repair, or downright disastrous repair. Any advice?
P1020328.jpg

Visit site
The presence of nails at each end of each graving piece indicates that they are probably not full depth (as they usually should not be). However, if the inserts are visible on the inside of the hull as well as the outside, then measure their lengths on both sides. If the outside dimensions are longer by an inch or so then the ends were tapered before insertion and everything should be fine. If not, then the pieces are straight-sided as well as being full depth (and the nails have been driven sideways) and I'd be inclined to replace them while the hull's still bare. (As shown, they look fine.)

Mike

mtb

Visit site
Evening all,
I'm still stripping paint off Flamingo my 1930's Gaff Cutter and have come across some repairs in the planking. Essentially a small section has been replaced where the steel floors inside are bolted through. The new wood is not long enough to span two frames which seems odd to me and the bolts have been cranked up so tight the wood has compressed. Being a bit of a newbie I'm not sure if this is a good repair, bad repair, or downright disastrous repair. Any advice?
View attachment 46022

they look like a router has been used with a guide to rout out hence the nice edges

Sniper

Visit site
Original ferrous floor fastenings will have damaged the surface of the planking, so the partial thickness graving pieces will have been fitted to make good the surface for new fastenings. The fastenings would have been better slightly recessed into the graving pieces but as long as the new wood has been fitted and glued securely they shouldn't give any problems.

On closer inspection the fastening heads probably have been slightly recessed - most apparent on the lower one.

Last edited:

johnlilley

www.seasurveys.co.uk
If I am honest, I think at least one section of planking should have been replaced extending at least three frames fore & aft of the repairs as I see there is also a join below the areas repaired & in effect there could be a structural weakness at this section of hull now with the plank continuity of strength all dubious at the same vertical point for at lease four planks, This is even more important at the point of the floors.

John Lilley

JonnieFlamingo

Visit site
Thanks everyone for the replies, You're right mtb, definitely a router job, I think, Sniper, they are partial thickness, but as John Lilley points out perhaps at least one should have been extended to improve the structure. Slightly surprised that a boatyard would do it this way but given that the planking appears to have several repairs and a lot of the joints are a bit too close to each other for comfort, and in 'rebuilding' the stem they have employed the 'empty a bucket of epoxy resin into it' method as you can see in my latest blog www.justflamingo.com, perhaps I shouldn't be too surprised. Thanks again for the replies. Jonathan

JonnieFlamingo

Visit site
Jonnie,did you get the pitch pine sample?
John Lilley +1.Certainly a weak point now,4 joints together on the same frame.When planking none are acceptable.

I did thank you Mad Pad! It arrived just the other day, smells fab! Once I'm all stripped off (fnar) I'll work out what I need and get a price from your contact.
Jonathan