Do you keep a log?

hlb

RIP
Visit site
We tried to for a while, but now reverted back to. Notes on the back of fag packet or back of overnight mooring bill.
But more and more becomming nothing unless in deap sh*t.
Then wife starts scribling but then not much time to read and cant find glasses.
For long journeys we try to put a bit of effort in. Like position every half hour or so. Then if all go'se blank, at least you've got a clue where you are, and a direction to head in.

Having said that. Its good to have a proper log book. Not one of those they sell in the chandlers. Just a book.
Then after all the important writings, like position, weather, direction. You can write things like.
TRIP TO JERSEY
Wife was as sick as a dog and we saw the dolfins as well.

Haydn

G

Re: er not really...

Swmbo keeps a log of trips etc for as a "boat diary" rather than a real log. I mark positions on a chart on long sea trips (x-channel) sometimes.

I have hired charter boats which have "10.06 slipped hamble marina, 10.11 hamble point marina on starboard beam , etc etc" which seems silly.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

It depends what you mean by 'log'. If you mean a position log updated, say, every 1/2hour then I would say its nigh on impossible to do on a planing boat basically because you cant write in any kind of a sea. In displacement boats, of course, its different.
Personally, at the end of every trip, however short, I do write up a fairly detailed log mainly because I want to keep a record of engine hours, fuel consumption and any problems. Oh yes, and restaurants visited

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Well you would'nt would you Byron, you daft bugger.
Hamersmith Bridge. Sea State F6. Wind Over Tide. Lat X.
Long Y. Henley On Thames. Position Lat. Long. Course N By NW Mag. Deviation X.
Yer clot!!

Haydn

ArthurWood

Visit site
Re: Only on longish trips

over 50nm. I also keep track of eng temp, oil press, fuel cost, fuel consumption and any maint. probs. for future attention. Also make piloting notes for posssible future use at tricky entrances.

PGD

www.peter-davey.com
like many other on the middle Thames , there seems little point as you can spit to both banks from near enough any point, but I decided to keep trip notes now that I've just refitted the boat with a new disel. Though it would provide a useful record, engine hour, miles travel, fuel used etc, Don't go into great ramblings just a few basics - and as has been pointed out before, pubs, moorings and eats out.

Marry and Happy everything - now that's me covered for the year :)

peter

Col

Visit site
This reminds me of when I took my src test ( for dsc radios )
There was a chap on the same course that runs a pleasure boat on the thames. I got talking to him, and he says it is a requirement to have a dsc radio on his boat.
( for those of you that dont know about these radios, when you press the distress button, among other things it transmits your gps derived position. )
I thought that was a bit over kill, but he said " fishing boats, commercial boats over 300 tons, and passenger carrying vessels equipped to carry 12 or more passengers have to have a dsc radio for their d.o.t licence"Just as I was musing over the idea of a full blown Thames rescue, Seakings hovering over Byrons house,and Trent class lifeboats coming through Boulters lock. He says
" You think thats daft, I also have to carry 2X eight man life rafts, complete with two weeks survival rations, the only thing i would use these for, is to chuck on the bank to stop my passengers shoes from getting muddy if we have to abandon ship!!"

I love red tape !

PGD

www.peter-davey.com
Re: Byron

I don't know, might be a good little service, flaoting offie, quick response and available in ch16 - can you get your dsc to put your order in as well as giving your location ;-)

PGD

www.peter-davey.com
I can hear it now

Byron, Byron, Byron, this is motor boat Thalassa, in position moored at Harleyford, chandlery closed, morale sinking fast, immediate assistance required, crew of two, no thirst quenching equipment on board, Over !

byron

RIP
Visit site
Jeeze! Haydn you really don't know do you and I thought you were kidding. You do that and you might hit the Montgomery (which would be good for a bang), failing that and missing Spile, East Last, Margate Sands etc. you will end up in Belgium. The estuary has more than just the Brambles to think about it is littered with wrecks, forts & sand banks.
Now had you said turn left at Needles and end up in Cherbourg that would be sort of acceptable.

ô¿ô
www.education-jobs.co.uk
www.alexander-advertising.co.uk