Do you have old electronic stuff?

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Yes, who'd want a modern radar that uses a fraction of the power to give consistently better results and enables you to use two sets of settings simultaneously so you can see pot markers/flotsam and distant ships/weather at the same time?

I get the argument that it's expensive, and I understand wanting to keep things running, but there are certainly benefits to opening new boxes.
I VERY much doubt modern radars see targets very much better than our old Raytheon. It’s also got two EBL and VRM markers so it’ll keep an eye on two targets.

It’s got the bigger scanner so it’s beam width is narrower which helps.

It’s losing gain so I’m guessing the magnetron is finally failing although regarding power, it only uses a couple of amps from memory.

lustyd

Visit site
I VERY much doubt modern radars see targets very much better than our old Raytheon
Well we get pot markers, so there's that. Narrow beam helps a little, but the modern sets also use frequency modulation and other techniques to give considerably better results. They use considerably less power than the old ones, and because they're solid state can act as two completely independent radar antennas at the same time. You should try one out, they really are better in every way as far as I can tell.
I can track up to 20 targets, all of which can be automatically detected and overlaid with AIS information on the chart

Last edited:

doug748

Visit site
When I bought the boat I replaced almost all the electronics as they were getting on a bit (and then I'm being kind).
The oldest I still have is the Sailor VHF - and I have no intention of replacing it because
1. It still works perfectly
2. As it's a non-DSC set, I'm spared all those annoying alerts (which are 13 a dozen right here).

View attachment 166217

Yes, keep your old VHF. In the first post I forgot to mention I have a pretty new DSC, Icom VHF, mistake. You have to take innovation on merit. New is best to is a schoolboy catchphrase, often seen on these pages, I think often with some obscure political motivation.

I also forgot to add that I have one of these:

1697882351687.jpeg

Does not count for the purposed of this thread as it lives in the loft and I don't think it ever did anything useful even when new. 😐