Do you dread seeing a boat with a particular national ensign come towards you?

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
Thanks KellsEye, you've cheered me up no end; even by your exacting standards, this one was a corker:

>Some Brits / Germans / Italians / etc steal stuff as well.
I have no proof of that...Do you have any proof Brits / Germans / Italians / etc ? steal, if so where when and what?
...And I can assure the French do steal as a Frenchman in Martinique told me...

Whilst I hate to be picky and concede that my limited legal knowledge leans more to contract rather than criminal law, your post does perhaps suggest the slightest hint of double-standards with regard to the rules of evidence?

RichardS (home noted as Midlands, so presumably British?) tells you that "some' Brits / Germans / Italians / etc steal stuff", yet you refute this suggestion for a lack of hard evidence. Meanwhile, you continue to assert that 'the French (all of them presumably?) do steal, because "a Frenchman in Martinique told me."

Then again, perhaps I've completely misconstrued the thrust of your post and what you're actually reporting is the inherent truthfulness of Frenchmen in Martinique, when compared to people from the Midlands, whose word is clearly not to be believed.

I've lost count of the number of times that I've heard the story about the French sailing book which explains how to steal, though I've never yet seen the name or ISBN number of this famous book included in the allegation - not even by yourself in this latest re-hash. You also repeat the tale of the Frenchman leaving the Caribbean with a yacht stuffed-full of stolen dinghies. Whilst I've no doubt that some yacht, of some nationality at some time, has been stopped somewhere with a forecabin piled high with dinghies or perhaps outboards - as that's the other one that's oft repeated - I do find it difficult to believe that based on the second/third-hand stories circulating the Caribbean, this crime is repeated every year, with the invariably French perpetrator(s) departing from each of four or five different Caribbean Islands. Have you ever heard the term Urban Myth?

I do regret this inability to accept your allegations without some proof KellysEye, though if I were to subsequently discovered that you were actually a Frenchman from Martinique, who just happened to be currently residing in Emsworth, then I would of course change my position in an instant; as I know as well as the next man, that there's no solider piece of proof to be had, than the hearsay evidence of Frenchman from Martinique.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Thanks KellsEye, you've cheered me up no end; even by your exacting standards, this one was a corker

Whilst I hate to be picky and concede that my limited legal knowledge leans more to contract rather than criminal law, your post does perhaps suggest the slightest hint of double-standards with regard to the rules of evidence?

RichardS (home noted as Midlands, so presumably British?) tells you that "some' Brits / Germans / Italians / etc steal stuff", yet you refute this suggestion for a lack of hard evidence. Meanwhile, you continue to assert that 'the French (all of them presumably?) do steal, because "a Frenchman in Martinique told me."

Then again, perhaps I've completely misconstrued the thrust of your post and what you're actually reporting is the inherent truthfulness of Frenchmen in Martinique, when compared to people from the Midlands, whose word is clearly not to be believed.

I've lost count of the number of times that I've heard the story about the French sailing book which explains how to steal, though I've never yet seen the name or ISBN number of this famous book included in the allegation - not even by yourself in this latest re-hash. You also repeat the tale of the Frenchman leaving the Caribbean with a yacht stuffed-full of stolen dinghies. Whilst I've no doubt that some yacht, of some nationality at some time, has been stopped somewhere with a forecabin piled high with dinghies or perhaps outboards - as that's the other one that's oft repeated - I do find it difficult to believe that based on the second/third-hand stories circulating the Caribbean, this crime is repeated every year, with the invariably French perpetrator(s) departing from each of four or five different Caribbean Islands. Have you ever heard the term Urban Myth?

I do regret this inability to accept your allegations without some proof KellysEye, though if I were to subsequently discovered that you were actually a Frenchman from Martinique, who just happened to be currently residing in Emsworth, then I would of course change my position in an instant; as I know as well as the next man, that there's no solider piece of proof to be had, than the hearsay evidence of Frenchman from Martinique.

Hear say , what a wonderful thing , NOT , I have found in my experances that 8 out 10 hear say is a load on Ballsx ( I know I am aloud to use that word because a freind of a friend , brother , sister in law , father said I could , or was it I couldn't . )

Last edited:

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
>Then again, perhaps I've completely misconstrued the thrust of your post and what you're actually reporting is the inherent truthfulness of Frenchmen in Martinique

If the French owner of a generator sales and repair shop specifically tells me the French steal things, firstly it is not hearsay and second I believe what he says, there is no reason he would lie. He also told me about the French boat stuffed with dinghies and outboards and they stole a racing boat in the BVI's. I got the feeling he was warning everyone, for good reason.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
>Then again, perhaps I've completely misconstrued the thrust of your post and what you're actually reporting is the inherent truthfulness of Frenchmen in Martinique

If the French owner of a generator sales and repair shop specifically tells me the French steal things, firstly it is not hearsay and second I believe what he says, there is no reason he would lie. He also told me about the French boat stuffed with dinghies and outboards and they stole a racing boat in the BVI's. I got the feeling he was warning everyone, for good reason.

Funny you should say that because in Spain I was told by a restaurant owner all the Brits in Spain are prisons on the run or drug lords , so best if we all keep away from Spain in case we are misstaken for one ,
This french Romours really need to stop , if I was french and read this type of c@@p , I be really pissed off with the English .
French sailors are no more thief then us Brits .

Last edited:

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
>This french Romours really need to stop

I suggest you ring Patrice at Mecanique Pleasance in Martinique and ask him if the French stealing things is true. Please post here what says or don't you dare?

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
This french Romours really need to stop , if I was french and read this type of c@@p , I be really pissed off with the English .

On one of the past occasions where he/she insisted with these offending remarks (the subject was something on the lines of "what is the most dangerous thing which might happen in an anchorage" and the message was "being anchored next to French ppeople because they will steal from you") I reported this "KellyEye" poster to the Moderators, apparently with no effect.
I could understand the bit of humour, but something written and repeated over and over again is not humour, nor does he/she pretends so, rather unveiling a secret truth to the rest of the forumites.

Suppose one sees a couple of elderly gentlemen speaking Oxford English somewhere in Thailand or Indonesia, in happy company of very young boys, following KellysEye logic one might say "careful with the Brits they are paedophiles, trust me I saw them; if you have children it's the most dangerous thing which may happen to you at anchor".
Needless to say this kind of behaviour has no preferred nationality. Like thieves, or people iterating over and over idiot opinions in forums, of course.
Shameful generalizations, especially in a forum where people gather from different nationalities.

I am not French but keep enjoying company of French and UK sailors, *especially* for all their differences, it's not one Englishman repeated idiot "opinion" who would ever change my mind.
Rest assured anyone with a bit of brain -whatever nationality- will feel the same.

Tranona

Visit site
On one of the past occasions where he/she insisted with these offending remarks (the subject was something on the lines of "what is the most dangerous thing which might happen in an anchorage" and the message was "being anchored next to French ppeople because they will steal from you") I reported this "KellyEye" poster to the Moderators, apparently with no effect.
I could understand the bit of humour, but something written and repeated over and over again is not humour, nor does he/she pretends so, rather unveiling a secret truth to the rest of the forumites.
If you look across the other forums you will see he (and it is a he) has form for making statements like this without any proof and is impervious to any criticism or suggestion that it might be helpful if he provided solid evidence of his outrageous claims. They are never first hand but always, as in this case "Patrice told me" - therefore it must be true. Now if he had posted a photo of a French boat full of stolen dinghies or a French sailor actually stealing a dinghy from an English boat it might be different.

All one can do is remind him every time he does it, that he has to provide real evidence, and then eventually he might get the message!

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
>This french Romours really need to stop

I suggest you ring Patrice at Mecanique Pleasance in Martinique and ask him if the French stealing things is true. Please post here what says or don't you dare?

BLUFF CALLED: I know this post wasn't directed at me, but as I have a good friend and fluent French-speaking friend who is currently in Martinique, I forwarded a link of this thread to him and asked if he might enquire. I just got a reply from Jon advising that having spoken to a guy called Patrice Caillot at Mechanique Plaisance in Marin (we're assuming that's whom you meant?) he refutes - apparently quite forcefully - having had any such conversation or made such a suggestion to anyone.

Of course, I do concede that in the world of KellysEye, my having obtained this information second hand from someone who's not French means it can't be considered as definitive evidence, but sadly it's the best I could manage as my phone won't make calls to places outside the USA.

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
While no doubt intending to be innocently light-hearted, the theme of this thread could be open to those with a touch of xenophobia. And so it was with the usual suspect's oft-repeated Francophobic comments that mercifully have been totally exposed as fabricated nonsense. Well done BobnLesley!

Tranona

Visit site
While no doubt intending to be innocently light-hearted, the theme of this thread could be open to those with a touch of xenophobia. And so it was with the usual suspect's oft-repeated Francophobic comments that mercifully have been totally exposed as fabricated nonsense. Well done BobnLesley!

+1

Visit site

+2

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com

Totally agree.. It was started as a light hearted thread but unfortunately it has gone the wrong way.
As the original O.P can I suggest that no more comments are added so that it can wither and die with BobnLesleys post being there to end it.

Tranona

Visit site
Totally agree.. It was started as a light hearted thread but unfortunately it has gone the wrong way.
As the original O.P can I suggest that no more comments are added so that it can wither and die with BobnLesleys post being there to end it.

+1

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
>I just got a reply from Jon advising that having spoken to a guy called Patrice Caillot at Mechanique Plaisance in Marin (we're assuming that's whom you meant?) he refutes - apparently quite forcefully - having had any such conversation or made such a suggestion to anyone.

I doubt Patrice would say anything about the French if he doesn't know them but he did know me. We had a 3,000rpm generator that had failed after 450 hours and he had come to the boat check it. He came again to remove it and take it apart. Later he called me to say that it had a cracked cylinder and was not worth repairing. I arranged to meet him on the dock and was about to lock the dinghy to the dock and he said ''Don't bother the French won't steal it until early May when they leave to go back to France'', it was January. When negotiating a new generator I asked about what he said on the dock and he went on to say the things I posted. If you don't believe that I don't a have a problem, but it is true otherwise I wouldn't have posted it.

bob234

Living on board - 8 years in Med, now in Caribbean
Visit site
>I just got a reply from Jon advising that having spoken to a guy called Patrice Caillot at Mechanique Plaisance in Marin (we're assuming that's whom you meant?) he refutes - apparently quite forcefully - having had any such conversation or made such a suggestion to anyone.

I doubt Patrice would say anything about the French if he doesn't know them but he did know me. We had a 3,000rpm generator that had failed after 450 hours and he had come to the boat check it. He came again to remove it and take it apart. Later he called me to say that it had a cracked cylinder and was not worth repairing. I arranged to meet him on the dock and was about to lock the dinghy to the dock and he said ''Don't bother the French won't steal it until early May when they leave to go back to France'', it was January. When negotiating a new generator I asked about what he said on the dock and he went on to say the things I posted. If you don't believe that I don't a have a problem, but it is true otherwise I wouldn't have posted it.

Knowing Patrice and Jean Paul at Mecanique Plaisance after an engine change last year it would not surprise me if Patrice said exactly what Kelly's Eye says he said. It would also not surprise me if he was being either ironic or taking the piss. From what I could see very few of the French bother to lock their dinghies and Patrice seeing a 'foreigner' locking his could lead to his making that sort of comment out of jest.

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
>seeing a 'foreigner' locking his could lead to his making that sort of comment out of jest.

I don't think it was in jest about locking dinghies because when I saw him after what he said on the pontoon he said about the French boat that was caught stuffed full of dinghies and engines and the racing boat stolen in the BVI's, repainted and renamed in French St Martin and sailed to France. I doubt he would jest about that nor would I, crime is serious.