Do you dread seeing a boat with a particular national ensign come towards you?

Tranona

Visit site
>I just got a reply from Jon advising that having spoken to a guy called Patrice Caillot at Mechanique Plaisance in Marin (we're assuming that's whom you meant?) he refutes - apparently quite forcefully - having had any such conversation or made such a suggestion to anyone.

I doubt Patrice would say anything about the French if he doesn't know them but he did know me. We had a 3,000rpm generator that had failed after 450 hours and he had come to the boat check it. He came again to remove it and take it apart. Later he called me to say that it had a cracked cylinder and was not worth repairing. I arranged to meet him on the dock and was about to lock the dinghy to the dock and he said ''Don't bother the French won't steal it until early May when they leave to go back to France'', it was January. When negotiating a new generator I asked about what he said on the dock and he went on to say the things I posted. If you don't believe that I don't a have a problem, but it is true otherwise I wouldn't have posted it.

It may be that it is true what he said, but that does not mean that what he said is true. Seems you have a problem differentiating between the two. So turning an off the cuff remark all those years ago (and since denied) into evidence for you belief that all French yachtsmen are thieves and to be avoided is a bit rich.

BTW I had my dinghy stolen 25 years ago - crime number and insurance payout as proof - and almost certainly by an Englishman. Does that mean I have to avoid all boats with a Red ensign?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
It may be that it is true what he said, but that does not mean that what he said is true. Seems you have a problem differentiating between the two. So turning an off the cuff remark all those years ago (and since denied) into evidence for you belief that all French yachtsmen are thieves and to be avoided is a bit rich.

BTW I had my dinghy stolen 25 years ago - crime number and insurance payout as proof - and almost certainly by an Englishman. Does that mean I have to avoid all boats with a Red ensign?
No only english men who grandfather , grandparents are of french descent :)

Tranona

Visit site
No only english men who grandfather , grandparents are of french descent :)

Not too many of them in Parkstone where my dinghy was stolen - and it was long before migration from E Europe so i can't blame it on them. Plenty of home grown scroats with light fingers, but usually not brave enough to take to the water in a yacht!

jordanbasset

Visit site
When we over wintered in Almerimar we had a Frenchman and his family one boat down from us. Of course I say his family I now realise they were part of the French mafia family. Come to think of it when they passed our boat in the morning and gave a cheery wave and a Bonjour, I am sure they must have been casing it. Infact they did take an unhealthy interest in my fenders, asking how did I keep them so clean. Am surprised I survived the winter unscathed, obviously had a lucky escape. Will be more vigilant in future, the next French man who says Bonour to me or compliments my fenders will get short shrift I can tell you:D

Last edited:

akyaka

Visit site
Not too many of them in Parkstone where my dinghy was stolen - and it was long before migration from E Europe so i can't blame it on them. Plenty of home grown scroats with light fingers, but usually not brave enough to take to the water in a yacht!

You must be very old then considering when the Angles and the Saxons to name but two tribes who migrated from E Europe. ;)

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
>It may be that it is true what he said, but that does not mean that what he said is true.

There is no reason he would lie abut his countrymen, what I think is he was warning me in the hope that I passed it on, which I did to other cruisers. If you look here you might be surprised how many dinghies are stolen in the Caribbean: https://www.safetyandsecuritynet.com/

Other dinghy theft hotspots when we were there were Margarita off Venezuela and Spanish Waters in Curacao.

macd

Visit site
There is no reason he would lie abut his countrymen...

Was it the sodium pentothal you gave him that convinced you of that, or the lie-detector test? Lots of people routinely "lie", as you put it, or take the Mick, as others might have it. Especially when confronted with reactionary buffoons with a fondness for turning the particular into the general.

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
>Was it the sodium pentothal you gave him that convinced you of that, or the lie-detector test? Lots of people routinely "lie", as you put it, or take the Mick, as others might have it. Especially when confronted with reactionary buffoons with a fondness for turning the particular into the general.

What on earth are you on about.

alexsailor

Visit site
Yesterday evening/night, Kalo Limeni, Kefalonia.
First a British Catamaran anchored.... well I stopped counting how many times... It was not charter.
But there were two chartered catamarans with English people on: drinking & loud music... This bay is called Kalo Limeni (kalo-peaceful bay)...
Whatever...

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Yesterday evening/night, Kalo Limeni, Kefalonia.
First a British Catamaran anchored.... well I stopped counting how many times... It was not charter.
But there were two chartered catamarans with English people on: drinking & loud music... This bay is called Kalo Limeni (kalo-peaceful bay)...
Whatever...

Alex , did you try your trick , stripping off and having loud sex , :) that will chase any of us brit away , well unless it happen to be me , I like a good show .

alexsailor

Visit site
Did not:)
But my strategy is when I see a charter boat that is likely to drop an anchor in my cockpit, I walk naked to the bow and slowly back. I guess I am so ugly that in 99% cases they go away. That 1% that still stays must have a really desperate crew on board/)

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
I wasn't planning to contribute to this thread but, currently, French and German based purely on the display of men's tackle at sunrise... Please put it away! Many thanks :encouragement:

Samantha, you should know both the French and Germans love fishing and will get their tackle out at every opportunity.

Blue Sunray

Visit site
While no doubt intending to be innocently light-hearted, the theme of this thread could be open to those with a touch of xenophobia. And so it was with the usual suspect's oft-repeated Francophobic comments that mercifully have been totally exposed as fabricated nonsense. Well done BobnLesley!

+1