Do I have electrolysis going on??

freddyuk

Visit site
Could anyone advise if they think I have an electrolysis problem looking at the corrosion around my immersion boss and the slight staining of the brass fittings? The calorifier is in the air flow between air intakes so salty cold air flowing through.
The boss was full of water and rusted the earth stud and nut.

Attachments

• 20211211_115920_resized.jpg
    20211211_115920_resized.jpg
    527.6 KB · Views: 96
  • 20211211_120326_resized.jpg
    20211211_120326_resized.jpg
    489.9 KB · Views: 96

Bandit

Visit site
I would not say electrolysis but its either got very wet or been underwater, I assume that is a 240v immersion heater so not a good mix.

Freebee

Visit site
not electrolysis looks like a small water leak from inside thats filled up the immersion body and started some rusting of steel parts OR water has dripped on it from above....................... either way need some investigation before you switch it on!!

freddyuk

Visit site
Cable disconnected. Only installed and tested. Worked fine. Then took boat out to check the indirect system heated the tank too. All OK.
I suspect the pressure when it was hot caused the leak as it is dry now. No chance off water leaking onto it as it's under saloon floor.

Tranona

Visit site
Straightforward rust from a leak. Electrolysis occurs when there are 2 dissimilar metals in contact in an electrolyte such as seawater. These conditions do not exist in this situation - you have no seawater and the components are ferrous. Mix water and ferrous and you get rust. clean it up and paint it with something like Hammerite or simply stop the leak and replace the rusty bits.

freddyuk

Visit site
I am in touch with calorifier supplier as this is brand new but not used since installation 12 months ago except for testing. It was pointed out that I may have electrolysis due to the staining/corrosion on the brass inlet / outlet fittings and the peeling support bands? The only seawater is the air through the vents - the boat has not been flooded to the height of the immersion as it would be on the bottom now! The immersion is factory fitted so not something I am responsible for. I cannot see a way to get the thermostat out and I have not wanted to drain down again to check the boss seal as it is a pain to get to. If it is a leak then it needs completely replacing but "this has never happened before".

Seastoke

Visit site
Could anyone advise if they think I have an electrolysis problem looking at the corrosion around my immersion boss and the slight staining of the brass fittings? The calorifier is in the air flow between air intakes so salty cold air flowing through.
have you cleaned around the top as if it was a leak we would see rust marks running down the side .

Bandit

Visit site
I assume the Cylinder is vertical with the Immersion head at the top?
Possibly a drip from above or a drip or condensation or water running down the outside of the black hose into the well in the insulation where the immersion head sits.
Perchance is this in the way of the engine room air inlet where air and in poor conditions spray can enter, it looks as if there were salt crystals on the black hose?

BartW

www.amptec.be
as others have said, this is no electrolysis, but corrosion from the STEEL nut holding the earth wire,
this should have been SS or brass nut !

where are the water drips on the black hose coming from ?
and the brass fitting appears to be wet (might be the lightning / picture)?

Plum

Visit site
Not electrolysis. If that was mine would disconnect the hoses and remove the complete calorifier for good access. Unscrew the heating element and either clean all the rust and crud (or just replace the element and thermostat with new ones) ensuring there are no materials that will rust. Then refit and ensure no water can ever drip or run onto the top of the calorifier again.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

freddyuk

Visit site
The system has only been tested as it is brand new. So running the engine up to temperature would pressurise the system and force water out of the cylinder if there was a small leak. This would sit in the well around the immersion and not overflow as the pressure would no longer be there.?? I have not run the boat since. There is condensation in the engine compartment because it is winter and there is cold air coming in via the vents either side of the compartment and this hitting the slightly warmer hoses thus condensing on the pipes and fittings. I think this is normal. I am running a dehumidifier above in the boat but this will not work in the engine room.
I am not removing the kit until I hear back from the supplier as this is brand new. I think all the metal should be stainless of course.
I cannot see any way that water can get onto the top of the immersion unless it is leaking. Condensation would not cause that much water to sit as it would run down and away from the immersion boss. There is no route from the hoses only the cable.
See the cap image.....
Supplier was suggesting the staining on the brass was caused by electrolysis which it seems is not the case so that is good.

Attachments

• 20211211_120850_resized_1.jpg
    20211211_120850_resized_1.jpg
    530.2 KB · Views: 9