DIY sailboat restoration project - shed needed

XWZ

Visit site
Hi everyone,

I've been reading this forum for a while but this is my very first post :)

Here's the situation: I'm very likely to buy an old 32" sailboat which is going to be my DIY refitting project for the next 6 - 8 months roughly.
The main issue is a lot of moisture trapped in the deck core between the two layers of fiberglass which I'll have to fix by open it up, replace the core, and patch the holes with new fiberglass (easier said then done).
To do so I'll need a place where I can keep the deck shield from rain and direct sunlight so I was wondering if any of you knows a boatyard anywhere in England with a shed, or any kind of suitable protection, where I can carry on this project?
I was also thinking of building a temporary cover secured on top of the boat just enough to cover the deck.

Really appreciate any suggestion.

Thanks you!

Tranona

Visit site
Covered working space is incredibly expensive, even if you can find any with water access. building a cover is usually much more economical and practical.

Do not underestimate the time and difficulty involved in replacing the core on a deck - it is almost always worse than you imagine. I assume you are planning to work pretty much full time if you hope to achieve it in that timescale. Usually a diagnosis such as this is a sign to run away from the boat unless either it is very, very cheap or very, very desirable - or both.

fisherman

Visit site
I've seen temporary/semi permanent shelters at Gweek Boat yard. Each wooden arch is church window shaped, made by creating a curve with two bits of 75x25mm, blocks between and nailed, then fixed at the apex with ply cleats, arranged in a row with stringers and plastic over all. They are tall. Some folk try alkathene water pipe hoops, but get telecoms/fibre optic ducting, 18mm or 22mm, it has multiple cores, can be screwed and bolted, it doesn't kink or collapse.
(There is some for sale, which I am selling for my deceased friend's widow, he used it for lobster pot hoops. Probably get told off for this, but PM me if interested.)

seaangler23

Visit site
If masts off run 2 uprights bow and stern witha wooden spine running the length with enough room to work under, then use alkathene pipe to create ribs down to the toerail and get a good strong canvas or tarp to cover the lot. It's a faff to get set up but know of a few who do it and gives a good area to work, clear tarps better for light.
Good luck on a balsa core I started the forward deck on my small motor boat about 3 yrs ago and it's almost done but I can't go near it, the though of fiberglass and dust makes me cringe thinking about it.

lw395

Visit site
Hi everyone,

I've been reading this forum for a while but this is my very first post :)

Here's the situation: I'm very likely to buy an old 32" sailboat which is going to be my DIY refitting project for the next 6 - 8 months roughly.
The main issue is a lot of moisture trapped in the deck core between the two layers of fiberglass which I'll have to fix by open it up, replace the core, and patch the holes with new fiberglass (easier said then done).
To do so I'll need a place where I can keep the deck shield from rain and direct sunlight so I was wondering if any of you knows a boatyard anywhere in England with a shed, or any kind of suitable protection, where I can carry on this project?
I was also thinking of building a temporary cover secured on top of the boat just enough to cover the deck.

Really appreciate any suggestion.

Thanks you!

A mate of mine re-cored most of his deck from underneath, vacuum bagging new grp onto sheet foam.
There are variations on this, including sprayed foam.

When it comes to big projects:
1) you need it to be close to home (or move close to the project)
2) there comes a point where it is better to pay a yard to crack on and do the work, than to pay extended storage. Particularly indoor storage.
3) price your time
4) If a project taking over you life for N months doesn't get you something you couldn't otherwise achieve then why are you doing it? Some people need to have a project, some people want a boat to sail.

Reactions: XWZ

DownWest

Visit site
The most important bit is it needs to be close to your residence. The further away, the less gets done, on a sliding scale (downwards..)
My boat shed is two steps from the house, so any spare time is usefully employed.

The bow shed idea above is common on the Wooden Boat Forum. A bit invested at the start, might speed up the finish time. Plenty of people on there have built boats in low winter temps
Edit. Missed the last post. Similar ideas.

pvb

Visit site

Welcome to the forums. The work you describe isn't 6-8 months, it's going to take rather longer. Budget for 2-3 years.

Turnnidge

Visit site
It may be worth taking a look at Sail Life on YouTube. He has done a full core replacement on the deck of his warrior 38. One hell of a job, the rest of the work he is doing is to the highest standards too.

peteK

Visit site
As said above it will take years and cost more than you think and wont be worth much when you have finished if it gets finished at all sorry to be so negative but have seen so many dreams abandoned over the years that I don't think I have actually seen one completed.
Better to buy a boat in good condition as you can always find jobs to do on it and go sailing.

Reactions: XWZ

XWZ

Visit site
Hi!
Thank you all very much for the info and for giving me a probably more realistic timescale of messy jobs ahead of me.
I had a look at the yard recommended and, although suitable, they are indeed very far from where I live.
I've found a few marinas nearby with a free slot and a cradle for a reasonable price so I think, if I decided to go ahead with the project, I'll try to build a protective structure above the deck with enough space to work in like some of you suggested.
Tomorrow I'll have a chat with a surveyor to establish the overall condition of the vessel and I'll take it from there.
YES the boat is quite cheap and YES I like her a lot! Hopefully I'll change my mind.

I'll keep you posted,
Stefano

XWZ

Visit site
Can't believe 6 years have gone by... But, with a tiny little pandemic in the middle, I've managed to finish the biggest undertaking of my life, and rebuild the whole deck (and a metric ton of other smaller jobs).

Here are a before / during / after picture of the job.

0432E1AC-7210-44CC-BF84-03DA58FC61AD_Original.jpgEC2AACC1-2859-4772-8906-B225FE0E8542.JPG579493BB-65AF-464B-A1DF-3E56D096F50F.JPG

Almost 2000 small holes left by the teck screws had been leaking for years, so the hole balsa core was completely rotten!

IMG_5294_Original.jpg

So I removed it, cleaned the bottom part, and replace with playwood.

IMG_6180_Original.jpg

Some images of the spray painting job I did using Jotun pruducts.

CC040D95-80E9-4A41-ADB8-869B15C9447C.JPG
9038B95E-02C0-4A5E-B650-6BC9C41F0BF3.JPG

Now back to Sailing!!!

f7323b97-39fe-4a7a-8e9e-1a8c52b0ab41.JPG

XWZ

Visit site
It may be worth taking a look at Sail Life on YouTube. He has done a full core replacement on the deck of his warrior 38. One hell of a job, the rest of the work he is doing is to the highest standards too.
Yes, I absolutely love His channel. Still watching it these days as he's sailing around. I've taken a different approach which was more suitable for the type of issues I dealt with.

XWZ

Visit site
As said above it will take years and cost more than you think and wont be worth much when you have finished if it gets finished at all sorry to be so negative but have seen so many dreams abandoned over the years that I don't think I have actually seen one completed.
Better to buy a boat in good condition as you can always find jobs to do on it and go sailing.
It took just forever and, especially during the pandemic, when my access to the yard was revoked, I had starting doubting myself... nevertheless I found the strength and kept going like a train every weekends for at least 8h a day non stop.
The lessons and skills I learned along the way are, at least for me, priceless, so much in fact that I get calls and messages from fellow sailor friends asking me advice on how to tackle similar jobs. Can't quite believe it :)