Displacement alloy catamarans

victoraspey

www.mcpmarine.com
Displacement. Cats

We have a 9m displacement cat available for charter if you fancy a try. Displacement cats do not follow the normal 3 times water length formula as their narrow hulls slice through the bow wave without a wall of water acting as a speed limiting brake. Displacement speed is typically 15 knots. Skin friction limits top speed. Narrower cats are more efficient say 3 to 1 length to overall beam ratio and 12to1 length to beam on the hulls.

Visit site
Hi Bekasi

She looks fabulous!
Well done!

Couple of points.
Don't believe the performance figures you have been given. Expect 18 knots top speed and a 15 knot cruise depending on load. At the 15 knot cruise expect to be burning more like 25 to 35 litres per hour. Which is still pretty good all things considered.

There seems to be quite a focus on fishing? If it is large fish you are after then consider having the transom moved all the way aft and getting rid of the bathing platform and rod pod as this will only serve as a line cutter if you happen to be playing a large fish "stand up" from within the cockpit (and believe me, in a blue water swell you won't want to be fighting a fish from outside of the cockpit regardless of what the designers tell you).

Bear in mind that displacement cats have almost zero forward bouyancy. All of the superstructure of your design is well forward. Make sure that the designers factor this in when constructing otherwise you are going to need a lot of ballast aft to stop some nasty handling characteristics in a following sea.

Hope you see the above as objective as she is fabulous!

Tom

bekasi

Visit site
Hi Nautibusiness,
Thanks alot for the advise....nah she is only for cruising and very minor small fishing...the fishing part are only render gimmics.Yes the designer is very experienced and thats the reason vee drives were chosen to shift all weight aft as much as he could despite the 20ft long cockpit,and a very good balance was achieved.He has been very thorough with this point I guess!! Thanks alot,will make that my strongest point during my meeting with him!