Disadvantages of petrol (inboard)

Judders

Visit site
My odyssy continues. A good friend of mine has suggested that a major disadvantage of the vessel I intend to view this weekend is that it has a (2//)petrol inboard.

I appreciate that petrol is more flamible, beyond that, what are the major drawbacks?

Tisme

Visit site
Petrol is much more expensive than marine (Red)diesel., and is not so readily available in Marinas etc.

2 strokes cost even more because of the 2 stroke oil.

It's a disadvantage, but depending on how you will use it, it need not be a major disadvantage.

Whitelighter

Visit site
OH
MY
GOD

Is this in revenge for accidently hijacking the fire in Haslar marina thread? Right, tell me, with proof, the last time a petrol boat exploded? And I mean exploded, not caught fire, burnt and sank - cos lots of blooming boats do that and most of them are diesel.

jonathankent

Visit site
We had one down here near Falmouth, Mylor I think, where the engine exploded and sent the 2 onboard 'flying' and quite seriously injured. Completely destroyed the mobo.... it does happen.

Whitelighter

Visit site
Possibly, I grant you.
Though, if it was the petrol that had exploded, I wouldn't have expected there to be much boat to tow in, bearing in mind how long it would have taken to get the lifeboat out - probably at least 10 minutes.
The Phantom 43 (much bigger) that caught fire in Chi was almost completely gutted in that time. Explosion could have equally been flares, cooking gas etc..

srp

Visit site
Good to hear so many supporters of petrol engines - I've got a Britt 5 hp that I want to sell!. After plugging against the tide and a head wind from Emsworth to East Head a few years ago I still have a vivid memory of lifting the engine cover for a quick check, to be met with a shimmering heat haze and a more than distinct whiff of petrol vapour. All this of course with a dry exhaust. That was the moment I made the decision to buy a Yanmar 1GM10 - best thing I ever bought. Three things I don't like on a boat - petrol, gas and any more than one sea cock (for the cooling water inlet).
Use the fact that it's got a petrol engine to knock the price down, and put the money saved towards a diesel.

Aja

Visit site
Well I've witnessed an Offshore 8-metre burn to the waterline on her mooring after the owner attempted to fix the magneto on his petrol engine.

Not a pretty sight.

Dont get many fires like that from diesel engines. Probably dont have many with magnetos right enough.

Donald

jonathankent

Visit site
Stupidity is only recognised by others.... in this case I'm sure the owner thought he/she knew what they were doing. Might seem stupid to you, but they obviously didn't. Sometimes accidents do happen... may have been avoidable, but still happen.

bumblefish

Visit site
Well my parents had a lovely time on their first trip on a new, to them, MOBO. Refuelled at Brighton Marina, did not vent the locker, started engine, petrol vapour exploded, mother in water, little hair left and burnt to water line. Boat not mother! Chaps at pumps pushed them off to avoid further fires. My new, to me, Elizabethan could barely produce enough diesel vapour from the tiny tank to light my cigarette!

alex_rogers

Visit site
I have a friend with a two stroke petrol inboard. It seems to involve a great deal of spark plug heating on the stove to get it running. There is the worry of the electrics getting wet, and the lubricating oil is added to petrol directly, and if left this apparently absorbs water making the engine harder to start.

Many of these issues have probably been solved in a modern petrol outboard, but I'd try to avoid an older inboard petrol engine.

Given the comments on here it might also be harder to shift when you come to sell her. However, if you're willing to do an engine change, and can get hold of a replacement inboard diesel, then you could get yourself a bargin.

yoda

Visit site
40 years on petrol and my boat is still fine. You will spend more time sailing because you don't want to pay for petrol but at least when you want the engine out you will have significantly less weight to lift. What kind of petrol engine is it?

Yoda