Diesel Question - Sort of

Rowana

Two steps lower than the ships' cat
Visit site
Hardly boaty I know, but our No2 car (diesel) sprung a slight leak the other week and deposited quite a few drops of the stuff on an otherwise clean tarmac drive.

With all the diesel expertiese out there, any suggestions for getting it off (the diesel I mean!) without melting the tarmac ??

Jim

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
if you're in a hurry, washing up liquid in warm water. otherwise let it evaporate. it will probably leave a mark because it attacks the asphalt.

<hr width=100% size=1>

VicS

Visit site
Washing up liquid is what I have aways used for small oil spills. Apply it neat to the affected area when the weather is dry allow to soak for a bit and if it doesn't rain in a day or so hose it off. BUT if havn't tried it on tarmac so test it in a corner first just to be sure there is no damage to the tarmac although I fear the diesel itself may attack it.

<hr width=100% size=1>

JMM

Visit site
Mixture of cat litter (Fuller's Earth) and washing soda plus washing-up liquid works well if it is still wet.

<hr width=100% size=1>Jon M.

VicS

Visit site
Re: GUNK

Are you sure it won't also remove the tarmac?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sybarite

Visit site
Ancedote. When I was connected with a car rental company one of our cars leaked a puddle of diesel about 9" in diameter. The woman asked us to resurface her entire driveway. The worst thing about this is that the courts agreed with her.

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

colvic

Visit site

Hasn't done so. I was changing the fuel filter on the diesel car and dropped the old one which split and poured over the tarmac and it still looks as good as new some three years later.

Phil

<hr width=100% size=1>

Rowana

Visit site
Do I have to consume vast quantities of alchohol first ??
What do you think is best??
I'm not really a fan of Guiness, but I'm partial to a Drambuie or three. Do you think this would do the trick??

Interestingly, the most drunk I ever got was about 30 years ago while I was in the Merchant Navy. We went into Latvia and got stuck into the local vodka hooch. The 2nd Engineer brought a bottle back to give the duty watch a taste. Where it had dribbled down the bottle on to the top of the bar, it completely removed the varnish. I distinctly remember falling backwards off the bar stool, and crawling off to my bed on all fours, as there was no way in this world I could regain the vertical ! Some of that stuff would DEFINATELY do something to the Diesel, but I'm not sure of my driveway.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Rowana

Visit site

I'll give Gunk a go and see what happens.

Thanks to all for the advice

Jim

<hr width=100% size=1>