diesel in france -

piewacket

Visit site
anyone been to France lately? what happens with checks.... I have a tank full of red diesel with no receipts as the boat is new to me -
can I top up with jerry can from car forecourt and produce that (this is my preferred way of top up as we are on swinging mooring) or do I need to go into marina and buy some red diesel and get receipt to show )
thanks .....

Daydream believer

Visit site
I was in Boulogne on 02 June & there were several UK yachts plus Dutch & Belgian there. I was the only one targeted by french customs. Had 3 officers aboard. All very polite & friendly. Looked at all papers . Usual questions- where was I going etc. They immediately gave boat a pretty thorough search. Up ended my bedding etc. Opened bags . Searched lockers, Used torches to search around engine area etc. Lifted bunk cushions to look under. Used radio to check passport details & other details I gave them. Looked at Insurance,VAT, SSR etc. (They also looked at my ICC - which past customs officers have looked at before in France & everyone on the forum tells me it is not needed in France unless going in canals- I must be the only one), Life raft service cert. But not flares, which were in date anyway. I think I saw one of them looking at the dial on the fire extinguisher over the cooker!!!, although it was awkward as another was asking a question at the time.
They made the comment that I seemed very relaxed about it all. They all took turns in asking questions & all seemed to study me carefully as i replied to each one
They were on board for 1 hour & 5 mins
They never once mentioned fuel

Last edited:

Sybarite

Visit site
I was in Boulogne on 02 June & there were several UK yachts plus Dutch & Belgian there. I was the only one targeted by french customs. Had 3 officers aboard. All very polite & friendly. Looked at all papers . Usual questions- where was I going etc. They immediately gave boat a pretty thorough search. Up ended my bedding etc. Opened bags . Searched lockers, Used torches to search around engine area etc. Lifted bunk cushions to look under. Used radio to check passport details & other details I gave them. Looked at Insurance,VAT, SSR etc. (They also looked at my ICC - which past customs officers have looked at before in France & everyone on the forum tells me it is not needed in France unless going in canals- I must be the only one), Life raft service cert. But not flares, which were in date anyway. I think I saw one of them looking at the dial on the fire extinguisher over the cooker!!!, although it was awkward as another was asking a question at the time.
They made the comment that I seemed very relaxed about it all. They all took turns in asking questions & all seemed to study me carefully as i replied to each one

Your log book should be consistent with your story about red diesel.

han34

Portsmouth, northern France in the summer
Visit site
Customs came on board two weeks ago in Concarneau. Just wanted to see boat registration and passports. They made a phonecall to check passports. Onboard for about fifteen minutes and gave us a form to show any future customs. This is the third time in the last ten years and the procedure has always been the same. Fuel has never been mentioned.

sailorman

Visit site
Were they trainees being tested

EdWingfield

Visit site
I believe (altho I don't know) that Dutch/Belgium/French authorities have access to a common database.

So, in theory, you should only be checked once per year, unless you are doing something you shouldn't.

I got boarded in a Belgium marina. Then, weeks later at sea a French Cutter arrived at speed. They asked me a few questions over the radio whilst shadowing me. After 10mins they wished me safe sailing and sped off.

So, if anyone else wants to board I will produce the log book and show the days of previous checks, and ask them to, Sir, please check your database.

Sybarite

Visit site

They should not have examined your sleeping quarters. They need a court order to do that. Did they ask you first?

Daydream believer

Visit site
They should not have examined your sleeping quarters. They need a court order to do that. Did they ask you first?
No, they just said that they wanted to have a look round, they did not ask as such. I did not object & would not have done so to a specific request.
I find your statement odd. If I had something untoward aboard are you suggesting that I can place it in my bed & deny them access ?
I cannot really see that as being a likely scenario. But then each country has different rules.
I believe there are also rules in some countries about being invited aboard & i did not actually "invite" them aboard. They just said "Hello" & came aboard as if I had invited them. Once again I would not have objected but I did point out that I had just served up my meal & they said that it was Ok I could carry on eating. However, I lost half my meal as it went cold as I had to keep stopping to find papers & answer questions & move to allow them to move about the boat & explain things like how to open lockers & turn on lights in the heads & the aft cabin etc

Daedelus

Visit site
Just got back from Cherbourg and apart from making a tour of a French Gendarmerie patrol boat with a very pleasant crew member who really worked hard at his English didn't see a soul who was the slightest interested.

The marina was reasonably keen to get it's fees but that was it.

Other threads that may be of interest