Diesel fuel polishing system - experiences?

vptech

Visit site
I did just type a post and lost it, it might get posted somewhere down the line. the long and the short is just use two raccors on a cross over like the commercial boats use so you can easily switch over

MapisM

Visit site
Seems risky drilling holes at the base of a tank imho
Drilling holes is no big deal.
Fitting a well sealed valve (or curve, whatever) afterwards is!
... unless the interior is accessible through an inspection plate, frinstance.
Otoh, the sight gauge could simply be T'ed to the existing drain - or are there reasons against that which I'm missing?

Portofino

Visit site
Drilling holes is no big deal.
Fitting a well sealed valve (or curve, whatever) afterwards is!
... unless the interior is accessible through an inspection plate, frinstance.
Otoh, the sight gauge could simply be T'ed to the existing drain - or are there reasons against that which I'm missing?

You are hanging on every word :) - no worries .
No its what next - with the nice hole easily made .
Here’s a pic from LR , who s engineers did as you said - drilled the easy bit , then what ?
Couple of rubber perishable washers ?, an inside bolt working loose ? , the metal flat resonating it’s seal away ?

Three words

Drip Drip Drip

We have Al tanks and the stuff connected is through what look like welded threaded female fitting s , no inside bolts ,just the thread and bit of diesel loctite and an O ring .

Suppose the sight cock ideally needs imho to be a 1-2 cm higher than the drain cock , I case the 8hit / sludge is soooo gummy it jams the sight cock from closing and some accident later the pipe is burst - you don’t want the dregs if any ,compromising the cock .
Our drain is actually a bolt you unscrew partially at the very lowest part .

Here’s a pic of LR,s hole drilled and attempted re seal , this accessory is the feed to new heater
https://imgur.com/a/LMVu9

gjgm

Visit site
Thank you again for all the valuable inputs from all of you! I am not "set in stone" about installing a polishing system.
If your fuel supplier turns over alot of fuel and you use the boat regularly then your original installation should be fine. You could always add in something like Marine 16 if you are apprehensive, but are you trying to solve a problem that you do not seem to have ?

derekbland

Visit site
I had to look up what a "Vilbebrequin" was. MY GOD £180 FOR A PAIR OF SWIMMING SHORTS. Do you get shares in the company too? :)

Montemar

www.voltloudspeakers.co.uk
Your existing fuel system already functions as both of those, bearing in mind that your fuel system already returns perhaps 80% of the drawn fuel back to the tan after passing it through the Racor primary and one-engine secondary filters.

So what does one of these systems offer, that you don't already have? Is the landau filter going to catch things that the Racor and on-engine filters don't? Really?

I agree with the above. Initially I bought a simple set up from ASAP supplies which I used to pump and polish fuel from one tank to the other. The big advantage was I could drain one tank into the other, get the lid off and clean out using old sheets as much as possible. However tank is baffled so could only get one third of it spotless but it was the part that had a recess in the base which was where water had collected. Unfortunately this was inaccessible from the outside.
After doing both tanks this way I finally found that the fuel polishing was not picking up more crud and none was appearing in the SEPAR filter bowls. So no further point in "polishing" I let the engines do it now but I watch it all carefully and carry backup filters for SEPAR and engines. I believe that any residual crud in the tanks is sticking to the sides where it is not causing problems.
I also use Grotamar 16 all the time now.

MapisM

Visit site
You are hanging on every word :) - no worries.
I didn't want to be picky, sorry if I came across that way but actually I was just strengthening (sort of) your point about being difficult to build a new connection on any fuel tank, unless accessible also from inside.

Not sure about your reasoning against using the drain plugs also for the sight gauges, though.
In a sense, it could be useful to notice that they get clogged, because it's an indicator that the respective tank bottom is in need of some cleaning.
And in the worst case, if after draining the tank the sight gauge would still be stuck, detach and reverse-clean it shouldn't be a problem... :)

TrondS

Visit site
It's been a few years now, so just to follow up with practical experience after installing a mechanical fuel polisher.

I went with the largest version of this system, which I got from LandauUK. First for my previous boat, and then same setup with my current boat:

The fuel purifier is installed like this:
Fuel tank -> fuel purifier (mechanical) -> Racor 500 -> secondary filter on engine -> engine.

With my previous boat (in 2019) I once got about a liter of water and some dirt while refueling. (First day of a long vacation trip around the coast of Norway)
During the next 10-12 hours of engine use, in rough 2-3 meter seas part of the time, the fuel purifier unit had separated all the water and dirt, while the Racor 500 filter still looked like new /unused. Not a single drop of water in the Racor water separator either.

Both the Racor 500 filter and the engine mounted filter are changed after every season (about 120-140 engine hours average), and the Racor filters have always been clean, and could probably have been used another season.

When that is said, from 2020 season with my current boat, I have always had clean fuel, and not even a single drop of water in the fuel.

With my setup, it does not prevent water coming into the fuel tank, but it is an extra safety barrier.
Financially, when I purchased these, the cost was about 1/3 of a double Racor filter. Easy choice for me.

Greg2

Visit site
A timely update as it bumped the post to the top, which I must have missed first time round. We currently have a problem with diesel bug, which is frustrating given that we use Marine 16 all of the tine.

Our tanks are under the side decks so cutting inspection hatches to enable cleaning isn’t an option unless we have both engines out. We do have a drain valve at the bottom of each tank so I am thinking that repeated polishing is our best option combined with adding either an additional Racor 500 on each side or a fuel purifier as TrondS has done.

Greg2

Visit site
Based on my experience, I would go for a purifying system. Filters can get blocked at the most inconvenient times.

I am having trouble finding one - it doesn’t feature on the Landau site and Google isn’t helping so I am wondering if they no longer produce them.

TrondS

Visit site
LandauUK was not the manufacturer of the fuel purifier. I just bought mine through them. I also see they have removed the sales part from their website.
I'd give them a call. Mine is the MFP10 unit, rated for a fuel flow of about 270 liters/ hour if my memory is correct.

Moonbeam

Visit site
Marine 16 do a 'diesel dipper' mechanical fuel polishing system which is still available. Any user reports from forumites who have installed one? https://www.marine16.co.uk/product-page/diesel-dipper

Incidentally, I have a UK canal boat friend and he said a lot of canal boats were reporting fuel quality engine problems this season. Many breakdowns... so much so that, according to him, the paid for RAC style 'river and canal rescue service' are asking owners to report problems as they seem to want to take a group action on the poor quality of fuel as it's costing them a fortune on call outs.