Diesel conversion

G

Can anyone tell me how difficult it would be to convert a 1979 Fairline Fury 26 i have seen from Volvo petrol engines to diesel, what the cost may be, the type of engine to use, whether it is likely to be able to get two second hand engines and any other information they may think is useful.

eddieperkins

Visit site
Hi,
Speak to Mike Bellamy at Lancing Marine on 01273 410025 for all you need to know. It is not difficult, certainly within the ability of a DIY'er and they have all the necessary bits. Cost varies according to engine spec and whether new or secondhand marinised but I think would be worth doing.
Good luck,
Regards,
Eddie

G

I have a friend with a Searay 240 who asked this same questions some time ago. After much searching around the best he could come up with was a lower powered engine (diesels are bigger than petrols) for about 10K....not really worth it so he is selling the boat. but ask yourself one thing....why are diesel boats so much more than petrol and will you get the money back. he thought no so didn't do it.

KevB

Visit site
Why not consider LPG conversion, costs around 30p per ltr, gives the performance of petrol at less than half the price. I did it and now saving a fortune. (only really viable if your southern coast as thats where most of the filling stations are).
Single engine conversion cost around £3000 and £4500ish for twin. environmentally friendly too!
Amazingly the boat runs better on LPG than on petrol, smoother engines and makes manoeuvring easier as it will tick over at lower revs. The only negative thing I have come across is cruising range, I carry about 220 litres of LPG and can manage about 65 miles before I have to switch over to the bank busting petrol. So if I'm travelling any further the trip is planned around LPG locations which thankfully there are plenty of.
If anyone is interested in seeing a converted boat I'm moored in Chichester.

Happy boating
Kevin.

J_Priedkalns

Visit site
I converted a Golf diesel with the help of Mike Bellamy in 1983. I installed the engine my sailboat and it has been running extremly well. Any engine parts required are allways available from any VW car dealer. It is a higher reving engine than the traditional marine engines, but quite acceptable when coupled to a Brunton 3 blade prop. Contact Lancing Marine for their catalogue and you will find that Mike and his crew are very helpfull even to boaters as far as Canada!