Diesel air heaters separate fuel tank outboard one ok?

MarcJ

Visit site
Hi there,
Been thinking through how/where I'm going to install a 5Kw chinese heater in our 27ft long keel yacht.
I've read up on the various ways of tapping into the existing system, because of access and getting a pipe across I think I'd prefer a separate tank for the heater. I've read lots of the threads on here, but haven't noticed anyone mention using a standard outboard remote tank that has a valve and hose on. One like this:
BOAT-FUEL-TANK-11-3-LITRE-Marine-.jpg

Seems to me, it would be good as you can disconnect the tank easily for filling, there's also a priming bulb to get the diesel through, most importantly I've got 2 spare! :) Is there any reason you can't just attach the end of the hose, via some adapter to the heater pump?

Thanks in advance!

superheat6k

Visit site
The current ones include a 10 lt tank. On my last boat I fitted an Eberspacher D4 which I ran on kerosene from a normal car petrol 5lt container. I drilled a small hole in the filler cap and just pushed the pickup tube in. We used the heater quite a lot and hardly ever had to refill it. 5lt was certainly plenty for a Winter weekend's boating. I kept a second 5lt with sealed cap for spare and refill purposes.

Daverw

Visit site
This is exactly what we have and works well, we have a fuel line taken off it via a valve, with a rubber bulb pump that allows the main tank to be filled, allows the heating tank to be a reserve tank

Porthandbuoy

www.backbearing.com
I use a Halfords 10 litre diesel fuel jerrycan. They come with two caps; one for the spout and one for transport. An in-line fuel filter, also from Halfords, is a perfect fit in the pouring spout cap. Fit a dip tube from the filter inlet to the bottom of the jerrycan and take the heater supply from the top. It seems to self prime okay without any need for a bulb.

Daverw

Visit site
Bulbs seem to be better with diesel than petrol, with had no issues with ours, over 4 years old, the one on our tender tank for the outboard needed changing every year

mickywillis

Visit site
If using an Outboard tank, ensure that the vent screw on the filler cap is open, otherwise you'll get a vacuum formed inside the tank and the small diesel supply pump for the heater wont be able to overcome it! Probably best to make up a vent hose from the filler cap or get a spare filler cap modified with a vent hose??

Phildorset

Visit site
If using an Outboard tank, ensure that the vent screw on the filler cap is open, otherwise you'll get a vacuum formed inside the tank and the small diesel supply pump for the heater wont be able to overcome it! Probably best to make up a vent hose from the filler cap or get a spare filler cap modified with a vent hose??

Agreed, I did just this, used a std 10ltr plastic fuel can, and adapted the vent screw by adding a length of clear fuel hose such that it extends about 400mm up above the tank & closer to the deck level of the locker that it is in, I've made up a plug (on a short peice of thin line) so that I can seal the tank when not using the heater + it won't now spill when sailing should I forget to pop the plug in.