Diesel additives to keep fuel tank clean

cmedsailor

Visit site
Do you recommend the use of any additives mainly to prevent problems in the fuel tank and keep diesel hoses clean? Will your answer be any different if the boat is brand new or not?
Do you recommend any specific products please?

TernVI

Visit site
I don't recommend relying on additives.
I'd recommend sorting out the system so it doesn't store water, not keeping your fuel for long periods and periodic checking that the system is clean and free of water. Also avoid having significant copper or brass in contact with the fuel.

That's how millions of cars avoid getting diesel bug.
If you want to add stuff to your fuel in addition to sorting out the system and looking after it, I beleive the Marine 16 stuff is as good as any. We carry some in case we end up with some bad fuel.

NormanS

Visit site
Many of us are unfortunately having to store our fuel for long periods. I filled my tanks a year ago, and because of covid etc, have not launched this year. My fuel will be at least 18 months old before I get a chance to use it. Having well designed tanks, fitted with sumps and drains, I'm not worried about diesel bug, but am concerned about slightly oxidised fuel.

cmedsailor

Visit site
I don't recommend relying on additives.
I'd recommend sorting out the system so it doesn't store water, not keeping your fuel for long periods and periodic checking that the system is clean and free of water. Also avoid having significant copper or brass in contact with the fuel.

That's how millions of cars avoid getting diesel bug.
If you want to add stuff to your fuel in addition to sorting out the system and looking after it, I beleive the Marine 16 stuff is as good as any. We carry some in case we end up with some bad fuel.

Fair points, but:
- "System doesn't store water" I suppose it means make sure that the filling cup (or whatever is called) on deck doesn't allow any water in.
- Not keeping your fuel for long" I hope it's the same as keep the fuel tank full because it's not so easy to empty regularly a 215lt tank (even with a 75hp engine)
- "Periodic checking that the system is clean and free of water". How do you this? Change filters regularly? Make sure you buy "clean" diesel (that's probably difficult to control)?

Will stuff like Marine 16 simply keep the fuel tank and subsequently the whole fuel circuit clean from bugs or they have direct effects on the engine (like an injector cleaner for instance)?

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
what sort of ratios ?
The Marine 16 (there are two types available ..... one to treat actual bug and one to use with clean fuel to make sure that it never grows) is just used in the ratio shown on the bottle. I have 400 litres so it's whatever that works out to ..... about 200mls from memory.

The injector cleaner I just use two bottles which are be designed for four car tank treatments.

Richard

TernVI

Visit site
Fair points, but:
- "System doesn't store water" I suppose it means make sure that the filling cup (or whatever is called) on deck doesn't allow any water in.
- Not keeping your fuel for long" I hope it's the same as keep the fuel tank full because it's not so easy to empty regularly a 215lt tank (even with a 75hp engine)
- "Periodic checking that the system is clean and free of water". How do you this? Change filters regularly? Make sure you buy "clean" diesel (that's probably difficult to control)?

Will stuff like Marine 16 simply keep the fuel tank and subsequently the whole fuel circuit clean from bugs or they have direct effects on the engine (like an injector cleaner for instance)?
If you have a badly designed tank with litres of water in the bottom of it, and keep your fuel for years, I don't think you can rely on Marine 16 or any other jollop to save you.
Water gets into the tank one wy or another, some can be dissolved in the fuel when you buy it. Deck fillers can leak water. Once you have a bit of bug, it can create its own water.
Many people have found a lot of water in the bottom of old tanks.
Fuel companies tell you fuel doesn't keep.
Fuel additive companies tell you to use treated fuel within 6 to 9 months, may vary from product to product, RTFM.

pvb

Visit site
I use Marine 16 Diesel Bug Treatment, every time I add fuel to the tank.

In the winter, after the boat's been stationary for a while, I take the access hatch off the fuel tank and pump out a litre or so of fuel from the bottom of the tank, then let it settle for a while to assess whether there's water or gunge in the tank.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Provided that you have no water leaks and there is no water in the fuel to start with, once you have treated the fuel you can keep it for almost as long as you like. The bug will have been destroyed and the only way that any more can get in is airborne through the tank vent. There's very little chance of that happening but, even if some bug could get in, it can't get to a water/diesel interface as that is at the bottom of the tank, assuming that there is any water in there in the first place.

The reason for the tank been kept full has always been the supposed "condensation" problem, but I've never bought into that.

Richard

TernVI

Visit site
The reasons for not storing fuel long term are not just to do with bugs.
Both fuel makers and additive makers advise against it.
Diesel fuel is a mix of substances, some of which are volatile, some react slowly with air, some break down or polymerise over time.

You can't beat knowing your fuel is fresh and trustworthy.
It's the same as having a motorbike wyou don't use over the winter, when spring comes, a tank full of potentially stale fuel is just uncertainty you can live without.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
The reasons for not storing fuel long term are not just to do with bugs.
Both fuel makers and additive makers advise against it.
Diesel fuel is a mix of substances, some of which are volatile, some react slowly with air, some break down or polymerise over time.

You can't beat knowing your fuel is fresh and trustworthy.
It's the same as having a motorbike wyou don't use over the winter, when spring comes, a tank full of potentially stale fuel is just uncertainty you can live without.
We've debated this a million times on here. The longest I will keep any fuel in a sealed container is about 10 years and the longest I will keep it in a tank with a small air vent is about 5 years. I will still use it after that period but will dilute it with fresh fuel. It was under the ground for about 50 million years prior to that, of course.

Richard

Visit site
It is worth bearing in mind if you don't keep your boat in the UK, you won't find Marine 16 abroad especially in the chandlers. you'll have to opt for something different for which you might not find any test data on.

As to the motorcycle reference. I used to ride mine in the winter. Even got into work on a ZX9R in the snow when many of the office car drivers couldn't. ;)

RJJ

Visit site
I use Fuelset. According to the blurb and to an article I read in YM or PBO, it allows the fuel and a small amount of water to mix, thus making it impossible for the bug to survive and also letting the water through the filters and thus (I guess?) evaporated off. A biocide will not do anything to disspate water. And it claims to be "green" which I think a biocide is not, although the quantity of fumes out of a capful or two must be pretty small.

I can't vouch for it of course, never having had a problem. There are those who say these potions are all nonsense, but I am not aware of any "negative evidence" in form of "I used X and still had a problem". Plenty of people who had problems though....

I am also persuaded the best prevention is to be careful about fuel sources.