Depth sounder but no inboard battery

VicS

Visit site
These
pl16268.jpg
Don't require batteries at all

SK700

Visit site
Garmin do a 'portable kit' for their Fishfinder. I dont know if it is anymore than an battery in a box.

Maplin occasionally do a camping battery which is a bit like a small jump starter with a 7ha sealed lead acid battery, ideal for running small electronics and easy to take home to charge.

Neil

Visit site
I have a Garmin 160 portable. The "Portable" bit is a combined battery box, come sounder mount, and which can hold the suction mount transducer and cable. It takes 8 D cells. They would last one "session" - for me, about 4 hours. Rechargeable is the only way it makes sense, but 8 D NiMH's, plus charger were dear enough. At the end of the day, I couldn't use the standard transducer (no where to put it, effectively), so I had to fit an internal Airmar P79, which works well. However, I think I will replace the portable box for a permanent mount, with a smallish 12v lead acid battery in the rear storage locker, to be recharged before every trip. The consensus on some other forums is that a 12-17 Ahr battery is enough to last the whole day.

Leighb

Visit site
Anyone know or have experience of a depth sounder which uses disposable or rechargeable batteries ?

I use a NASA deth sounder on my day sailer, power it with a small 12v battery- lawn mower type - others I know use burglar alarm batteries. One charge lasts me a long time with intermittent use.

markpageant

Visit site
Long lead led

Vic, thats a long electric cable for a transducer. You must keep the battery in the bows of your mega yacht, is the readout wireless ?

TQA

sailingonelephantschild.blogspot.com
have seen several on offer in the USA most like the one below are aimed at fisherman. They spend STAGGERING amounts of money to fish over here.

Norcross Portable Depth Sounder --Depth, fish, and bottom structure readings from 2.5 to 99.9 feet (.8 to 30.4 meters) --Instant depth updates to the nearest 1/10th foot or meter, updated four times per second --User selectable feet or meter depth readings --No glare, polarized virtuview lcd icon display --Fish identifier, depth scale, and 2-stage audible fish alarm --Battery strength indicator with battery save mode and auto power off --Weedid programming accurately depicts weed height --2 Button easytouch programming with quick reference guide --Pivoting lcd protector/display stand --Storage bag and adjustable neck strap --Trollable, mountable, and floatable sonar sensor with 35 feet (10.7 meters) of cable with cable tie-strap --Shoot thrutm sonar technology allows readings to be obtained through boat/kayak/canoe hulls and ice --Powered by 4 ?aaa? batteries --Water resistant to IPX4 standards

Still it should work fine on any boat.